Walking in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2020, 05:36 AM

It seems to me that it would be infinitely more desirable to step into the grass and let the cart pass. There could be a car passing the golf cart as he is passing you. Would you do the same if there were a car coming instead of a golf cart? I have walked on the side of many roads without sidewalks or walking lanes and, whenever a car is coming towards me, I ALWAYS step off the road into the grass. C'mon folks, is that too much to ask? As a cart driver, I get frustrated at people walking in the cart lane because they dont want to be "close" to other walkers even though they are wearing masks.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:37 AM

TV with a lack of sidewalks is not very walker friendly. An over reliance on golf carts, is a contributing factor why most villagers, like most Americans are overweight and out of shape.
Seems most village residents just accept it with the resulting health problems and shortened lifespan.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:58 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwittig1 View Post
I have been taking some long walks recently but find it is getting very dangerous. I try to use the residential streets and intermodal paths as much as possible but part of my walk takes me onto Enrique Drive where I have to use the golf cart lane because there are no sidewalks. I walk against traffic so I can see what is coming at me. 90% of the carts move over into the car lane to go around me but there is a brutal 10% who like to play "chicken" and don't want to move over. They drive right right at me and when they see I am not moving they swerve at the last second to avoid hitting me. Some yell insults as they go by. I believe walkers are entitled to use our streets just as much as the golf carts are. They seem to think that it is I who should jump off the street so they don't have to move. I will stand my ground on this and when I get hit my first call will be to Dan Newlin who I am confident will get me a bundle like he advertises.
I recommend buying a bicycle bell with a sound you like and screwing it or wiring it to a piece of wood or a walking stick and carrying it around with you. If you aren’t sure an oncoming cart driver sees you, ring the bell to get the driver’s attention. Or get one of those ooga horns with a rubber bulb and carry that. Or a boat air horn attached to a can of compressed air if you really want to startle the driver. Or you could buy a hand bell like old night-watchmen used to carry and ring it when you see a cart coming. You could even start crying out “Unclean! Unclean!” like a biblical leper. As others have said, don’t assume that any driver is NOT on autopilot while driving a golf cart. Some are! One is all it takes to take your life.
Old 05-19-2020, 05:59 AM
Default Average age in the villages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
You are living in a community that has an average age of 67 according to a Daily Sun article. How many of these senior drivers have poor eyesight or have trouble concentrating on their driving? I'm sure there are cart drivers who don't have a drivers license because of their physical or mental inability to safely operate a motor vehicle. And you want to play chicken with these drivers? What good will a large lawsuit award do you if you are dead or paralyzed because you wouldn't get out of the way?
Not to change the subject, but I believe 67 is the average age in Sumter county. In the villages it’s in the 72-73 range and further supports your point.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:06 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,682 Times in 632 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drdoug49 View Post
TV with a lack of sidewalks is not very walker friendly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FenneyFanatic View Post
That’s another reason I love the southern villages, where we have dedicated walking paths..
DrDoug, you are absolutely correct. That is why we have stopped walking around our neighborhood of Osceola Hills.

Fortunately, we live close to the Southern Area. We go down there several times a week so we can walk or ride a bike without being concerned about being hit by a car or a golf cart.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:09 AM

You could carry an orange caution pillon with you as you walk and set it down in front of you as you wait for the golf cart to pass.?
Old 05-19-2020, 06:11 AM
Veteran member

It's wonderful to walk, good for you, but please do not wear dark clothes!! Get something bright on so us cart drivers can see you before and not at the last minute. Also, for you cart drivers at dusk/dark, please, please, use your turn signal!! Don't stick your arm out to indicate a turn and expect the person coming up on you in a car or cart to see that arm sticking out. It's dark people!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:18 AM
Veteran member

It is by far safer and easier for you to walk a few steps on the grass than for a Cart to swerve into the middle of the path. I really can't comprehend such lack of consideration for others.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:27 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

no sidewalks = 'horrid' - interesting observation
note to op - next time golf cart doesn't move out of your way, stick out a foot & trip it - that'll teach 'em manners
Old 05-19-2020, 06:30 AM

Paintball...
Old 05-19-2020, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
Amazing, why would you put yourself or others at risk?
Who are the "others" that are being put at risk.

The golf cart drivers / passengers?

Ridiculous!
Old 05-19-2020, 06:31 AM
Veteran member

I think there are a few A—holes driving golf carts along with the incompetent ones that should never drive and don’t see ahead over 10 feet in front of them. As a walker maybe carry one of those hand held alert honkers to blow at them when they show their ignorance or incompetence.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:32 AM

Walking is allowed and legal and is good exercise. Carts must move over for pedestrians and cyclists, it's the law. If you are in a cart and want to follow the law, you will move over for walkers and cyclists. If you don't want to follow the law then you have no right to complain about anyone else who doesn't follow the rules, you are just as bad as they are.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 AM

You are going to cause a serious accident. Pedestrians do not have the right of way in that situation. Hate to tell you but Dan Newlin will tell you that at your age, there is not a high dollar settlement in your future. The formula they use doesn't work for senior citizens.
Old 05-19-2020, 06:36 AM

I was informed that the golf cart lane was for golf carts, bikes not walkers. I've seen walkers in the golf cart lane when right next to
them is a walk. You can't fix stupid if you want to play chicken with a car or golf cart.
Closed Thread

Tags
move, drive, golf, lane, walk

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.