Washing your hands

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2020, 01:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,167 Times in 1,928 Posts
Default Washing your hands

I can say this from watching other people in public restrooms........people do not know the proper way to keep their hands clean after washing them.

DO NOT touch the faucet with your hands after washing them. If there are no paper towels to create a DOUBLE barrier (using two paper towels), turn off the faucet with either your elbow, your forearm or the back of your hand. Thankfully, many public restrooms do have the automatic faucets so you do not have to touch the faucets at all. Do this procedure at home and everywhere you go.

If you do not turn off the faucets in this manner, the germs that are on the faucet when you turned it on are still there when you turn off the faucet thus contaminating your hands all over again.

Take care to keep yourself and your loved ones safe.
Old 03-18-2020, 01:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

But you did not state the length of time soap must remain on not just hands, but also above wrist to be effective
Old 03-18-2020, 02:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,366 Times in 2,395 Posts

I don't watch people in public restrooms...……………………………… ……….
Old 03-18-2020, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
He might be the guy that was at the urinal next to mine yesterday who said to me "Nice watch you got there Buddy!"
Old 03-18-2020, 07:33 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
But you did not state the length of time soap must remain on not just hands, but also above wrist to be effective
The procedure of washing hands has been covered by the news media over and over. As many times as I have seen the procedure of washing hands on TV, I've never seen it mentioned how to end the procedure properly which is turning off the faucet(s).

That is the reason I started this thread so the general public is aware not to contaminate their hands after the washing has been completed. This is something that was drilled into me over 50 years ago and it is second nature for me to turn off all faucets in the manner I described. I just wish the media would include this very important step when instructing the general public.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
I try to avoid them.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
I don't watch people in public restrooms...…
Me neither, but sometimes while in public restrooms...listening to them is unavoidable.
Old 03-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

So, who sanitized there door knobs daily, steering wheels on carts, cars and door latches, cabinet knobs, faucets, toilet handles, shower knobs. Who cleans all canned products, bagged products, you brought in from store. Who cleans telephone 📞, iPads, computer key boards, car keys, or that book/ magazine you’ve been read for couple weeks just saying you can’t do half ___ job thinking you’ve done everything?
Old 03-18-2020, 08:18 PM

Having worked in healthcare you are taught proper handwashing and you notice when someone doesn’t turn off the faucet properly.
Old 03-18-2020, 09:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
So, who sanitized there door knobs daily, steering wheels on carts, cars and door latches, cabinet knobs, faucets, toilet handles, shower knobs. Who cleans all canned products, bagged products, you brought in from store. Who cleans telephone , iPads, computer key boards, car keys, or that book/ magazine you’ve been read for couple weeks just saying you can’t do half ___ job thinking you’ve done everything?
How about the pulls on the window blinds, ALL the handles and pulls on furniture and light switches? There are waaaaay too many things we humans touch on a daily basis. That is why it is so important to wash your hands frequently. It is impossible to sanitize your world.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:15 PM
Michael Charles

Well, if you locate paper towels or a few pieces of toilet paper upon entering the restroom (I fold some up and place under my chin) turn off the faucet with it after washing my hands that is one way I ensure I don't contaminate my hands on the faucet. I then use the paper towel I dried my hands with to open the door. I would also use a few pieces of toilet paper to open the door with if there are only air-dryers in use.
Old 03-18-2020, 10:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
My laugh for the day!
Old 03-19-2020, 06:15 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,862 Times in 785 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
How about the pulls on the window blinds, ALL the handles and pulls on furniture and light switches? There are waaaaay too many things we humans touch on a daily basis. That is why it is so important to wash your hands frequently. It is impossible to sanitize your world.
I dropped out of high school at seventeen and became an Operating Room janitor, then an Operating Room scrub nurse, then a hospital surgical supervisor in Africa, where I instituted sterile techniques that lowered the surgical infection rate from 50% to 2%. So I know about sterile techniques. You are all right.

However, in practice, if you live alone and are social distancing, as I have been for two weeks, once you’ve wiped down all those surfaces in your home with alcohol or bleach solution, you run no risk in your home unless you bring in the virus from outside. How do you avoid that? You could put on disposable rubber gloves before you leave your home and remove them before you walk in your door. That’s very safe. You aren’t very likely to catch anything from cardboard boxes or paper bags. Cleaning shopping cart handles is a great idea if you aren’t wearing gloves, or even if you are. Food containers like cans and boxes are pretty safe. The worst things are handles, knobs, buttons you have to push, any public screens you have to touch, etc. For example, the touch screens in stores and gas stations. You can’t use a touch screen wearing a rubber glove! It doesn’t work. You can’t really remove a disposable glove and put it back on without contaminating yourself. I use one knuckle when possible, rather than a finger tip.

Washing your hands thoroughly after you remove your gloves when you get home is a good idea, as germs grow on your hands in a moist environment, even though they are probably not the Coronavirus. Wiping down your steering wheel and other things you touch in your vehicle isn’t a bad idea, including outside door handles.

One of the filthiest things in your life is probably your cell phone or iPad. Lots of people, both men and women, use them while sitting on the toilet! They then MAY wash their hands, but they have already spread colonies of organisms to their phones. Who washes their phones! (On purpose.) strong alcohol or bleach can damage them!

Fortunately, most of us have immune systems that can deal with this stuff. It’s the new virus that scares us. The good news is that the techniques above should keep you safe. It just takes a little care and a tiny bit of time. It also works in making you less likely to catch the flu.
Old 03-19-2020, 06:34 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Wife and I have ringed our house with 600 toilet rolls, and 50 gallons of bottled water, 30 stale loaves, and assorted rotted veg and meat, and so far, it seems to be keeping the virus out.
Off up the supermaket now for more supplies, then down the pub later with all the lads to pick up some more survival tips!
Stay safe.
Old 03-19-2020, 07:25 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:

I even feel funny watching my dog do his business.

Tags
hands, faucets, faucet, turn, touch

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.