Walking with the traffic

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2018, 10:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
It is a northern thing? Seriously safety and common sense should come in play. Pedestrians walking thru dark tunnels and blind curbs need to be extra aware.
Simply using that as a point of reference as to where I am reporting from and that the road conditions in this area being so dangerous (no berm) that to not be walking on the proper side of the road is unwise to say the least. That's all......NOTHING more. My OP was intended as support of your original OP, not as a point of contention.

Last edited by Abby10; 11-24-2018 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 05:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
Just saw the previous post with the copy/paste of the actual statutes. Seems the rules in Florida are the same as the rules here in Connecticut, for the most part. Here it is, bolded for emphasis:

So yes - you walk on the sidewalks when available. If there's no sidewalk, and it is practicable, you should walk on the left side. This also means that if it is NOT practicable, then you should stick with the right side. Left side = preferred, when it makes sense to do so. But not obligatory.
There are always exceptions to the rule. Bottom line is walk facing the traffic if you can.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 11-24-2018, 11:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
Agreed, walking AND RUNNING with the traffic is dangerous but I don't believe it is "against the law" especially on MMPs where the law wouldn't apply or be enforceable if there was one. We walk every morning between Amelia and LSL and we see RUNNERS running with traffic with headphones all the time along the MMP and wonder how they don't get hit by some crazy golf cart drivers who don't even slow down going around blind curves (like heading north or south on MMP just before the Stillwater crossing). We've almost been run down there multiple times by folks going full speed around that totally blind curve in either direction. Now we walk in the deep wet grass to save ourselves there. I don't think some of these drivers understand the purpose of a brake pedal.
I agree:

When I walk on MMP I walk on the edge facing traffic and ready to step off. When walking with someone, when traffic approaches we fall in single file and ready to step off the MMP Incase two carts and we meet. I don’t take no changes, if I think it’s going to be close I step off, the grass is not going to ruin my shoes.

I see some special people walking two or more abreast crowding or over the center line with out care in the world thinking the world revolves around them. IMO it don’t and they are creating dangerous situations. Where I walk not as busy or crowded as around squares.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:02 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Simply using that as a point of reference as to where I am reporting from and that the road conditions in this area being so dangerous (no berm) that to not be walking on the proper side of the road is unwise to say the least. That's all......NOTHING more. My OP was intended as support of your original OP, not as a point of contention.
Sorry, I was making a joke.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Walkers on the MMP's SHOULD have just as much right to walk on the pavement (single file, not taking up more than half of the trail width), but all too many carts don't want to slow down to let opposing carts go by before going around the walkers...so stepping off in the grass is simply a prudent act of self-preservation.

Walking facing traffic is obviously the smart thing to do, but there might be an argument made in walking in the same direction, i.e.:...at least then you'll never see what hits you.
Old 11-25-2018, 08:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Sorry, I was making a joke.
Ditto on the sorry. Obviously I misunderstood.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:35 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abby10 View Post
Ditto on the sorry. Obviously I misunderstood.
Closed Thread

Tags
traffic, walk, sidewalks, facing, dangerous

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.