Walking trail in The Villages - right or left side?

Closed Thread
Old 08-16-2020, 07:11 PM

[QUOTE=Debfrommaine;1818319]Always walk on the left side facing traffic.

That's how I have always interpreted the "rule". Ride with, walk against! Riding a bike or anything other than walking, you travel on the right side with traffic. If you are walking, you belong on the left side, which should be against (facing) traffic.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
if it's a foot path and no car or carts allowed, I tend to treat it like a sidewalk and walk on the righthand side of the path

if bikes use the path, stay alert, as someone coming up behind you on a bike should be saying "on your left" as they approach you...which means they intend to pass you on your left side...and you should move to the right of the trail
I don’t know if it’s true everywhere, but up north there were forest preserve paths that were used by walkers, joggers, bikers and roller bladers, and it was common courtesy if you were about to pass someone you’d let them know by saying “on your left” as you approached.
We all traveled on the right, in the same direction!
Old 08-16-2020, 08:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,507 Times in 3,104 Posts

Yeah where we lived, if it wasn't open to motor vehicles, then everyone is on the right. And anyone who wanted to pass the person/people ahead of them just said "passing" or "on your left" or "coming up behind you" or some other indication that they're about to pass.

In other words, the responsibility is with the person doing the passing, not the person moving at a slower pace.

We treated it like a sidewalk. Lots of little kids just learning to ride their 2-wheeled bikes ride their bikes on the sidewalk. And they're taught to ride on the right side of the sidewalk, and ring their little bell to pass people.

This is stuff we learned when we were little kids growing up in the suburbs. We continued this behavior in summer camp, when we were hiking on trails, if we were walking pretty much anywhere where there wasn't motor vehicle traffic.

Basically - if it's shut off to vehicles with motors of any kind, then it's "pedestrian traffic" and you travel on the right side of the path. Even if you're jogging, and wanting to pass the walker ahead of you, you call out so the walker isn't startled.

It looks from this thread that my experience was hardly unique.
Old 08-16-2020, 09:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
if it's a foot path and no car or carts allowed, I tend to treat it like a sidewalk and walk on the righthand side of the path

if bikes use the path, stay alert, as someone coming up behind you on a bike should be saying "on your left" as they approach you...which means they intend to pass you on your left side...and you should move to the right of the trail
If it’s walking trail no bikes should be on it.
Old 08-17-2020, 05:27 AM

ditto
Old 08-17-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
Always walk on the left side facing traffic but was politely told that on a walking trail with bikers (no golf carts/cars) to walk on the right?
Whoever told you that is....well, let's just say don't believe everything you hear. Walk facing oncoming traffic. It could save your life.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:37 AM
Location: Chicago area but spend a month every year in The Villages

In the Midwest, where I am from, people walk on the right side of the lane. Apparently, in the East, people walk on the left side with traffic coming toward them. Actually, I think walking on the left side is much better, because you can see traffic coming toward you, which I like.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:46 AM
Default Bikes are considered to be traffic

Bikes are considered to be traffic, that is why they are allowed to ride on a road, and as traffic, they are always on the right side of the road. I grew up in the Midwest also, and we did not have sidewalks, we had country roads to get around, and you always face traffic. You do not leave it up to the bikers for your safety. Besides, there are a lot of walkers with earbuds in their ears, and can’t hear a biker telling them they are on their left. When you face the biker, which I am one also, they can see you, and you can see them. I have met two people that were hit by bikes from behind.
Old 08-17-2020, 06:46 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
If there is ANY type of moving vehicle on the road or path be it a bike, golf cart or skateboard I want to see it coming before I inadvertently step into it's path and get waffled and end up on a slab. Not sure what (if any) "official rule" there is but when I walk I walk facing any possible thing that has wheels coming at me. Anyone who told me otherwise I would smile and politely say "thank you for your information, I will take it under advisement."
Instead of smiling and saying BS, why not be honest and say "I feel safer seeing traffic coming at me". The truth might actually help the other person reassess their position.
Old 08-17-2020, 07:49 AM
Default Walking

On rail trails where there are bikes and people you walk on the right
Old 08-17-2020, 08:09 AM

Quote:

This is exactly what I thought. Walk on the right. I walk on the walking trail along side of Marsh Bend Trail and there are no cars or carts allowed on it. There is bicycle traffic and occasionally a skater. I have never encountered a walker on the left side of the trail. Everyone is always on the right side. So, I just assumed we walkers were supposed to be on the right. If that is incorrect, I would love to know. On the other hand I don't want to be the only one on the left. LOL!
Old 08-17-2020, 08:12 AM

Always walk on the right side. Do you drive down Buena Vista or Morse on the left side because you want to see coming? Do you drive down SR 44, 75 or the Turnpike on the left side? Again to see what is coming. You will surely meet your maker sooner by doing so.
Old 08-17-2020, 09:21 AM

If you had read your newcomers information pack it is a combo walking, skating and bike path when it has double post at cross road. Multi paths have one pole and are for walkers, bikes, skaters, golf carts. People riding bikes in the street really run the risk of getting hit by vehicles especially services pulling trailers as they cut the corners into the golf cart street paths and drive to fast. You’re right till your dead right
Old 08-17-2020, 09:28 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts
Default Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Not really a walking trail if there are people riding bikes?
Spot on.
Old 08-17-2020, 10:23 AM
Veteran member

I bike the trails west of the turnpike frequently and all I can say is you who are walking on the right side of the trail with your back to traffic (yes, bicycles are traffic) are an accident waiting to happen. Between the noise coming from the turnpike and our reduced heading abilities, even if I yell "on your left" as I'm coming upon you, my experience says more often than not, you'd don't hear me. And with you walking with your spouse and your dog, taking up most of the pathway and unaware that I'm coming behind you, there is going to be a collision at some point. Why be oblivious to what's going on when all you have to do is walk on the correct side of the path, facing oncoming traffic.
Closed Thread

Tags
walking, left, side, walk, trail

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.