Washer/Dryer Pedestals. Water Shutoff?

Closed Thread
Old 10-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts
Default Washer/Dryer Pedestals. Water Shutoff?

For those of you that have your washer and dryer on pedestals, how do you access the water shutoff valves for the washer in case of emergency?

I imagine if needed it might be quicker to just run to the garage for the main?

We've never had pedestals. The wife thinks she might like them to reduce bending. Just one of those little things I worry about.. lol

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-08-2020, 06:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,152 Times in 1,326 Posts

I'd reach around back and shut them off...there's plenty of space
Old 10-08-2020, 10:02 PM
Veteran member

I don't know anything about turning off the water but I have an LG front-loading set on pedestals and love them. It is much easier on the back and I love having those drawers for storage. I think the price of the pedestals is ridiculous for what they are but I'm glad I spent the money.

Good luck with your appliance shopping.

kathy
Old 10-09-2020, 04:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts

I had the pedestals removed when we moved into our current home. I prefer easy access to the water shut of valve. My arms are not long enough to easily shut off the valve by reaching behind an elevated washing machine.

To hide the outlets and the water shut off valves, I purchased 5 colorful 11" fabric cube storage bins from Target. I placed them on top of the washer and dryer, lined up along the backs of the appliances and they fit perfectly from left to right. They look great and are very functional to put "stuff" in them. My laundry pods and washer cleaner packets are in one, the iron is in another just for examples as for the function of these bins. When needed to turn off the water in an emergency, I can easily move the bin that sits in front of the water shut off valve. This is the storage bin. At the time I purchased them, they were available in many more colors and prints.......

https://www.target.com/p/fabric-cube...82#lnk=sametab

One other reason I prefer not to have pedestals is the washer and dryer surface can be used as a folding table. To eliminate the need for bending when loading and unloading the appliances, I purchased an adorable colorful little bench which I use to place my laundry basket on when I'm loading the washer. Then I use that little bench to sit on when loading and unloading the dryer. I love this set up.

Last edited by coffeebean; 10-09-2020 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

In my short lifetime, I have never had an emergency water shut off issue with a washer.

That said..............your wife will love having the w & d a foot higher. We have pedestals and really enjoy them. Sliding the w&d out takes the same effort with or without pedestals.....plastic feet on the tile or wood floor is not too difficult. Back to your original option.......main shut-off might be just as quick.

I would recommend.
Old 10-09-2020, 05:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
In my short lifetime, I have never had an emergency water shut off issue with a washer.

That said..............your wife will love having the w & d a foot higher. We have pedestals and really enjoy them. Sliding the w&d out takes the same effort with or without pedestals.....plastic feet on the tile or wood floor is not too difficult. Back to your original option.......main shut-off might be just as quick.

I would recommend.
I can not budge my washing machine with all my might. The dryer is much easier to move. If I did not have quick access to the water shut off valves, I would just turn off the main water in the garage but then there is no water service for the entire house.

As an aside.......My neighbor in New Jersey had the water line burst on her washer while she was at work. The water was spewing down the street when a neighbor called her at work to let her know. She had a flood in her house. When I heard about her flood, I made sure we put anti-burst water lines to our washing machine. Those are the same hoses that are used for toilets.
Old 10-09-2020, 06:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
As an aside.......My neighbor in New Jersey had the water line burst on her washer while she was at work. The water was spewing down the street when a neighbor called her at work to let her know. She had a flood in her house. When I heard about her flood, I made sure we put anti-burst water lines to our washing machine. Those are the same hoses that are used for toilets.
Washing machines are the most common appliance to have a catastrophic water failure, dishwashers and ice makers follow.

The common failure for all is the selenoid which turns the water on. I replaced one which failed five years ago. It was 8.40 retail and made in China.

The only real defense against these failures is a water monitor.
Old 10-09-2020, 07:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Don't worry about it. Turn off the water to your house for a few minutes while you pull out the washer to turn off the water. When you leave the home for a few days also turn off the water to the home (only) incase you have a leak.
Old 10-09-2020, 08:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
Don't worry about it. Turn off the water to your house for a few minutes while you pull out the washer to turn off the water. When you leave the home for a few days also turn off the water to the home (only) incase you have a leak.
We always turn of the main water when leaving even for just over night.
Old 10-09-2020, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,421 Times in 2,268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post

I would recommend.
I've never needed to shut off the water either but..... lol

We have had the discharge hose pop out once because the installers didn't secure it.

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 10-09-2020, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
I can not budge my washing machine with all my might. The dryer is much easier to move. If I did not have quick access to the water shut off valves, I would just turn off the main water in the garage but then there is no water service for the entire house.

I’ve always brought the steel braided hoses for washer not the cheap rubber vinyl ones.
Old 10-09-2020, 04:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
I’ve always brought the steel braided hoses for washer not the cheap rubber vinyl ones.
Those are the lines I was referring to.
Old 10-10-2020, 08:04 AM

I would love to have the pedestals but how did you manage to get them under the units once you purchased them? I can’t imagine my husband and I being able to lift the washing machine up high enough and then sliding the drawer underneath at the same time! Please let me know how to do this, thanks!
Old 10-10-2020, 08:07 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schertzjanet View Post
I would love to have the pedestals but how did you manage to get them under the units once you purchased them? I can’t imagine my husband and I being able to lift the washing machine up high enough and then sliding the drawer underneath at the same time! Please let me know how to do this, thanks!

How??.......$50.

Delivery Teams (from Lowe's, Home Depot, etc) are independent contractors. Tip them $50 and they will mount the W&D.

(may want to confirm at the store)
Old 10-10-2020, 08:25 AM
Send a message via ICQ to GregG7 Send a message via AIM to GregG7

You can purchase FloodSafe washing machine hoses which have an internal valve which will automatically shut-off the flow of water due to bursts, breakage, or rupture and are supposed to prevent catastrophic flood damage.
Here is one example: https://www.amazon.com/Armour-Washin.../dp/B013TMFQVS
Closed Thread

Tags
pedestals, washer, shutoff, water, garage

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.