Warning - Comcast Economy Internet Service

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2008, 10:55 AM
Default Warning - Comcast Economy Internet Service

I recently purchased the Comcast Economy Internet service for my new home in The Villages. The salesperson advised me that I was getting a 4Mbps download speed at a price of $24.95 per month. This seemed like a reasonable speed at a reasonable price.

Imagine my surprise when I found that the best throughput that I could get was measured at 0.74Mbps and normally far less. So when I call Comcast for support, their answer is that the Economy service is really on 768Kbps and not 4Mbps. They quickly added that the salesperson would be "coached" so that he would no longer misrepresent their offer. They also suggested that I could upgrade to their 6Mbps service.

I do not know if such misrepresentation is company policy or just an isolated instance but if you are interested in the Economy service please understand that it is only 768Kbps. This speed is adequate for video chats and normal browsing although it is obviously rather slow.

Unfortunately, we don't appear to have many options in The Villages. The only other internet access solution that I am aware of is Embarq DSL but that requires a contract and is part of a bundle.

regards.... Barry
Old 10-21-2008, 11:46 AM
Veteran member

I had Comcast service at 6Mbps and thought the price was outrageous, so I called and downgraded to the 4Mbps service at $24.95 a month. We didn't notice much difference in the speed for our purposes. (We don't play video games on-line though either!) If we are truly only getting 768kbps, it doesn't make that much difference to us. (Oh, wait a minute! Yes it does! To our checking account every month!)
Old 10-21-2008, 07:40 PM
Default Hi Barry

While this has nothing to do with Comcast (although I did just drop my movie channels after my bill rose $100+ this month), I did see Barry's name here and wanted him to contact me.
Barry, I did a private mailing to you with my email address regarding the flugelhorn you mentioned. I have not heard back from you. It is
<SABRMnLgs@AOL.com>.
Hope you get this message.

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.