Watch your cats!!!- Cat theft

Closed Thread
Old 04-08-2011, 01:58 PM
Sage

Can anyone speculate why anyone would want take the chance to steal a cat? Seems odd unless the breed was very rare!

You can get a cat for nothing almost anywhere - why steal one?
Old 04-09-2011, 02:56 AM
Sage
Unhappy I hope you are reunited with Oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb902 View Post
Sigh....I really, really hope this man did not take my beloved Oliver. There have been no new sightings in the last few days.
mjb902, I have read for several weeks now about Oliver. I feel bad for you. I hope you see him soon.

If this person is a cat napper, shame on him. If he needed a cat for a pet, he should have gone to a shelter to adopt one.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:51 AM
Veteran member

??

Last edited by JenAjd; 04-11-2011 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb902 View Post
Sigh....I really, really hope this man did not take my beloved Oliver. There have been no new sightings in the last few days.
I ache for you. I think that it is more likely that he has wandered into some lonely person's yard who may be feeding him.
Old 04-09-2011, 01:31 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
Have had cats throughout the years...though not now. Back in the day we had an "inside/outside" cat and that was fine because it seemed like people did that. Then later we had an "inside cat"...several reasons. Didn't want the aggravations (fleas, critters brought to show-off, birds killed etc) PLUS the community had installed a regulation about that. I believe most communities have that now...that cats shouldn't be allowed to roam. Many reasons for that! Even dogs need to be leashed so it's not just a "cat thing".

Here I'd not want to let mine out intentionally, due to all the natural preditors that could snatch it away. I'm sorry that your neighbor may have lost her cat in this unusual way. Have never heard of that happening.

A story I will tell here though is years ago...we had a neighbor, a block away, who had a cat. They would leash it outside BUT occassionally they'd let it loose or else it would get loose not sure which. It would come over to our house and our cat would go nuts. Our cat was an inside cat!!! The other cat would do it's business in the flowers and we had many birds in our yard (you get the picture). So one day I'd had enough....I didn't know the names of the people to call them so I was a nasty neighbor and "snatched" the critter and took it to the police station in our community and gave it to them to take care of. Yes I was a culpret this time but this had been over many weeks (possibly months) of aggravation PLUS our community did have an enforced ordinance with pets. Should I have taken the cat to the owner's---possibly---but would it have made a difference for the future? Don't know!! Thought if they had to deal with it this way---perhaps it wouldn't happen anymore. It didn't!!
If this happens to you again, please contact the neighbors and let them know that this bothers you. That poor kitty was probably given to animal control and was euthanized. The number of adult cats adopted from shelters is even less than dogs.

If you don't know who the neighbors are that are releasing their cat outdoors, then you can go door-to-door until you find the owners, or ask around, or post photos of that cat as he is in your yard with a request for the owners to contact you.

Imagine how you would feel if your indoor kitty went outdoors by accident, and you couldn't find him for a few days, and someone did what you did?
Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Soaring Eagle member

JenAjd, please tell me that you told the police the cat's address. Your story is disturbing; to think that you chose to go that route as opposed to letting the family know your concerns was an unfortunate one for the cat.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:22 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
JenAjd, please tell me that you told the police the cat's address. Your story is disturbing; to think that you chose to go that route as opposed to letting the family know your concerns was an unfortunate one for the cat.
I believe I did! I wouldn't be THAT calleous! But the damage the cat was doing to my property wasn't something that should be taken lightly neither!!
Believe me...I observed this for sometime before I did anything. I had heard other neighbors too had complained w/o resolvement! The cat was seen on it's leash after that so the police did their job and everything worked out for everyone.
Old 04-09-2011, 06:47 PM

K-9 Lovers, I agree with you 100% on this one! I think the owners of the cat needed to know that putting a cat on a leash outside doesn't work. I know because I tried that too. I'm sure they would have not put the cat on a leash again.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
I believe I did! I wouldn't be THAT calleous! But the damage the cat was doing to my property wasn't something that should be taken lightly neither!!
Believe me...I observed this for sometime before I did anything. I had heard other neighbors too had complained w/o resolvement! The cat was seen on it's leash after that so the police did their job and everything worked out for everyone.
Since you believe you gave the address to the police, then that makes the story a little better. And you say the cat was seen on a leash AFTER you took it to the police?

I'm hoping that you did give the police their address and this cat wasn't given the death penalty for simply being in the wrong yard.

Thanks for clearing things up, although this version doesn't match your original story.

Last edited by K9-Lovers; 04-09-2011 at 10:29 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:43 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Have had cats throughout the years...though not now. Back in the day we had an "inside/outside" cat and that was fine because it seemed like people did that. Then later we had an "inside cat"...several reasons. Didn't want the aggravations (fleas, critters brought to show-off, birds killed etc) PLUS the community had installed a regulation about that. I believe most communities have that now...that cats shouldn't be allowed to roam. Many reasons for that! Even dogs need to be leashed so it's not just a "cat thing".

Here I'd not want to let mine out intentionally, due to all the natural preditors that could snatch it away. I'm sorry that your neighbor may have lost her cat in this unusual way. Have never heard of that happening.

A story I will tell here though is years ago...we had a neighbor, a block away, who had a cat. They would leash it outside BUT occassionally they'd let it loose or else it would get loose not sure which. It would come over to our house and our cat would go nuts. Our cat was an inside cat!!! The other cat would do it's business in the flowers and we had many birds in our yard (you get the picture). So one day I'd had enough....I didn't know the names of the people to call them so I was a nasty neighbor and "snatched" the critter and took it to the police station in our community and gave it to them to take care of. Yes I was a culpret this time but this had been over many weeks (possibly months) of aggravation PLUS our community did have an enforced ordinance with pets. Should I have taken the cat to the owner's---possibly---but would it have made a difference for the future? Don't know!! Thought if they had to deal with it this way---perhaps it wouldn't happen anymore. It didn't!!
OMG !!
Old 04-11-2011, 09:45 AM
Talking I Love Cats...

with a little parsley and lemon

Da Gator
Old 04-11-2011, 10:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
with a little parsley and lemon

Da Gator
Oh. I thought this post was removed.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:11 PM
Eternal Member
Location: Formerly Refrigerated in Upstate NY, Now in village near Colony Plaza

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Oh. I thought this post was removed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
I love cats... with a little parsley and lemon

Da Gator
Just pretend he's talking about Catfish! The Villages Florida
"SMILE... TOMORROW MAY BE EVEN WORSE!"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.