Walking Paths/Trails

Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2019, 07:34 AM
Default Walking Paths/Trails

Hi - I am trying to find out if there are other walking paths I TV which have a softer/possibly rubber surface to walk on as there is in the Historic District. I love to walk but the asphalt/concrete does a number on my knees.

Thank You
Old 12-28-2019, 07:55 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

There is a pebble walking trail just off the wooden nature walk at the Fenney Rec. Center.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

I like to use the executive golf courses. No need to walk the paths.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:26 AM

Last edited by Oakley; 12-28-2019 at 08:29 AM. Reason: replied incorrectly
Old 12-28-2019, 08:28 AM

Thanks - do you walk while they are golfing? Many times I will walk the Springdale fitness trail in the grass.
Old 12-28-2019, 08:30 AM

Thank You - do you have to know the distance of the trail?
Old 12-28-2019, 08:35 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
Thanks - do you walk while they are golfing? Many times I will walk the Springdale fitness trail in the grass.
Pedestrian traffic is prohibited on all golf courses
Steve
Old 12-28-2019, 08:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

We walk Hogeye Trail (2.5 miles) which is asphalt, but has grass either side that can be walked on, just avoid the ant nests!
We also walk when playing Executive courses, and cannot understand why more do not do so, if not handicapped in any way.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
We walk Hogeye Trail (2.5 miles) which is asphalt, but has grass either side that can be walked on, just avoid the ant nests!
We also walk when playing Executive courses, and cannot understand why more do not do so, if not handicapped in any way.
Don't think I'd be walking in the grass areas.
Old 12-28-2019, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,148 Times in 2,247 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
Hi - I am trying to find out if there are other walking paths I TV which have a softer/possibly rubber surface to walk on as there is in the Historic District. I love to walk but the asphalt/concrete does a number on my knees.

Thank You
Oakley, you might try a good running sneaker. I had the same problem years ago when I was wearing dress shoes to work. I noticed on the weekends when I was in sneakers, no knee pain, I told my supervisor, and I have been wearing only sneakers since. I have also added additional arch supports, which provide additional cushion at the heels. The running shoes have more cushion than a standard sneaker. Hope this helps.
Old 12-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,310 Times in 544 Posts

A bit off the specific subject but does have to do with walking and jogging. Our Son commented during a recent visit regarding walking/jogging in The Villages. “This is a very dangerous place to walk or jog in.” I agreed. He usually walks about a mile and then jogs a mile - fluctuating back and forth for about 5 or 6 miles. Walking through a tunnel is terrifying and trying to cross a roundabout or 466A where there are no sidewalks is like “Russian Roulette.” The multi Modal trails are not much better as golf carts will run you over if you aren’t alert 100% of the time. We live in LaBelle so perhaps walking/jogging is less dangerous in other parts of The Villages. After all this is a golf cart community and that is what we signed up for.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Walking around neighborhood streets is the better way to go. Stay out of the tunnels and walking on sidewalks on major roads is safer although, these suggestions may get boring after a while.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:12 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,337 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
A bit off the specific subject but does have to do with walking and jogging. Our Son commented during a recent visit regarding walking/jogging in The Villages. “This is a very dangerous place to walk or jog in.” I agreed. He usually walks about a mile and then jogs a mile - fluctuating back and forth for about 5 or 6 miles. Walking through a tunnel is terrifying and trying to cross a roundabout or 466A where there are no sidewalks is like “Russian Roulette.” The multi Modal trails are not much better as golf carts will run you over if you aren’t alert 100% of the time. We live in LaBelle so perhaps walking/jogging is less dangerous in other parts of The Villages. After all this is a golf cart community and that is what we signed up for.
That situation might be what prompted The Villages to put in so many miles of great walking trails south of 44.
Old 12-29-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
Walking through a tunnel is terrifying and trying to cross a roundabout or 466A where there are no sidewalks is like “Russian Roulette.” The multi Modal trails are not much better as golf carts will run you over if you aren’t alert 100% of the time. .
I live in the suburbs of London and regularly run 13-18 miles home from Central London. Trust me golf carts are a LOT safer than the streets of South London, ESPECIALLY at nights with so many road junctions, dark smelly underpasses, and every driver thinking they are MadMax - there's no such thing as give way at junctions.... only seen one murder, a couple of drunks, been followed by a mugger (who gave up as i stuck to public roads at that point I became aware of him)... Then of course TV does have lots of rec centres with toilets (you'll get the importance of this if you're an older runner!!!) and water stations everywhere. It is all the safe running in TV that attracted us to Marsh Bend. It would be nice to have seen an athletics track at Everglades though, the only thing I think that was missed.
Old 12-29-2019, 06:13 AM

The walking path in the Historic side is rubber material. It’s also very scenic with huge old Live Oaks and mature greenery.
Closed Thread

Tags
walking, walk, asphalt/concrete, number, love

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.