Walmart Gift card scam

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2021, 10:16 AM
Default Walmart Gift card scam

I have used my Walmart gift card for several years mainly to receive cents off at the pump and with the Walmart app.
Recently I reloaded the card because it had zeroed out due to usage. I reloaded the card for $100. A few weeks later I attempted to use the card for a gasoline purchase. The balance was zero. I thought it may have just been an error or forgetfulness on my part as to when I had reloaded. So I used a regular credit card. The next time I was in a store the checker said in fact the balance was zero. I contacted Walmart gift card division they advised to file a police report and as of this writing all I get is we’re sorry. I’m not sure how this happens but beware of this scam. I would advise against using Walmart gift cards. If you do get a readout of transactions occasionally. If RD at store 9115 and an amount redemption 9115 is either an online purchase or a store that doesn’t exist. I have disputed this with my CC company and outcome is pending.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	FEB89888-724A-4ED2-AF4D-BDE76E53F4F6.jpg
Views:	4330
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	90795  
Old 09-14-2021, 10:23 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Weren't they able to tell you exactly where it was used ? Isn't there a website on the back of the card where you can go and check the transactions online? Store 9115 is in Las Vegas.

Article on Facebook same store #
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:36 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by erojohn View Post
I have used my Walmart gift card for several years mainly to receive cents off at the pump and with the Walmart app.
Recently I reloaded the card because it had zeroed out due to usage. I reloaded the card for $100. A few weeks later I attempted to use the card for a gasoline purchase. The balance was zero. I thought it may have just been an error or forgetfulness on my part as to when I had reloaded. So I used a regular credit card. The next time I was in a store the checker said in fact the balance was zero. I contacted Walmart gift card division they advised to file a police report and as of this writing all I get is we’re sorry. I’m not sure how this happens but beware of this scam. I would advise against using Walmart gift cards. If you do get a readout of transactions occasionally. If RD at store 9115 and an amount redemption 9115 is either an online purchase or a store that doesn’t exist. I have disputed this with my CC company and outcome is pending.
Just use a regular credit card with rewards
Old 09-14-2021, 11:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,108 Times in 2,235 Posts

My understanding, GIFT cards are just like DEBIT cards, NO protection. I am guessing there was a skimmer involved that captured your pin and account number, so hopefully with your police report you included the store where this was used. From personal experience these appear to be a very low priority with the local police. My stepson was a victim and we could not get the bank or the Sumter County police to do anything. We eventually just wrote off the several hundred dollars involved. I hope you fair better.
Old 09-14-2021, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,588 Times in 5,185 Posts

Quote:
If it was a Walmart gift card, why dispute the transactions with a credit card account? I don't think that dispute will go anywhere, unless Walmart sold you a defective gift card.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana1963 View Post
Just use a regular credit card with rewards
Getting the best deal has become sort of a sport. We do have a Wallmart card. If I recall to entice you it was $20 or $30 off on your first purchase and I think it is 5% off all you buy at Wallmart if you pay on time. On a regular credit card i think it is 1%. All of these,"rewards," the retailer pays for it. You get notin for nothin the retail store has to add that money into the cost. Aside, the contract with the credit card company says they cannot offer a cash discount. Most companies with their own name on a credit card have similar enticements.
Old 09-14-2021, 02:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,377 Times in 2,059 Posts

There are several articles about people losing money off gift cards to Walmart store 9115. Your story sounds slightly different in that you were reloading a card you had used for a while and not a brand new card off the shelf.

The multiple RL/RD looks suspicious. If store 9115 is walmart.com then a credit card would have been used to pay for those reloads. I wonder if walmart could provide any information on the card that was used. It was probably stolen too and won't help you recover your money but you never know.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 09-15-2021, 04:52 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,522 Times in 628 Posts

Quote:
Looks like you may have lost $300 by looking at the receipt.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:02 AM

Looking for a handyman.
Old 09-15-2021, 06:14 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,556 Times in 595 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thevillages2013 View Post
Looks like you may have lost $300 by looking at the receipt.
I know. And why would the OP keep reloading the card?? It took that long to realize someone skimmed the numbers?
Old 09-15-2021, 06:29 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,060 Times in 529 Posts

Appreciate the heads up. One question, you reloaded the card in a store?
Old 09-15-2021, 06:47 AM
Veteran member

Debit cards are cash . No protections . They are only good for certain uses .
Old 09-15-2021, 07:45 AM

Hate to say it, but most likely it was the cashier that took it. Walmart should know what all those transactions mean. They might not want to say the cashier took it. Plus at the end of the receipt it says zero dollars. So sorry!
Old 09-15-2021, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
There are several articles about people losing money off gift cards to Walmart store 9115. Your story sounds slightly different in that you were reloading a card you had used for a while and not a brand new card off the shelf.

The multiple RL/RD looks suspicious. If store 9115 is walmart.com then a credit card would have been used to pay for those reloads. I wonder if walmart could provide any information on the card that was used. It was probably stolen too and won't help you recover your money but you never know.
Credit Card v. Debit: What are the differences between them
Old 09-15-2021, 07:59 AM
Platinum member

Walmart and Amazon may be the two biggest scams out there. They both flood my gmail account every day with either offers, or to advise me my account is being blocked, which is quite a trick since I don't have accounts with either one and never have - or will.

Wells Fargo is another one to avoid. .
Closed Thread

Tags
card, walmart, gift, store, reloaded

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.