Warning - Scam phone calls

Closed Thread
Old 12-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDoug View Post
You should tell block watch it looked like they were trying to break in houses but then they would probably tell you to call the police. One thing for sure they wouldnt ever come back.
it would have been effective, but not a good idea. In fact it may be a crime to make a false police report like that. Even if it isn't, it may tie up police resources from other places where they are needed more.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:05 PM
Default Sounds like the new scam "Ransomware."

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrudyM View Post
I just got a phone call from someone claiming to be from Microsoft saying they had detected a hack into my computer.
Its sounded like a scam, as when I asked them for my name they couldn't provide it (I am in a rental so they couldn't search it out) I then said if I have been hacked what is the Ip address for the computer and the Software registration info. They of course just repeated they were a service call that my computer had been hacked. I then said well I need to call my son at Microsoft and have him run a diagnostic then don't I. At this point they hung up.
Unless something has changed Microsoft does not monitor peoples computers. Has anyone else gotten this call?
Be very careful with unsolicited calls such as this one. Also a current scam will start with a red or blue screen with the reference "Stop." This is the FBI. You are in violation, etc, etc. DO NOT CLICK on any of these pop ups as they are an insideous form of Ransomware that will disable your PC. If you do not comply with their request(s), which typically is $300 to be sent to them and your pc will be released.
Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaLarry View Post
I got that call also. Told me that I had a virus in my windows. I told him, anytime I get a virus, I go to the doctor for a penacylin shot. It usually clears it. He said, no sir, it's your windows. I told him I just cleaned my windows last week, inside and out.
LOL.
Old 12-24-2013, 03:53 AM
Sage

Last edited by senior citizen; 01-24-2014 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2013, 05:22 AM
Sage

i avoid almost all scam calls because I don't pick up the phone unless Caller ID tells me it is a business or individual that I recognize. Or i pick it up and just lay it on the table by the TV
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.