Warning Villagers

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Sage

Having said all that, I did exactly the same thing to a kid on a bicycle about 30 years ago. He swore at my family and me as we sat at a red light. You should have seen the look on his face when I got out of the car and dragged him off the bike and made him apologize. I'll bet he never did that again. I'm glad I didn't get arrested[/QUOTE]

I did that to a (9??)year-old kid once. He rode his bike right into my car. I grabbed his bike and threw it in the back of my station wagon. I said I"m taking your bike to your house - now if you don't want to tell me where your house is, I'll just take your bike. He told me, I had words with his mother, end of story.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:00 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talk Host View Post
The "big guy" who followed and picked up the shouter would be guilty of assault, assuming his story is true. The "big guy" could go to the "big house."
TH,

Just a nit I need to pick.

Assault is the threat of physical violence against another. Battery *is* physical violence against another person.

No one has the right to put their uninvited, unwelcome hand(s) on another person.

Dirigo

"Live life while you're alive, because when you're dead, you're dead a long time".- Roland Michael Curtis
Old 05-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Founder

More nits to pick. Today, while some states continue to separate the two crimes of assault and battery, many have combined both under one single assault statute.
In the state of Florida the statute says: An "assault" is an intentional, unlawful threat by word or act to do violence to the person of another, coupled with an apparent ability to do so, and doing some act which creates a well-founded fear in such other person that such violence is imminent.

Could be that the "big guy" is guilty of "Assault and Battery." Two for one.

JLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirigo View Post
TH,

Just a nit I need to pick.

Assault is the threat of physical violence against another. Battery *is* physical violence against another person.

No one has the right to put their uninvited, unwelcome hand(s) on another person.

Dirigo
Old 05-20-2011, 02:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts
Default sorry, don't know

You mean there is a difference between a Village Jerk or an Outside Village Jerk!.....tee hee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandgal View Post
jebartle -
I am curious. Does the BIG GUY know if the car driver was a Villages resident?
Old 05-20-2011, 08:24 PM

I have to commend Big guy,I think Big Mouth might think twice before ruining some one elses day...............life IS like a box of crackerjacks,you never know what your gonna get!
Old 05-20-2011, 11:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
I did that to a (9??)year-old kid once. He rode his bike right into my car. I grabbed his bike and threw it in the back of my station wagon. I said I"m taking your bike to your house - now if you don't want to tell me where your house is, I'll just take your bike. He told me, I had words with his mother, end of story.
Good for you jblum!

I'm not so sure about the wisdom of following a car and confronting the driver. It could have turned really ugly.
Old 05-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Veteran member

If the guy that cussed big guy out had a license to carry a concealed weapon, big guy could have been shot as he had threatened the cusser with bodily harm. Just not a smart move at all.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:36 AM

We hear many stories on the golf course. I take many with a large grain of salt, but do enjoy a good story, especially those about an Ace that missed by inches!

Road Rage is a phenomenon that has been around forever, but due to the escalation that results in death or injury we hear about it more often. Taking a breath and dismissing the insult is the best response to road rage, avoiding the escalation and more serious consequences that result when two hot headed individuals meet in public.

If you do allow yourself to respond badly to a road rage incident keep this in mind:

1. You or your family be harmed, a lot of people carry guns today!

2. You could be arrested and read about your bad behavior in the
Daily Sun the following morning! Plan on Anger Management School instead of a golf day.

3. Sued in civil court for damages. Not to many jurors will understand your side of the story. Is it worth it?
Old 05-21-2011, 10:36 AM
Veteran member

Two things about this story.

First, I doubt it really happened.

Secondly, if it did happen, the Really Big Guy was an idiot. If some dude came up to me and threatened me like that, I would have called 911 and had his Really Big Butt thrown in the slammer. If he did happen to have a weapon, even longer time in the slammer. Oh yeah, big time lawsuit, too.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Warning villagers

Keep in mind that battery can be no less than taking one finger and poking it at someone (i.e un ivited touching) Assault is a verbal form that leaves one to believe they are in harms way based on whatthe person said. We all have read the horror stories that ended with tragedy. In Minnesota a guy followed a woman several miles to her home and when she opened the door he threw battery acid in her face. I too ignore hot heads while on a roadway or cartpath. I do believe this story. I also witnessed a si milar even at Publix, Southern Trace. A guy in a Cadillac SRX apparently cut off some very big guy in a golf cart in front of the store. The golf cart driver jumped out of his cart yelling expletives that actually hurt my ears and tried to pull the Cadillac driver out of his car to beat him. Thankfully the testerone leveled off quickly and they both were on their way. One final thought when I do run into a hot head what helps me is I try and imagine or guess what IQ they hold becuase intelligent people know how to roll when events don't go their way. In ottherwords they think first then react responsibly. I adomonished my kids to "don't get mad, don't get even..get ahead
Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Carolyn View Post
Obviously we're not in Texas. It wouldn't matter how big the 'big guy' was if the other guy had a gun.

I used to get angry about that sort of stuff, but not anymore. I refuse to allow someone else to control my emotions that way. I just assign them a certain number of 'jerk points', laugh, and go on my way. Of course, if they threaten my wife all bets are off. I don't much care what people say to or about me, my wife is a different matter entirely.

Now that is the real "cool" thing to do. That is also my believe, life is too short and just wish all would realize what they have and how lucky you are to even be here.

Glad someone has a the right thinking.

aj
Old 05-22-2011, 10:25 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
One final thought when I do run into a hot head what helps me is I try and imagine or guess what IQ they hold becuase intelligent people know how to roll when events don't go their way. In other words they think first then react responsibly. I admonished my kids to "don't get mad, don't get even..get ahead
Wise words from Rubicon.
Old 05-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill & Carolyn View Post
Obviously we're not in Texas. It wouldn't matter how big the 'big guy' was if the other guy had a gun.

I used to get angry about that sort of stuff, but not anymore. I refuse to allow someone else to control my emotions that way. I just assign them a certain number of 'jerk points', laugh, and go on my way. n my wife all bets are off. I don't much care what people say to or about me, my wife is a different matter entirely.
I like you style, B&C. Had occasion to apply your system today. I assigned 10 jerk points to a youngish lady in a golf cart causing a dangerous situation. I must admit I did advise her "That was not wise" and she got the message as she managed to run a red light a moment later, probably to avoid me.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:52 PM

I'm just say'n............ where do you folks conceal these weapons,when your wearing shorts and a golf T
Old 05-22-2011, 08:07 PM
Sage

Apparently, neither Road Rager nor REALLY, REALLY BIG GUY knows about the TV Girls Posse. They'd better watch their step (and mouth).

P.S., Bill, thanks again for the popcorn. Sandy, welcome to the posse.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.