Want to do the right thing...

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2020, 09:51 AM
Veteran member
Default Want to do the right thing...

Been in TV for eight years. Moved in new house on golf course four years ago. Single neighbor has what I think is an Eastern Redbud tree that started to bloom this year. With the warm Winter it has exploded and continues to explode with large purple flowers most of which end up on my lawn when wind is out of the South. I do my on yard work. This tree although beautiful creates a mess on her lawn and on mine. I have enough experience regarding lawns to know that if the blooms are not removed it will cause rot and possible fungus on both lawns. She already has signs of mole crickets on her lawn. I take pride in my lawn. How should I deal with this. She gets mad if I say anything. Are there TV guidelines to deal with this.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

IMO. If the lady does not wish to cooperate, there is very little you can do. Just take care of your own area.
Suppose you could offer to clear her area if you were so disposed.
The offer may make her more ameanable to suggestions about MC control.
As for the mole crickets, just try to make your area as unpalletable to them as you can.
A little bit of 'overspray' when treating yours could help provide a barrier!
Old 01-04-2020, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,041 Times in 368 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeForChange View Post
Been in TV for eight years. Moved in new house on golf course four years ago. Single neighbor has what I think is an Eastern Redbud tree that started to bloom this year. With the warm Winter it has exploded and continues to explode with large purple flowers most of which end up on my lawn when wind is out of the South. I do my on yard work. This tree although beautiful creates a mess on her lawn and on mine. I have enough experience regarding lawns to know that if the blooms are not removed it will cause rot and possible fungus on both lawns. She already has signs of mole crickets on her lawn. I take pride in my lawn. How should I deal with this. She gets mad if I say anything. Are there TV guidelines to deal with this.
Use your blower to return the buds to her lawn. Buy CrossXcheck or a similar mole cricket treatment from Home Depot or Lowes.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:29 AM

Quote:
TV guidelines for landscaping are that the landscaping plans must be submitted for approval by the Architectural Review Committee.
You can contact ARC to determine if she got such approval and you can review the approved plans to see if the offending tree was actually included as part of the approved plan/submittal.
If she did get approval, I think you are stuck.
If she didn’t get ARC approval, or if the tree was not included in approved plans) you could use this information as leverage in further discussions with her about the offending tree (ARC in response to a complaint could possibly demand that all non-approved landscaping be removed).
(Hopefully you received ARC approval for any landscaping work you have done, or this complaint approach could bite back)

If it were me, I’d approach her with an offer to pay all costs for removal and replacement of the tree with a new plant or tree that we would find mutually acceptable.
Old 01-04-2020, 10:43 AM

I have a similar predicament as you.

Our neighbor has an oak tree near our property line. The acorns and leaves cover our yard and patio inches deep. When they fall, I have to clean them daily in order to enjoy our property. We made calls to the Villages offices and local landscapers (tree experts). We found out that if our neighbors were in compliance with standards and were unwilling to remedy the situation in our favor, the only thing we could do was trim whatever branches leaned over our property line.

Unfortunately, Steve may be brash, but he is correct. There isn't much you can do about it unless your neighbor wants to mitigate your dilemma. Our neighbors responded positively to our concerns by trimming the tree. BTW... It also worked for them, as they had less to clean up also.

Best
Old 01-04-2020, 10:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
No one is disregarding any rules covenants or deed restrictions
best options offer to replace the tree live with it or move
Life to short to worry about a few events that are controlled only by mother nature
Old 01-04-2020, 10:56 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aw Man View Post
TV guidelines for landscaping are that the landscaping plans must be submitted for approval by the Architectural Review Committee.
You can contact ARC to determine if she got such approval and you can review the approved plans to see if the offending tree was actually included as part of the approved plan/submittal.
If she did get approval, I think you are stuck.
If she didn’t get ARC approval, or if the tree was not included in approved plans) you could use this information as leverage in further discussions with her about the offending tree (ARC in response to a complaint could possibly demand that all non-approved landscaping be removed).
(Hopefully you received ARC approval for any landscaping work you have done, or this complaint approach could bite back)

If it were me, I’d approach her with an offer to pay all costs for removal and replacement of the tree with a new plant or tree that we would find mutually acceptable.
Thanks for the response. I had already thought about checking with ARC and I plan to do that. This tree is a Hong Kong Orchid that blooms for five months of the year. Also paragraph 2.12 of my restrictions reads "Owners shall keep Homesites neat and clean" and grass cut. After the blooming stops I have to contend with the leaves. img_0066-jpg
Old 01-04-2020, 11:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIN574 View Post
I have a similar predicament as you.

Our neighbor has an oak tree near our property line. The acorns and leaves cover our yard and patio inches deep. When they fall, I have to clean them daily in order to enjoy our property. We made calls to the Villages offices and local landscapers (tree experts). We found out that if our neighbors were in compliance with standards and were unwilling to remedy the situation in our favor, the only thing we could do was trim whatever branches leaned over our property line.

Unfortunately, Steve may be brash, but he is correct. There isn't much you can do about it unless your neighbor wants to mitigate your dilemma. Our neighbors responded positively to our concerns by trimming the tree. BTW... It also worked for them, as they had less to clean up also.

Best
See my latest post. paragraph 2.12 says "Homeowners must keep property clean and neat". If this lady does that it will require daily cleaning. I don't think she wants to do that. Although most of the blooms are under the tree on her property probably 30" or more end up in my yard.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:06 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karostay View Post
No one is disregarding any rules covenants or deed restrictions
best options offer to replace the tree live with it or move
Life to short to worry about a few events that are controlled only by mother nature
See my latest post. Deed restrictions paragraph 2.13 about keeping property neat and clean. This will require daily maintenance if you see the photo for her to keep property neat and clean. I'm not moving as they will take me out of this home horizontally. Own two homes in TV now and I'm where I want to be.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:07 AM

The lawn under the tree looks healthy. The lawn in fore ground looks like it needs a lot of TLC. Is that her driveway?

I agree with the previous poster that suggests you work it out with her even if you have to reach into your own pocket some. Since it will be to your advantage.

Last edited by VIN574; 01-04-2020 at 11:15 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,370 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
The lawn under the tree looks healthy. The lawn in fore ground looks like it needs a lot of TLC. Is that her driveway?
Got to agree regarding the lawn. Ladies looks quite well maintained.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:23 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,668 Times in 529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
Another here that agrees.
Steve
Old 01-04-2020, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
You didn't read what I posted about restrictions. It says "Owners shall keep homesites "neat and clean" and grass cut." Her property is not neat and clean with hundreds of more blooms that will fall. The tree starts blooming in Nov and blooms for five months according to google. I was blowing them back in her property but have now started blowing them in the street. The cars run over the blooms, destroy them like mashing grapes and they pretty much go away. That may be my solution.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2020, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I agree with the previous poster that suggests you work it out with her even if you have to reach into your own pocket some. Since it will be to your advantage.
Lawn in front of the tree is mine and my lawn is much more healthy than hers over all. Point is her lawn is not neat and clean.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Neat and clean opinions vary. Community Standards' opinion will be the only one that matters, if you should decide to take that path.
Closed Thread

Tags
lawn, lawns, tree, years, deal

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.