Are wall studs wood or metal

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2021, 07:28 AM
Default Are wall studs wood or metal

In the new patio villas? Easiest way to tell?
Old 07-29-2021, 07:36 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metoo21 View Post
Get a good strong magnet it will stick to the metal stud floor to ceiling. Most interior walls have metal exterior walls traditional wood if it’s a poured concrete or block construction will usually have wood firing strips.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,105 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote:
I have found using a very small drill or nail, is the best way, it will stop on a metal stud and continue on a wood stud.. You will usually find the metal studs on the interior high walls as these are straighter than typical wood studs. We have a designer home concrete block circa 2013 and it has metal studs on the outside walls, and the tall interior walls, the kitchen laundry, and bathrooms are wood studs.

Also, depending on what you are hanging you should use the special hangers for metal studs, never use the plastic insert type hangers on metal studs. I have found for LIGHT duty hanging projects, a sheet metal screw works fine, with a SMALL predrilled starter hole for the screw, centered on the stud.
Old 07-29-2021, 10:35 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

Magnetic stud finder, pick one up at Home Depot.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:27 AM

Thanks. After reading many posts I thought they might be metal but have never had a home with them.
Old 07-29-2021, 11:43 AM

What makes things difficult is that there are mixed metal and wood studs in the home construction. No rhyme nor reason.

I've seen only a token number of steel studs, perhaps less than 20% in the homes we visited during construction.
--------------------------------------------
We live in interesting times
Old 07-29-2021, 12:01 PM
Veteran member

I was told by the the guy who built my place (new in Dec 2021) that all bearing walls used wooden studs and partition walls metal, you can get a set of blueprints , for a "fee" , that they could have just given the new owner.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:33 PM

All the permits for the home construction in Sumter County are available online, for free, at the eTRAKit website.

eTRAKiT

You can sign up for free account.

That said, I don't recall that level of detail in the plans submitted. I compared to what builder gave me, and what is at the eTRAKit website.

The magnet or drill method may be the only reliable way to find the few metal studs in new homes.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbomaybe View Post
I was told by the the guy who built my place (new in Dec 2021) that all bearing walls used wooden studs and partition walls metal, you can get a set of blueprints , for a "fee" , that they could have just given the new owner.
Not true for all houses. There are a lot of non-loadbearing wood stud walls.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:39 AM

I was told that The Villages completed a $40 million dollar manufacturing facility to make concrete weight bearing walls that require no metal or wood studs. In fact, they arrive at the job site with the wires already inserted and ready to construct the home - making it faster and more environmentally friendly. I believe this construction approach has been implemented in many of the new villas.

There is a quick description:
Concrete makes it possible to design very robust and durable buildings, and taking advantage of its thermal mass by keeping it inside the building envelope can help regulate interior temperatures. There is also an increasing use of precast concrete in the building industry, which offers advantages in terms of environmental impact, cost and speed of construction - especially if choosing carbon negative concrete CMU blocks using Carbicrete and also low-carbon concrete from CarbonCure.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:44 AM

Re:those new villas with pre-fab walls.

I believe those villas use pre-fab concrete walls for exterior ones. Inside walls are still stick construction, wood and steel studs.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2inOR View Post
All the permits for the home construction in Sumter County are available online, for free, at the eTRAKit website.
Thank you so very much for this link! Lots of useful information there.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,105 Times in 2,233 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorDave View Post
I was told that The Villages completed a $40 million dollar manufacturing facility to make concrete weight bearing walls that require no metal or wood studs. In fact, they arrive at the job site with the wires already inserted and ready to construct the home - making it faster and more environmentally friendly. I believe this construction approach has been implemented in many of the new villas.

There is a quick description:
Concrete makes it possible to design very robust and durable buildings, and taking advantage of its thermal mass by keeping it inside the building envelope can help regulate interior temperatures. There is also an increasing use of precast concrete in the building industry, which offers advantages in terms of environmental impact, cost and speed of construction - especially if choosing carbon negative concrete CMU blocks using Carbicrete and also low-carbon concrete from CarbonCure.
This is true, however you cannot install drywall directly over concrete. You still want some insulation and a vapor barrier, therefore you will still have some form of studs or firing strips.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I bought my home (not a PV, but I believe still relevant) from the original owners. They specified and paid for all metal stud construction. So the point would be, you could have wood, metal, or a mix. I would agree that taking a look a the original permit would be the best way to know. FYI, this house was still standing after the 2007 tornado. The neighbors were leveled.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:42 AM
Default Patio Villa Studs

Exterior walls are wood. Interior are steel. At least in modern versions.

Tags
wall, studs, wood, metal, patio

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.