Wartime sacrifice

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2020, 06:27 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick demis View Post
World wide there are a large percentage of scientist whose research prove that unless you are wearing a very effective mask, they are useless, that means that 99% of the masks being used are useless. I guess the science only matters if it fits your narrative.
Useless in what regard? Useless as a protective measure for the wearer of the mask or useless to protect others?

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-27-2020 at 06:36 PM.
Old 10-28-2020, 09:18 AM
Location: Citrus Grove from Village of Santo Domingo & Sterling Hts Michigan
Default Perfect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windguy View Post
During World War II, Americans were asked to make many sacrifices. They were asked to limit their consumption of meat and processed foods because the soldiers abroad needed them. Sugar rations were half of what people normally consumed. Gasoline was limited to three gallons per week. People were asked to wear warmer clothes so that less fuel was needed to heat their homes and offices. People were asked to take shorter showers. People were even asked to contribute their rubber hoses so they could be converted into tires. These were REAL sacrifices and, thankfully, most Americans did their patriotic duty to help in the war effort. And, although such sacrifices were hard on civilians, they were NOTHING compared to what many men and women sacrificed when the put their very lives on the line to fight the enemy. I doubt that a large percentage of the populace complained that their rights were being taken away. People were true patriots then and they showed it by making sacrifices to help with the war effort instead of merely wrapping themselves in the flag and proclaiming their “rights.”

We are at war again. But this time the enemy is invisible. The enemy doesn’t honor front lines, but sneaks past those who risk their lives every day to fight this war. If the enemy touches you, you become an unwitting assistant in its battle against us. This increases the risk to our friends, families, and our front-line “soldiers,” the people who work in our hospitals and clinics. But, we know how to win this war. It really is quite easy. If we all made the tiniest sacrifice of wearing a mask, we could beat this enemy in no time. Such sacrifices are NOTHING compared to what our parents made to win WW2. So, we now call them “The Greatest Generation.” Sounds pretty good, doesn’t it? Do you think we rate such a moniker? I don’t think so. Because of our defiance in helping with the war effort, we will probably be known in the future as something more like “The Selfish Generation.” Many of us refused to wear a mask because it was our “right” to go uncovered. Really? Oh, the humanity! We greedily hoarded toilet paper, sanitizer, and the PPE that robbed our front-line soldiers of the battle gear they needed to fight the war. We are NOT patriots. We pale in comparison to our parents. We should be ashamed.

Be a REAL patriot. Wear a mask.
Beautifully said. It sad that 40% of America can’t see it, it starts at the top.
Old 10-28-2020, 12:35 PM

Fake news. Masks do NOT limit tge spread of tge virus and I am sick and tired of people trying to guilt everyone into wearing masks by calling us selfish. The CDC just released a report showing that, of all the people who have tested positive for Corona virus, 84% of them wore a mask "most of the time or all the time". Only 16% of those testing positive did not wear a mask or wore it only if mandated. So tell me now, which group would you rather be in?
Old 10-28-2020, 02:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Sorry OP you were only at war as you call it if you were on the front line in any healthcare facility... sitting at your computer does not count in my book as fighting anything.

Then think of the over 600,000 healthcare workers wearing multiple masks, gloves, hats, booties, duel gowns, goggles, or shields Still tested Positive for Covid. Do you really think one mask is going to do a better job? After 5 months on the front line, I have in person experience, not something I read online.

I support wearing a mask in closed space, but I know it will not stop me from Covid if the person next to me is positive.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
Sorry OP you were only at war as you call it if you were on the front line in any healthcare facility... sitting at your computer does not count in my book as fighting anything.

Then think of the over 600,000 healthcare workers wearing multiple masks, gloves, hats, booties, duel gowns, goggles, or shields Still tested Positive for Covid. Do you really think one mask is going to do a better job? After 5 months on the front line, I have in person experience, not something I read online.

I support wearing a mask in closed space, but I know it will not stop me from Covid if the person next to me is positive.
Like you, during the early months of the Covid outbreak I worked the frontline. I went from my job as a primary care R.N. case manager in a hospital based primary care clinic to triage nurse of patients with Covid symptoms which many later found positive. Fortunately for me with my high exposure and only PPE during that time being a flimsy surgical mask which I was issued only a new one weekly I never contracted Covid. Eventually my facility got it's act together and created an isolated Covid screening and treatment area with designated staff which allowed me to return to my previous case management work.

All that being said, what has concerned me more than anything which I have witnessed many negative outcomes as a result, is those already medically fragile patients who faced a delay in much needed care because all the focus has been on Covid. In addition to surgery delays, countless patients have had colonoscopies, mammograms, and other procedures that can early detect equally deadly diseases as Covid where initiation of early treatment is imperative to enhance their chances of survival.

At present being the R.N. on a team of one full-time internal medical doctor, and one part-time along with several support staff both my doctors are booked out until February for in clinic face to face patient appointments. As best as they can they try to do daily multiple telephone and virtual appointments, but these will never replace a face to face hands on patient evaluation. Just this past week we were finally able to get a patient in that complained of a skin lesion which virtually looked benign. Yes indeed that lesion still looked benign when the doctor got to look at it in person, but doing a full body inspection discovered a lesion behind the patient's ear that he did not know he had that is very suspicious for melanoma which is a very aggressive skin cancer. Now this patient has to wait to see a dermatologist which most are booked further out for face to face visits than we are.

And to make matters worse, many patients I speak with daily who have concerning symptoms unrelated to Covid but likely related to one or more of their serious chronic illnesses even if we are able to overbook their doctor in a face to face appointment they do not want to come into the clinic because they fear the Covid exposure they will have in the clinic. After nearly a week of coaxing one patient to come in to see the doctor he finally agreed to yesterday. When we got the lab results back on the tests the doctor ordered on him his Hct and Hbg were so low we had to send him to the ER for a blood transfusion. The ER doctor wanted to admit him as he most likely had a GI Bleed but the patient for fear of Covid remaining in the hospital he signed out AMA. Sadly, if he does have a serious GI bleed and does not get the necessary treatment he can very well die as a result.

These scenarios that I just described are happening everywhere, and sadly when all is said an done with Covid, from my personal experience in my little corner of healthcare I suspect more people will have died not from Covid but from limited access to diagnostics and delayed or no treatment for other serious non Covid related health issues.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Certainly you can't be serious. Are you? You wear it to bed at home? You wear it when driving alone in a car with the windows up? 24/7/365?????

All I can say is Res ipsa loquitur
yes, while sleeping is the most important--
Old 10-29-2020, 05:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Wow, I was not "mocking" COVID. I posted, in plain black and white English, that COVID is deadly serious. Lighten up before you pop an aneurysm, please.
it's a religion to some--can't figure it out, don't want to, too early
Old 10-29-2020, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by donassaid View Post
Fake news. Masks do NOT limit tge spread of tge virus and I am sick and tired of people trying to guilt everyone into wearing masks by calling us selfish. The CDC just released a report showing that, of all the people who have tested positive for Corona virus, 84% of them wore a mask "most of the time or all the time". Only 16% of those testing positive did not wear a mask or wore it only if mandated. So tell me now, which group would you rather be in?
The 84% of mask wearing people were infected by people who did not wear masks. Keep in mind, masks do very little to protect the wearer of the mask. Masks are worn to protect the people around the wearer of the mask.

To reiterate.....the mask wearers were not protecting themselves but they were protecting other people. If everyone wore a mask, we would all be protected and that 84% of people who tested positive would probably yield a much less positivity rate.

The people who did not wear masks are lucky they were around people who did wear masks. That is probably why only 16% of non mask wearers tested positive.
Old 10-29-2020, 07:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post

Not in a healthcare setting......I always keep my distance from others with the exception of my husband. I keep my distance, wear a mask indoors and keep my hands away from my face.
Old 10-29-2020, 10:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
In those times, very few Americans found ways to avoid going to the military. People are becoming less patriotic and more self centered every year.
But, after ww2 the draft boards was sleazy. Especially during VN. That’s why when to lottery system so the rich and connected couldn’t get immediate deferment.
Old 10-30-2020, 03:21 AM

It's amazing how effective mask mandate in Canada is. Also South Korea.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

The number of seasonal flu cases is way, way down this year. My doctor believes that it is because of so many people wearing masks, washing their hands, using hand sanitizer and social distancing. More people have also gotten the flu vaccine as well. So there may be a side benefit to all of these protocols.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 10-30-2020, 07:02 AM
Default Flu vaccine

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
To the point without humor.

I always get a vaccine every year and will when Covid vaccine is made available. I am not superstitious and WILL follow the Guidance of the Doctor and scientific professionals.

Be safe everyone.
. Let’s hope the government gets it right this year and administers the right flu vaccine for the strain of the flu that is going around. They have made mistakes in previous years. PS the doctors and scientific professionals keep changing their guidance.
Old 10-30-2020, 01:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
The number of seasonal flu cases is way, way down this year. My doctor believes that it is because of so many people wearing masks, washing their hands, using hand sanitizer and social distancing. More people have also gotten the flu vaccine as well. So there may be a side benefit to all of these protocols.
Flu season has not even begun yet
Closed Thread

Tags
war, people, sacrifices, asked, enemy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.