WARNING from Sheriff's Office

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2020, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,156 Times in 1,919 Posts
Default WARNING from Sheriff's Office

I just received this warning in an email from a friend.......

This was posted by the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office and I am certain it will begin to happen in Martin County as well. It is common sense........

Alert: Law Enforcement and the Red Cross have advised that there are people going door to door indicating that they are from the CDC and authorized to do home testing for Coronavirus.

DO NOT LET THEM IN. THEY WILL ROB YOU. CALL THE POLICE! ALERT YOUR FAMILIES!!

================================================== ==========

We are a community of seniors. We should be alert to this too.

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-25-2020 at 03:32 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

The Red Cross doesn't go door to door. Everyone needs to maintain whatever common sense they've had - or acquire some if they never had it. Think back - in your lifetime. Have you EVER had anyone show up at your door, from the Red Cross, offering to give you ANYTHING, ever? I mean unless you were the victim of a tornado and "at your door" really means "at your tent flap in the emergency encampment sponsored by the Red Cross"? Answer: no, you haven't. Ever. So don't think that this time they will. No one *should* need an e-mail from a friend or a post on the internet to know this, ffs.

The sad thing isn't that there are people who would pretend to be with the Red Cross to gain access to your stuff. The sad thing is there a grown-azz adults, presumably of at least moderate intelligence, who will fall for it.
Old 03-25-2020, 11:56 AM
Veteran member

What is DCD?
Old 03-25-2020, 11:57 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,687 Times in 3,600 Posts

Nothing on their website.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:03 PM

///

Last edited by LuvtheVillages; 03-25-2020 at 09:29 PM.
Old 03-25-2020, 12:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,398 Times in 2,256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The Red Cross doesn't go door to door. Everyone needs to maintain whatever common sense they've had - or acquire some if they never had it. Think back - in your lifetime. Have you EVER had anyone show up at your door, from the Red Cross, offering to give you ANYTHING, ever? I mean unless you were the victim of a tornado and "at your door" really means "at your tent flap in the emergency encampment sponsored by the Red Cross"? Answer: no, you haven't. Ever. So don't think that this time they will. No one *should* need an e-mail from a friend or a post on the internet to know this, ffs.

The sad thing isn't that there are people who would pretend to be with the Red Cross to gain access to your stuff. The sad thing is there a grown-azz adults, presumably of at least moderate intelligence, who will fall for it.
I don't see where it was mentioned that the Red Cross was going door to door. Just something called the DCD.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-25-2020, 03:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
What is DCD?
Oops. Thanks. I fixed it.
Old 03-25-2020, 03:35 PM
Sage

Quote:

You misread what the warning says. It says that Law Enforcement and the Red Cross are warning folks that "people" are going door to door.......etc., etc. Please re-read my original post. Thanks.

Last edited by coffeebean; 03-26-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2020, 04:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Yes you copied and pasted a viral facebook post that has been regurgitated for the Coronavirus. It's been going around for years, and applied to SARS and various and sundry hurricanes and tornadoes over the years. It's a "virtual chain mail" thing. Some of them specify that the Red Cross is offering free testing (which is why the Red Cross is even mentioned in this thing), either as a just "as is" statement or "on behalf of the CDC". In the past they've offered free testing, free vaccinations, or requested donations. They have always been fraudulent scams.

In other words - this is not a new scam. That's what I'm getting at: that this isn't a new thing.
Old 03-25-2020, 06:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Yes you copied and pasted a viral facebook post that has been regurgitated for the Coronavirus. It's been going around for years, and applied to SARS and various and sundry hurricanes and tornadoes over the years. It's a "virtual chain mail" thing. Some of them specify that the Red Cross is offering free testing (which is why the Red Cross is even mentioned in this thing), either as a just "as is" statement or "on behalf of the CDC". In the past they've offered free testing, free vaccinations, or requested donations. They have always been fraudulent scams.

In other words - this is not a new scam. That's what I'm getting at: that this isn't a new thing.
It may not be a new thing but it may be new to some folks. Why not let everyone know there are bad people out there. I hadn't heard about this before so I was very appreciative to my friend to inform me of the dangers out there.
Old 03-25-2020, 07:24 PM

Quote:

Well said. Kudos to you.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I just received this warning in an email from a friend.......

This was posted by the St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office and I am certain it will begin to happen in Martin County as well. It is common sense........

Alert: Law Enforcement and the Red Cross have advised that there are people going door to door indicating that they are from the CDC and authorized to do home testing for Coronavirus.

DO NOT LET THEM IN. THEY WILL ROB YOU. CALL THE POLICE! ALERT YOUR FAMILIES!!

================================================== ==========

We are a community of seniors. We should be alert to this too.

good to know, thanks for sharing
Old 03-26-2020, 07:09 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Nothing on their website.
Thank you..
Old 03-26-2020, 07:55 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,199 Times in 461 Posts

Sadly, our judgement may be impaired by age. That is why so many of these scammers target older people.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:08 AM
Send a message via AIM to navair4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by eremite06 View Post
What is DCD?
if you mean CDC as mentioned in an earlier post, it's "Center for Disease Control."
Closed Thread

Tags
warning, alert, door, county, sheriffs

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.