Walking Paths/Trails

Closed Thread
Old 12-29-2019, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
A bit off the specific subject but does have to do with walking and jogging. Our Son commented during a recent visit regarding walking/jogging in The Villages. “This is a very dangerous place to walk or jog in.” I agreed. He usually walks about a mile and then jogs a mile - fluctuating back and forth for about 5 or 6 miles. Walking through a tunnel is terrifying and trying to cross a roundabout or 466A where there are no sidewalks is like “Russian Roulette.” The multi Modal trails are not much better as golf carts will run you over if you aren’t alert 100% of the time. We live in LaBelle so perhaps walking/jogging is less dangerous in other parts of The Villages. After all this is a golf cart community and that is what we signed up for.
The recreational trails are meant to be multi-use trails, to be shared by golf carts, walkers, joggers, cyclists, etc. Its a shame that golf cart drivers speed around at 20+ MPH with no thought to sharing the trail courteously. I try to walk early in the morning before the carts are out en masse.
Old 12-29-2019, 10:07 AM
Veteran member

I haven’t seen the rubberized surfaces anywhere else.

If you are looking for a short loop with no bikes or carts and a variety of surfaces the is one around Lake Sumter Landing. Start at the bus depot walking away from the lake. Cross Old Mill Run and use the brick walkway that takes you through the Chops patio. Walk along the lock and under the covered bridge. There you follow the asphalt path along the creek behind Gordon’s garage. That path continues along the scenic creek until you get to Old Camp Road, cross at the brick cross walk and it takes you through Creekside park. The park ends at the corner of Canal and Old Camp Road.

Then you can walk on sidewalk passed the shops, you can draw it out by turning and heading toward Citizen’s Bank and then head toward the water at the light. The wooden boardwalk starts at the lighthouse and goes all the way to the hotel. From there head back to the bus depot. This walk is bit over a mile.

As others mentioned, there are nature walks in the south. The Hogeye Sink walk is about 3 miles, and golf carts are only allowed on a small portion. You do contend with bikes there.
Old 12-29-2019, 12:52 PM
Default Walking Paths/Trails

My husband and I like to walk the trails at Lake Okahumka State Park on CR 44. If you like longer trails, just go around again, or reverse your path! Very scenic and mostly quiet (except near 44.
Old 12-29-2019, 03:09 PM

The track at the villages high School is a rubberized surface which is similar to the historic district surface that you are looking for. The track club meets there on M, W & F from 7:30-9:30. I understand they have "power? walkers" using outside lanes.
Old 12-30-2019, 08:21 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakley View Post
Thank You - do you have to know the distance of the trail?
The executive courses average about 2- 2 1/2 miles. Golf is just a way to ruin my walk. Not just a walk, always playing at golf.
Old 12-30-2019, 10:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Paradise Park in The Villages, Florida - 20 MAR 2017 - YouTube

The walking trail around Paradise Park is quite soft and it weaves around.
Closed Thread

Tags
walking, walk, asphalt/concrete, number, love

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.