Walking with and riding against traffic

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2015, 10:30 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Walking with and riding against traffic

Why do so many people walk with traffic and some cycle against traffic? Is it a northerner or big city thing? This happens daily on the MMP and frequently on roadways. Do these people not realize how dangerous it is? Especially those who have earphones.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Sage

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)

Last edited by chuckinca; 01-24-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

You just can't fix stupid.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:12 AM
Sage

Apparently some communities ask for walkers to go 'with traffic'. My former community didn't ascribe to this BUT I did encounter a walker one time south of 466a who was walking this way. I approached her saying I wasn't trying to start anything but wanted to let her know it was a safety issue for her. She told me she was from CO. and in their community they were required to walk "with traffic". She thanked me. It could just be folks aren't aware and aren't trying to be obnoxious.
Old 01-24-2015, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,748 Times in 1,385 Posts

just like the many golf cart drivers here in TV these folks are doing things for the first time, because they can and there is a convenient place to do it.
And just like all the new golf cart drivers, have never had a lesson or discussion about what to do or not in the name of saftey!!!
Old 01-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Gold member

They seem to never have heard of wearing a white or brightly colored shirt, either, and insist on wearing grey, the color of the pavement and everything at dusk.

It seems like they think all car and cart drivers own 100% of the responsibility for the walker or bicyclist's own safety. It's arrogant and FOOLISH.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Apparently some communities ask for walkers to go 'with traffic'. My former community didn't ascribe to this BUT I did encounter a walker one time south of 466a who was walking this way. I approached her saying I wasn't trying to start anything but wanted to let her know it was a safety issue for her. She told me she was from CO. and in their community they were required to walk "with traffic". She thanked me. It could just be folks aren't aware and aren't trying to be obnoxious.
I think you hit the nail on the head!
Old 01-24-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
They seem to never have heard of wearing a white or brightly colored shirt, either, and insist on wearing grey, the color of the pavement and everything at dusk.

It seems like they think all car and cart drivers own 100% of the responsibility for the walker or bicyclist's own safety. It's arrogant and FOOLISH.
I don't think I'd call it arrogant, but it is certainly foolish. I doubt that anyone goes out there and actively thinks that they'll wear the least visible clothing possible, to see if they can have others avoid hitting them. I think that they just don't give the situation the consideration that they should. That's why I am extra vigilant when riding or driving around here. I assume that some people will do foolish things, and I'm too often not disappointed.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
Apparently some communities ask for walkers to go 'with traffic'.
That would be an interesting topic to research.
I thought all laws in North America required walkers to walk against oncoming traffic for safety reasons.
Our laws in Ontario, Canada, are consistent in that regard.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:56 PM
Default Yes, there is a Florida statute covering this

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
That would be an interesting topic to research.
I thought all laws in North America required walkers to walk against oncoming traffic for safety reasons.
Our laws in Ontario, Canada, are consistent in that regard.
Decided to do a quick search. Where there are no sidewalks, pedestrians are required to walk facing oncoming traffic. The statute covers a lot more than you ever wanted to know.

Here's a link:

Chapter 316 Section 130 - 2012 Florida Statutes - The Florida Senate

That said, foolish people will no doubt argue that the cart trails are not public roadways and they can do whatever they want. Just watch out for them.
Old 01-24-2015, 03:35 PM
Location: The woods of the UP of Michigan and the Village of Pinellas

In the state of MI bikers, joggers and walkers are required to go WITH traffic as opposed to AGAINST traffic. I absolutely hated that because of safety issues. But I am surprised to read here that in FL you are to go AGAINST traffic. Have to admit that I have not seen bikers doing that here in TV. Is it restricted to the MMP? Or should bikers do that on the regular streets also?

I'd rather regret what I've done, than regret what I've left undone. Lucille Ball
Old 01-24-2015, 03:55 PM

When people are walking WITH traffic, I tell Deanna that they obviously were not Cub/Boy Scouts as we were always taught to walk AGAINST traffic to be able to get out of the way of an oncoming vehicle. Bicycling WITH traffic is the thing to do.
Old 01-24-2015, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
In the state of MI bikers, joggers and walkers are required to go WITH traffic as opposed to AGAINST traffic. I absolutely hated that because of safety issues. But I am surprised to read here that in FL you are to go AGAINST traffic. Have to admit that I have not seen bikers doing that here in TV. Is it restricted to the MMP? Or should bikers do that on the regular streets also?
Hi Suzi,

Regarding bikes, they are required to ride in the same direction as other vehicle traffic. Indeed, a bicyclist is considered a "driver" required to follow the same rules of the road as other vehicles, with some added specific requirements unique to bicyclists. For reference, the applicable law is Florida 316.003(1).

Last edited by Chazz; 01-24-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: error
Old 01-24-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
According to the Michigan state website:

"Pedestrians are reminded to:

Walk on the side of the road as far to the left as possible or on a paved shoulder AGAINST oncoming traffic where there are no sidewalks;"

SOS - Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Tips
Old 01-25-2015, 07:28 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Where I used to live, we had this very narrow road (think typical roadway in England) that cut through a subdivision on the way to a local golf course. It was a main artery through this subdivision. You can just imagine the cars speeding down this road late to their tee times. There was no sidewalk along this road. Talk about the perfect storm! I especially cringed when, more than once, I would see a young mother pushing her baby in a stroller WITH this traffic. One sneeze; one dropped cigarette, one phone call, and there could be a monumental tragedy. Fortunately, in 20 years there, I never heard of a pedestrian getting hit.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.