WARNING - Watch Out for This Scam if You Are Selling Something in Classifieds

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2020, 08:19 PM
Exclamation WARNING - Watch Out for This Scam if You Are Selling Something in Classifieds

I received this text this evening from (773) 644- 5103 wanting to purchase items I had for sale in classifieds.

IT IS A SCAM - BEWARE AND DO NOT RESPOND!!

The message says.....“Am from Chicago, am okay with the price and condition,i will like you to remove the post as am sure buying from you,i will issue a certified bank check to you and once you get the check and clears your bank,i will engage the service of a shipper for pickup at your address,get back to me with your info to mail out check,i will need this info such as

Full Name :
Address or P.O Box:
City :
State and Zip Code:”
Old 11-24-2020, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdinparadise View Post
I received this text this evening from (773) 644- 5103 wanting to purchase items I had for sale in classifieds.

The message says.....“Am from Chicago, am okay with the price and condition,i will like you to remove the post as am sure buying from you,i will issue a certified bank check to you and once you get the check and clears your bank,i will engage the service of a shipper for pickup at your address,get back to me with your info to mail out check,i will need this info such as

Full Name :
Address or P.O Box:
City :
Had the same person call me about a motorcycle I had listed on this site...do a Google search and you will find out he is using this scam on many people.
Old 11-25-2020, 08:05 AM
TOTV Moderator

Thanks for the reminder/warning.

People have to be registered members of TOTV to see your contact info on Classified ads. If you can identify what their TOTV member name is, we can ban their account and IP address. If they only contacted you via text you may not have this info.

Even with our protections, scammers can get through. As with any internet commerce/trading site, be very cautious when dealing with strangers. This particular payment request should rightfully raise red flags.

Be safe out there!!!

Old 11-25-2020, 08:54 AM

The grammar, the punctuation, the spelling, the message, all are a blaring clue that this is a scam.
Old 11-25-2020, 07:42 PM
Veteran member
Location: The Villages - Formerly Atlanta Endicott and Syracuse NY

Very old scam .. especially on craigslist.. always good for a reminder.. any classified ads should come with a cash and carry line .. no exceptions. I once got three emails with nearly exactly same wording in same day .. sent all three of them a joint email and told them what to do to themselves
Old 02-01-2021, 04:42 PM

Quote:

Full Name :
Address or P.O Box:
City :
I received a text message from this number (773-644-5103) this morning. It is nearly verbatim. I blocked the number and deleted the message. Beware of these scammers.
Old 02-01-2021, 05:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,460 Times in 3,088 Posts

Don't forget also - those who want to be cheeky and respond and try to scam the scammer:

By responding to them, they now know that yours is a legitimate account, with a legitimate phone number, and that you actually respond to your text messages.

They can now sell your phone number to every scam artist and listing service in the world, for a tidy profit.

If you get a lot of spam messages and e-mails, most of them are because you actually responded to at least one of them in the past year (even if it was to tell them to bug off).
Old 02-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Don't forget also - those who want to be cheeky and respond and try to scam the scammer:

By responding to them, they now know that yours is a legitimate account, with a legitimate phone number, and that you actually respond to your text messages.

They can now sell your phone number to every scam artist and listing service in the world, for a tidy profit.

If you get a lot of spam messages and e-mails, most of them are because you actually responded to at least one of them in the past year (even if it was to tell them to bug off).

YEP, and NEVER UNSUBSCRIBE from any SPAM emails you get. That immediately opens up the flood gates and you're doomed to spam hell.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,460 Times in 3,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
YEP, and NEVER UNSUBSCRIBE from any SPAM emails you get. That immediately opens up the flood gates and you're doomed to spam hell.
Unless it's to a service/website you know you signed up for and just don't want to continue getting mail from anymore. I had to unsubscribe to Belk's and Nordstrom's because of that.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Unless it's to a service/website you know you signed up for and just don't want to continue getting mail from anymore. I had to unsubscribe to Belk's and Nordstrom's because of that.
Yea, true, but I don't consider that kind of stuff "spam" just unwanted emails I agreed to get without reading all the disclaimers or opting out when I ordered from somewhere.
Old 02-14-2021, 08:23 PM

Quote:

Full Name :
Address or P.O Box:
City :
Same number still doing business. 773-644-5103. I received text tonight and after a few questions about condition of item posted I had posted for sale, I received almost verbatim instructions to pull posted item; will send certified check; engage service of shipper for pickup & request for my full name & address.

Follows the same scam model frequently seen on Craigslist with poor grammar and punctuation. Beware the operation is still alive and be vigilant in your screening of perspective buyers of your posted goods.
Old 02-15-2021, 08:46 AM

If the message has the word "shipper" or PayPal account # it is a scam. Also look for poorly written phrases as they are most likely foreign.
Old 02-15-2021, 09:27 AM
Exclamation I figured I’d open the he door and let the scammer send me a trophy check

I received it in a couple of days, $1950.00 for a $600 drill. My good new friend with a Nigerian accent was happy to let me keep an extra $50 for cashing the check and giving is shipper the drill and $1300 in cash as soon as the check clears the bank, that would never happen because I knew it was a scam. This guy was relentless sending texts asking if it cleared yet I let him think I deposited it., and I was waiting he said it cleared on his account and I should set up pickup .
Of course I didn’t do anything, for my fun I now have a bank check I will frame to remind me how easy it is to prey on decent people and scam them.
Moral to my story s if it sounds to good to be true it is. Sellers beware.
Closed Thread

Tags
check, info, classifieds, scam, state

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.