Warning. When shopping at Aldi Grocery store

Closed Thread
Old 07-09-2014, 04:27 PM
Default Warning. When shopping at Aldi Grocery store

I shopped today at the Summerfield Aldi store by Lowes and Home Depot on 441/27. Attached to the fresh meat rack was a yellow store sign advising that the choice round steak was $4.99 a lb. Directly behind the sign were cuts of choice round steak, however the price was $5.99 a lb. on the packages. I located the manager and related the price difference between the advertising sign and the actual price to be charged. The manager's response was " So, what is the problem?" I told them that the price advertised should reflect the price I would be charged. He then asked what I thought he should do and I told him to change the display sign. He refused and said that the lower price yellow sign would remain and it was the corporate policy not to change the yellow signs. He then stated that it was better than no sign even though he knew it was not the correct price.
I later sent an email to the corporate office asking them to clarify what I consider to be blatant and deceptive practices.
It would be very wise to double check your prices when shopping at Aldi grocery store. The manager definitely has an attitude and was unwilling to correct a wrong. I was not trying to buy the meat at the lower price.
Old 07-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Sage

No yellow signs to worry about over at the Fresh Market (3740 Wedgewood Ln). The manager and employees do not have a bad attitude either!
Old 07-09-2014, 05:07 PM
Platinum member

Doesn't it really all come down to pickle slices on a cheeseburger.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 07-09-2014, 05:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi View Post
I shopped today at the Summerfield Aldi store by Lowes and Home Depot on 441/27. Attached to the fresh meat rack was a yellow store sign advising that the choice round steak was $4.99 a lb. Directly behind the sign were cuts of choice round steak, however the price was $5.99 a lb. on the packages. I located the manager and related the price difference between the advertising sign and the actual price to be charged. The manager's response was " So, what is the problem?" I told them that the price advertised should reflect the price I would be charged. He then asked what I thought he should do and I told him to change the display sign. He refused and said that the lower price yellow sign would remain and it was the corporate policy not to change the yellow signs. He then stated that it was better than no sign even though he knew it was not the correct price.
I later sent an email to the corporate office asking them to clarify what I consider to be blatant and deceptive practices.
It would be very wise to double check your prices when shopping at Aldi grocery store. The manager definitely has an attitude and was unwilling to correct a wrong. I was not trying to buy the meat at the lower price.
This sounds like a big communication problem.

Did he say that when you rang out at the cash register, the higher price was the one you would pay?

In many instances, the cash register has been programmed to ring up the special price regardless of what is stamped on the package.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:05 PM

He said that the price would be $5.99 at check out. I didn't buy it.....went to Publix. It wasn't the price.....it was the principle.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:56 PM
Gold member

Quote:
He said that the price would be $5.99 at check out. I didn't buy it.....went to Publix. It wasn't the price.....it was the principle.
I agree its the principle.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Sounds like this manager may not have been the brightest bulb on the tree.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
Doesn't it really all come down to pickle slices on a cheeseburger.
Your cheeseburger had pickle slices?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Sounds like you had a legitimate beef.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Soaring Eagle member

You did the right thing by sending a message to the corporate office.
When there is a problem, if you don't tell management, nothing will ever change.
If you tell management and they do nothing, you go a step further as you did.

So often, management is not aware of issues unless the public makes them aware of them.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Platinum member

I've been in Aldis a few times and really don't see the advantage. Looks to me like slightly cheaper prices for very inferior products!
Old 07-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Good for you going to Publix, sometimes we need to vote with our feet.
It sounds like false advertising by Aldi to me.
And good for you emailing corporate about it..
Old 07-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Sounds like this manager has a comprehension problem. Your point was obvious.
Old 07-10-2014, 01:56 AM
Sage

When "Shopping" one tries to find the best value. Complaining about less than best value items could take all your time.

If you "shop" at Aldi, Publix, Walmart, Winn Dixie, Fresh Market, et al you will find some best value items in each store but no store will have all best value items.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 07-10-2014, 05:48 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Cool

Actually, being overcharged for sale items seems to be common practice in almost all stores these days. I don't just mean the supermarket, but other retail establishments, as well.

There will be a price marked on the shelve or the clothing rack, but when you checkout, the computer will not have that sale price, so you get charged normal price. If you don't catch it, well, you know...

Our experience has been that about 30% of the our sales items will ring up at the normal price and we have to tell the cashier... Don't think it's intentional, but the computer just doesn't get updated in a timely fashion.

So, it's not just Aldi's...it's happening everywhere.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.