Warning Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default Warning Villagers

They walk among us....This story was relayed to the "ole boy" during a round of golf yesterday.....His cart partner (A REALLY REALLY BIG GUY) had an "encounter of a third kind", while driving down Morse Blvd in his STREET legal golf cart, a car came by and "threw-up" a string of expletives, and told him to get his "@#$% - @#$%!!!! golf cart off the road....Well this REALLY REALLY BIG GUY telling this story with a smile, decided to follow this guy into the SL square, parked next to him, picked him up off the ground, and asked for an apology, which he was given immediately, put the man down and drove away....Why oh why, when it comes to road rage and some forums on TOTV, do we feel a sense of security??? to speak our mind, right or wrong, assuming that there would be no consequence for these decisions!!! The old golden rule comes to mind for me!
Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 AM
Founder

The "big guy" who followed and picked up the shouter would be guilty of assault, assuming his story is true. The "big guy" could go to the "big house."

Shouting remarks out a car window is not a crime.

Having said all that, I did exactly the same thing to a kid on a bicycle about 30 years ago. He swore at my family and me as we sat at a red light. You should have seen the look on his face when I got out of the car and dragged him off the bike and made him apologize. I'll bet he never did that again. I'm glad I didn't get arrested
Old 05-20-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
They walk among us....This story was relayed to the "ole boy" during a round of golf yesterday.....His cart partner (A REALLY REALLY BIG GUY) had an "encounter of a third kind", while driving down Morse Blvd in his STREET legal golf cart, a car came by and "threw-up" a string of expletives, and told him to get his "@#$% - @#$%!!!! golf cart off the road....Well this REALLY REALLY BIG GUY telling this story with a smile, decided to follow this guy into the SL square, parked next to him, picked him up off the ground, and asked for an apology, which he was given immediately, put the man down and drove away....Why oh why, when it comes to road rage and some forums on TOTV, do we feel a sense of security??? to speak our mind, right or wrong, assuming that there would be no consequence for these decisions!!! The old golden rule comes to mind for me!
It seems to me that both parties in this story are to be condemned. The guy had no right to admonish the cart driver regardless if he thought the cart driver was wrong. The cart driver had no right to follow the individual and physically intimate the fellow into an apology. Of the two wrongs, it is my thought the physical intimidation was the worst of the two.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:09 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Interesting story.... I'll bet the REALLY, REALLY BIG GUY could be charged with assault in a court of law. Don't know, just saying.

Not sure which is the most ill advised behavior...shouting the expletives or following the shouter to the square and confronting him.

I'm keeping my headphone on! You can yell at me all you want...I'll smile, wave and continue on my oblivious way, assuming you were telling me to have a nice ##$%#* day ....
Old 05-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebartle View Post
Interesting story because you never know who you are dealing with if someone develops "road rage". It seems like common sense if you are offending someone, there could be a reaction. It's always best to not gert invovled in these type of scenarios. It always saddens me that some of these incidents can turn out to be deadly.

I can't speak of other people but when I am on TOTV, I try to be respectful of other people's point of view and do my best to not offend anyone. I personally get upset if I didn't state what I was trying to say clearly and it results in a misunderstanding.

I believe in the saying, "I agree that we disagree" and not get into any arguments with anyone. You can't be in an argument if one party decides not to participate. If I do something that is wrong, I would be the first to apologize.

It don't cost nothing to be nice.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:27 AM
Sage

Fortunately, the REALLY REALLY BIG GUY kept his cool. Sounds like that situation could have easily spiraled out of control. What if the person(s) in the car had a weapon?

I usually let Sandy handle those kinds of situations for us...........

Bill
Old 05-20-2011, 08:49 AM
Sage
Default None of it is good

Road rage is road rage, regardless of whether the drivers are driving an automobile or a golf cart on the road. Both are dangerous if they snap and explode uncontrollably.

I, too, like the swift, direct dealing with the jerk, but it is too dangerous now. If the jerk is drunk and carrying a weapon, it's all over....for innocent bystanders too.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM

After considering both sides of the situation and also the opinions/observations of the posters so far-I support 95% of what the big guy did.
Can't condone the physical touching- sticks/stones vs. words hurting me and all- but the foul-mouthed driver needed a lesson in decorum.

It's obvious that the foul-mouthed driver had no intention of demonstarting concern or providing assistance to a cart driver who might made a left at Albuquerque and unintentionally ended up on a roadway.

W/out getting all philosophical here, of all the available civilized behavior options, the foul-mouthed driver instead chose to rant at a fellow human being who was not causing any harm to anyone other than a slight inconvenience bc the cart was traveling slower than the car.

Such uncivilized behavior that goes unchallenged often continues. And there can be but generally not always a risk in challenging such behavior. If I was a big guy, I probably would not be too worried about retaliation by an obvious bully; I figure that my size and demeanor would deterrent enough.

I say to the big guy, thanks!! for challenging the behavior, but please keep hands off unless the situation truly warrants it. I wouldn't want the bad things happen to a good guy. To the driver, I say quit being a punk and a bully and start following jebartle's reminder about the Golden Rule.

As for me, I will continue to follow/observe the Golden Rule as does jebartle but I will also continue to challenge poor behavior in whatever appropriate but legal manner works for me.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:18 AM

Obviously we're not in Texas. It wouldn't matter how big the 'big guy' was if the other guy had a gun.

I used to get angry about that sort of stuff, but not anymore. I refuse to allow someone else to control my emotions that way. I just assign them a certain number of 'jerk points', laugh, and go on my way. Of course, if they threaten my wife all bets are off. I don't much care what people say to or about me, my wife is a different matter entirely.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:18 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-n-Brillo View Post

... I usually let Sandy handle those kinds of situations for us...........

Bill
Finally, someone with a little common sense!

oh yeah, while we're at it . . .
Old 05-20-2011, 11:16 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,502 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

I have met Sandy Brillo and she could handle it...even if she is kinda small....and really sweet too. (ARE you SURE, Bill?)

I am glad someone is there to defend them.

AS for me...WHERE AM I when all this stuff happens??? Here I am, several years past 21 and people don't shout obscenities at me. They may mutter them, but I keep my hearers on low.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Eternal Member
Default Curious

jebartle -
I am curious. Does the BIG GUY know if the car driver was a Villages resident?

Rescuing one cat may not change the world, BUT for that one cat, the whole world will change.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by memason View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I have met Sandy Brillo and she could handle it...even if she is kinda small....and really sweet too. (ARE you SURE, Bill?)
I'm STILL laughing out loud at both your comments!

Bill
Old 05-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Philosophically, if more people expected to be held accountable for their actions, maybe we would find ourselves back in the "ole days" when people actually cared for others.
Old 05-20-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
Philosophically, if more people expected to be held accountable for their actions, maybe we would find ourselves back in the "ole days" when people actually cared for others.
... and by the way, please don't make Texas sound like everyone here is packing!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.