Walking with and riding against traffic

Closed Thread
Old 01-25-2015, 08:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
According to the Michigan state website:

"Pedestrians are reminded to:

Walk on the side of the road as far to the left as possible or on a paved shoulder AGAINST oncoming traffic where there are no sidewalks;"

SOS - Pedestrian and Bicycle Safety Tips
Never heard of bikers going against traffic anywher that I have lived. Florida law requires that pedestrians(including joggers) use sidewalks when available-- no exceptions.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:28 AM

It's not a "northern thing". I grew up in CT and when I joined the boy scouts, one of the first things we learned was to always walk against the traffic if sidewalks were not available. Very dangerous walking with traffic.
Old 02-24-2015, 12:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
....Florida law requires that pedestrians(including joggers) use sidewalks when available-- no exceptions.
That brings up another question....when a sidewalk is available, why do so many people walk in the street anyway?
Old 02-24-2015, 01:02 PM
Sage

I found that walking sideways like a crab with traffic is the safest way to go. It does take a little longer but you can wear headphones and listen to Diane Rhem to pass the time..
Old 02-24-2015, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzi View Post
In the state of MI bikers, joggers and walkers are required to go WITH traffic as opposed to AGAINST traffic. I absolutely hated that because of safety issues. But I am surprised to read here that in FL you are to go AGAINST traffic. Have to admit that I have not seen bikers doing that here in TV. Is it restricted to the MMP? Or should bikers do that on the regular streets also?
I checked on this Michigan state government website:

It states:

Walk on the side of the road as far to the left as possible or on a paved shoulder AGAINST oncoming traffic where there are no sidewalks"
Old 02-24-2015, 09:17 PM
Gold member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Average Guy View Post
According to the Michigan state website:

Walk on the side of the road as far to the left as possible or on a paved shoulder AGAINST oncoming traffic where there are no sidewalks;"

First, this is Florida. The rules are simple. When riding, ride with traffic. When walking, go against traffic.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Kiefer View Post
First, this is Florida. The rules are simple. When riding, ride with traffic. When walking, go against traffic.
First, my post was in response to someone who stated that in Michigan the law is to walk with traffic. I was pointing out that that was not true.

Second, you merely restated the same thing that I posted.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Never heard of bikers going against traffic anywher that I have lived. Florida law requires that pedestrians(including joggers) use sidewalks when available-- no exceptions.
Nothing in your post contradicts the Michigan laws that I referenced.

Last edited by Average Guy; 02-24-2015 at 10:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-24-2015, 10:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

As kids, we were always taught to walk against traffic and ride bikes with traffic, a safety thing. Over the years, I've worked several calls where people walking along a state or US highway, with the traffic, were hit by something thrown at them by passing vehicles. I've always walked against traffic so I could see if anything is thrown at me, but, I won't have to worry about that in The Villages.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:22 PM
Gold member
Default Walking with traffic

I had the unfortunate experience to have had a traffic accident by hitting a walker that was walking with the traffic. It was at sunset and as I drove down the street and came around a small bend I was blinded by the sun. My reaction was to slow down and proceed cautiously until I could regain my positioning. At that exact time and circumstance a visiting couple were walking side by side with traffic. I clipped the woman who was on the outside with my side view mirror and she was knocked to the ground with a broken arm. This was my first car accident in 51 years and although I didn't get a ticket I still am haunted by the incident. Fortunately the victim is recovering nicely.
Skip 2
Old 02-25-2015, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
I had the unfortunate experience to have had a traffic accident by hitting a walker that was walking with the traffic. It was at sunset and as I drove down the street and came around a small bend I was blinded by the sun. My reaction was to slow down and proceed cautiously until I could regain my positioning. At that exact time and circumstance a visiting couple were walking side by side with traffic. I clipped the woman who was on the outside with my side view mirror and she was knocked to the ground with a broken arm. This was my first car accident in 51 years and although I didn't get a ticket I still am haunted by the incident. Fortunately the victim is recovering nicely.
Skip 2
What a traumatic experience for both parties! Glad that the result wasn't much worse!
Old 02-25-2015, 03:37 PM
Default Pennsylvania

Bicycle with traffic, walk against traffic.
Old 02-25-2015, 03:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip2MySue View Post
Skip 2
Must have been horrible; that is something that will haunt you and make you wary when driving into the sun. Hope everything is better for all.
Old 02-25-2015, 05:50 PM
Sage

Can't believe we have people in their 50s - 80s who still need to be told what side of the road to walk or bike on!
Old 02-25-2015, 06:53 PM
Sage

I'm not comfortable walking on a cart path or multi-tasking lane. When my hearing was 20/20 it wasn't the case.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.