Want to do the right thing...

Closed Thread
Old 01-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Veteran member

This tree was very, very small when we moved in. It did not bloom but only shed leaves. Now we have the leaves and the thousands of blooms to deal with. On google the "Hong Kong Orchid" tree is said to be a very messy tree since it blooms for five to six months. I have been in most every Village in TV and never seen anything like this. I don't know if the person planted it but I doubt the developer did. I will find out.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:53 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
What would your attitude be if the tree that sheds blooms five to six months of the year were seven feet from your property line?.
Nothing like yours. I've dealt with things like this from where I came from and deal with much of the same things here, no different, lots of people think TV is a utopia, it's not.
Steve
Old 01-05-2020, 01:56 PM
Veteran member

On our previous property that we sold in TV of Caroline we had seven palm trees and five different varieties and this little tree is a hundred times more of a mess than all seven of the palms we had.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Veteran member

I do all my own yardwork in order to try to stay in shape at 74. You can bet I will keep my side "neat and clean and cut" per the restrictions but my neighbor is not doing the same and is requiring more work for me. We will try to see if she will replace the tree and we will agree to help. If it were in your yard you would be much less in agreement. I can assure you.
Old 01-05-2020, 02:03 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marathon Man View Post
Ah yes. "Almost guarentee" = "I don't know". She can simply make an application after the fact which will be approved.

If she has her yard taken care of by a lawn service, then it is surely in compliance.

I wouldn't want one of my neighbors blowing their yard waste into the street.
If the tree were next to your property you would have a different opinion. Easy for you to say "this or that" without the experience. Thanks anyway. Why not do with other real helping people do and tell me to move?
Old 01-05-2020, 02:06 PM
Veteran member

I'm signing off on this one. Writing a letter, trying to be nice and understanding to the person. We will see what happens.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
If the tree were next to your property you would have a different opinion. Easy for you to say "this or that" without the experience. Thanks anyway. Why not do with other real helping people do and tell me to move?
Perhaps. But I rather doubt that my opinion would be that I should go on line and complain about it.

Last edited by Marathon Man; 01-05-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:03 PM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
I'm signing off on this one. Writing a letter, trying to be nice and understanding to the person. We will see what happens.
I don't understand. You are writting a letter to your next door neighbor about a tree that is dropping blooms on your lawn? Is that correct? I'm trying to understand now. If that is the case why wouldn't you just go knock on the door and try to solve it man to man, man to woman, woman to woman, woman to man, or maybe just neighbor to neighbor?
Old 01-05-2020, 10:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,510 Times in 3,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIN574 View Post
I have a similar predicament as you.

Our neighbor has an oak tree near our property line. The acorns and leaves cover our yard and patio inches deep. When they fall, I have to clean them daily in order to enjoy our property. We made calls to the Villages offices and local landscapers (tree experts). We found out that if our neighbors were in compliance with standards and were unwilling to remedy the situation in our favor, the only thing we could do was trim whatever branches leaned over our property line.

Unfortunately, Steve may be brash, but he is correct. There isn't much you can do about it unless your neighbor wants to mitigate your dilemma. Our neighbors responded positively to our concerns by trimming the tree. BTW... It also worked for them, as they had less to clean up also.

Best
We have a tree in our yard that is way too tall, its branches too long, and the leaves fall all over everyone else's property. But it came with the house, and we just bought the house, and there's nothing "wrong" with it. If one of our neighbors offered to pay for its removal and replacement with something less obtrusive and overbearing, I would GLADLY agree. We can't afford to even pay someone to trim it, let alone remove it or replace it. We're on the ladder trimming the lowest branches ourselves just so they don't sit on the roof of the house.

It was probably an awesome shade tree 10 years ago but it's gotten out of control and doesn't look like it's ever been trimmed.
Old 01-06-2020, 05:04 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

I don’t think you have to worry about rot or mold from red bud pedals. Falling leaves Is just nature, if your still concerned, 2 minutes with a leaf blower could solve the problem.
Old 01-06-2020, 08:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

it took 8 years....Hummm bet more to story than just the tree
Old 01-06-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
I don’t think you have to worry about rot or mold from red bud pedals. Falling leaves Is just nature, if your still concerned, 2 minutes with a leaf blower could solve the problem.
I agree. I amazes me how petty people can be. "Let's sick the ARC folks on the woman." Seriously! The tree looks nice, and know that nobody else in the entire world gives a crap about your perfect lawn. If it really bugs you, go get a rake and spend 5 minutes perfecting your yard.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:13 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

This could easily turn into a "bad neighbor" situation. The question is: Which one is the bad neighbor?
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, lawns, tree, years, deal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.