Walking Paths in TV

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2011, 10:16 AM
Default Walking Paths in TV

I had a question asked of me which I could not answer, so I am asking the message board if anyone here has any knowledge of any PROPER walking paths within the Villages that would be SAFE. Safe I mean from the golf carts, cars etc. Is there such a thing or is the nearest the Florida Greenway anex's off 441 in Ocala/ Belleview?
Thanks for any info you may have!

Is it 5 o'clock yet?????
Old 02-05-2011, 10:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts
Default blondie, everything is relative. I am a daily walker

and have been using the multi modal paths for almost 6 years.
I don't know what a PROPER walking path is!
And the multi modal paths are SAFE. If they were not they would not be multi modal.

Yes one will run into a non conformist on the paths....once or twice in 6 years!!!
But I venture one would experience some type of "event" even on a PROPER walkway.

just my 2 cents. PROPER? SAFE?

btk
Old 02-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Default Walking paths

There is a walking path off of Bell Meade Circle in Springdale. Golf carts are not allowed. I see people on bikes from time to time. Mostly it's walkers.
Old 02-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Sage

As I've said many times before: Don't discount all the roads that have sidewalks. By definition aren't these safe proper walking paths? They don't even have bikes on them.

There are miles and miles of sidewalks (at least south of 466). i.e. Canal st. St Charles etc. etc.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:42 PM
Default sidewalks

Russ,
I agree with you, but the question was asked by a patient of mine whose husband is 98% deaf and was looking for a "safe" enviorment for him to walk without any danger of getting hit by car/golfcart, etc.
Thanks you all for your suggestions!

Is it 5 o'clock yet?????
Old 02-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie56 View Post
Russ,
I agree with you, but the question was asked by a patient of mine whose husband is 98% deaf and was looking for a "safe" enviorment for him to walk without any danger of getting hit by car/golfcart, etc.
Thanks you all for your suggestions!
For that reason I would still pick the sidewalks. That way the only problem would be when crossing a street but I would assume that he, unfortunately, has become accustomed to that. At least no carts, cars, bikes etc. on the sidewalks.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
There is a walking path off of Bell Meade Circle in Springdale. Golf carts are not allowed. I see people on bikes from time to time. Mostly it's walkers.
The Springdale walk path allows carts on the north side . . . carts are not allowed on the southern side but that part of the trail is only a 3/4 mile loop at best (there are fitness workout locations every 100 yards or so). Walking around the Polo Field and the high school track are pretty good and very safe.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

There is a beautiful walkers-only path at lake sumter landing. It goes from behind Barnes and Noble and Cold Water Creek all the way over to Creek Side Cabanas. Excellent for a casual stroll with benches, waterfalls, landscaping, birds, bridges.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:01 PM

Make sure he walks facing the on coming traffic. Then he can see the golf carts coming and the person talking on their cell phone not paying attention. I have had to jump off the path because of this more times than I care to remember, then they holler at me for being in their way.

I see a lot of people also walking the same direction the traffic is coming from, then the traffic or golf carts come from behind you and you will not see them. The sidewalks on the south side of 466 are probably best.
Old 02-10-2011, 10:05 PM

Isn't there a walking trail around Lake Miona Rec center.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj1213 View Post
Isn't there a walking trail around Lake Miona Rec center.
Yes, that's the most pathetic walking trail I've ever seen. We checked it out years ago and thought why they bothered to build it. You could have more fun walking circles around your home!!
Old 02-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Multi-modal Cartpaths

Caution walkers, especially those of you that walk before sunrise and after sunset. Those driving golfcarts may not see you for the following reasons: You have dark clothing on. You fail to carry a flashlight or something equivalent. Oncoming cars and carts blind golfcart drivers with their headlights. Bend and curves on cartpaths and shurbs blocks your view. I can tell you that I had to come to a complete stop many times because my vision was completely blocked from headlights. I strongly recommend that you take your walk during daylight hours. I do not view the multi-modal cartpaths conducive to safety. I wish the Developer had different paths for bikes and pedestrians from that of golfcarts. This is my opinion and I may be wrong and welcome fellow members editorial comments that may shed additional information that may alter my point of view.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
Caution walkers, especially those of you that walk before sunrise and after sunset. Those driving golfcarts may not see you for the following reasons: You have dark clothing on. You fail to carry a flashlight or something equivalent. Oncoming cars and carts blind golfcart drivers with their headlights. Bend and curves on cartpaths and shurbs blocks your view. I can tell you that I had to come to a complete stop many times because my vision was completely blocked from headlights. I strongly recommend that you take your walk during daylight hours. I do not view the multi-modal cartpaths conducive to safety. I wish the Developer had different paths for bikes and pedestrians from that of golfcarts. This is my opinion and I may be wrong and welcome fellow members editorial comments that may shed additional information that may alter my point of view.

Again - that's why I prefer all the streets with sidewalks - no carts or cars. Just a lot of dog walkers
Old 02-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Gold member

My wife and I run on the main streets during our summer visits to TV. We run before dawn and do not trust the cart paths (snakes and gators). You can see vehicle headlights a long way before they come close to you and we just jump up on the sidewalk or green belt until the vehicle passes. Not much traffic that time of the morning. Most serious runners know that concrete sidewalks and cart paths will absolutely kill your knees and feet. We run a minimum of 5 miles and often more and at those distances you cannot run on concrete without paying the price. I have always been able to find a place to run during all my travels. I once ran 53 laps around a quarter mile track on a Saturday morning because there was no other safe place to train. Talk about mind numbing.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman911 View Post
My wife and I run on the main streets during our summer visits to TV. We run before dawn and do not trust the cart paths (snakes and gators). You can see vehicle headlights a long way before they come close to you and we just jump up on the sidewalk or green belt until the vehicle passes. Not much traffic that time of the morning. Most serious runners know that concrete sidewalks and cart paths will absolutely kill your knees and feet. We run a minimum of 5 miles and often more and at those distances you cannot run on concrete without paying the price. I have always been able to find a place to run during all my travels. I once ran 53 laps around a quarter mile track on a Saturday morning because there was no other safe place to train. Talk about mind numbing.
Agree with the concrete theory. I mentioned the sidewalks more for the walkers. I have no trouble running in TV (even in the busy Jan-Mar time-frame).
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.