Watching Granddaughter

Closed Thread
Old 10-12-2008, 10:55 PM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

Well, I know this is a touchy subject but from my perspective if I wanted to live in a multi generational environment then I'd stay where I am. Don't get me wrong, I love our neighborhood. It is made up of a some middle aged singles, young families and octogenarians. All lovely folks. All will be welcome in our home in TV. But when I purchase my last home I prefer it to be in community of 55+ folks.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:41 AM

Let’s see, if my neighbor has 5 grandchildren of various ages. Parents of 3 are in their late twenties and the parents of the other 2 are in their mid thirties and they moved to the area so they could enjoy all the benefits The Villages had to offer and of course to be near Mom and Dad.

Grandma and Grandpa watch two of the children everyday from 8am till 5pm while their parents are at work. The other three grandchildren are in school, they are at Grandma and Grandpa’s from 3pm till 6pm while their parents work.

What a deal! They get to enjoy all the amenities and lifestyle, for the single amenity fee paid by Grandma and Grandpa.

What happened to my Retirement Community?

Holy cow Sydney...do you know how ridiculous you sound? Stop adding to the facts I've shared. It is absurd you think that the forum members would follow that ridiculous math. Look, this forum is for communicating and generating ideas - not for illogical statistics. Come on Sydney, your second (2nd!!) post on this forum cant be like that. Get to know your neighbors. These are people that have "been there and done that'. Otherwise, point taken...I know this is a retirement community...that's why i have my family nearby...

Last edited by Maddie; 10-13-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:03 AM

I do not see the violation here.

Let me get this straight...someone has reported your mother because she is taking care of your infant daughter in her house for 3 hours a day during the work week. How is that a violation...she isn't living there, she doesn't use the amenities?????

Thanks Beadie. I appreciate this. My daughter is almost 6 months old. We are doing the best we can. We schedule our life around work and family. We are financially sound-minded and like others, are caught up in desparate financial times. I invite anyone to meet with us and produce the judgement that we abusing The Villages community. My strength is my family, and I believe in it.

Fumar and SteveZ...come on...why must you build this up more than what it is. Please read my post carefully. I am talking 3 days a week, for awhile until I can put my 6 month old daughter in daycare. Just a little longer. Please understand the infrastructure that holds The Villages together, is slowly building. Almost there...Sorry salespeople are not bad at all, please accept my apologies. i misspoke.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkpup View Post
Well, I know this is a touchy subject but from my perspective if I wanted to live in a multi generational environment then I'd stay where I am. Don't get me wrong, I love our neighborhood. It is made up of a some middle aged singles, young families and octogenarians. All lovely folks. All will be welcome in our home in TV. But when I purchase my last home I prefer it to be in community of 55+ folks.
I think that is the reason most folks chose TV Punky. I agree.

It certainly isn't that children annoy me, just the opposite, I adore them and feel protective of them, and sometimes ONLY if their parents aren't watching them carefully then that is stressful. I just love the relaxed feeling of being among my age peers.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 AM
Veteran member
Send a message via Yahoo to MelZ

Maddie:

I am curious why you never responded when asked why your Mom couldn't watch your child at your home. BTW I am still up North and we are watching my grandson today.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
[I]I do not see the violation here.
Fumar and SteveZ...come on...why must you build this up more than what it is. Please read my post carefully. I am talking 3 days a week, for awhile until I can put my 6 month old daughter in daycare. Just a little longer. Please understand the infrastructure that holds The Villages together, is slowly building. Almost there...Sorry salespeople are not bad at all, please accept my apologies. i misspoke.
Again, this may seem insensitive and inconsiderate to you, but the financial problems of my children should not be that of my neighbors.

These same covenants that limit stays of visitors control many facets of life within TV. There are many I'm not too pleased with, and they do impact what I bought, where I bought it, and if I would buy at all. I'm stuck with them just as much as your mother, and don't expect that they should be ignored because I'm unique. It's my job to adapt, not the community's to adapt to my idiosyncracies or personal issues.

Concessions work both ways. Another poster suggested the transporting of your mother to your house instead of uprooting the child. Perhaps the additional round-trip is inconvenient, but it does appear to alleviate the covenant problem.

Now if it seems we're just a bunch of stuffy old fossils who don't care, That too is shortsighted. We old fossils have worked our entire lives, put up with as many if not more "inconveniences" as the young families of today and managed to get our kids to the point where they were supposed to be independent of us (finally!) so we could get a break from being constantly responsible for them until the day we drop dead. After almost 5 decades of pulling the plow so that my kids had a leg up, I expect them to take care of their basic life issues, catastrophic situation being the exception.

We have a community with certain restrictions for residency so that we all can enjoy what we've got left. We all knew the restrictions when we bought and accepted them as such. Should conditions change where we cannot fulfill our end of the bargain, then it's time we leave TV for other digs. That's the deal, regardless of what anyones kids (mine included) need on the short-or-long term.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

So
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ View Post
Again, this may seem insensitive and inconsiderate to you, but the financial problems of my children should not be that of my neighbors.

These same covenants that limit stays of visitors control many facets of life within TV. There are many I'm not too pleased with, and they do impact what I bought, where I bought it, and if I would buy at all. I'm stuck with them just as much as your mother, and don't expect that they should be ignored because I'm unique. It's my job to adapt, not the community's to adapt to my idiosyncracies or personal issues.

Concessions work both ways. Another poster suggested the transporting of your mother to your house instead of uprooting the child. Perhaps the additional round-trip is inconvenient, but it does appear to alleviate the covenant problem.

Now if it seems we're just a bunch of stuffy old fossils who don't care, That too is shortsighted. We old fossils have worked our entire lives, put up with as many if not more "inconveniences" as the young families of today and managed to get our kids to the point where they were supposed to be independent of us (finally!) so we could get a break from being constantly responsible for them until the day we drop dead. After almost 5 decades of pulling the plow so that my kids had a leg up, I expect them to take care of their basic life issues, catastrophic situation being the exception.

We have a community with certain restrictions for residency so that we all can enjoy what we've got left. We all knew the restrictions when we bought and accepted them as such. Should conditions change where we cannot fulfill our end of the bargain, then it's time we leave TV for other digs. That's the deal, regardless of what anyones kids (mine included) need on the short-or-long term.
Sounds right to me.

Sweetie and I would love it if you would live next door to us. You sound like such a good person.
Old 10-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Veteran member
Default only sensible response

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady View Post
Fumar and SteveZ

I agree I do not want a daycare next door or children running around the neighborhood all the time.However, I do enjoy hearing little voices when the neighbors and my grandkids visit from time to time.

But one infant inside someones home...please who is that disturbing...what amenities is it using.No doubt less annoying than the people who walk their dog on others lawns. When the child is out of infancy and more independent then the parents will have to make other arrangements.
I am with you on this, I can not believe this thread. I wish i knew just what the real story is with this person's neighbors. Probably someone who can't see their grandkids and doesn't want anyone else to either!
Wanabee future TVer
Old 10-13-2008, 02:15 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie View Post
[I]Holy cow Sydney...do you know how ridiculous you sound? Stop adding to the facts I've shared. It is absurd you think that the forum members would follow that ridiculous math. Look, this forum is for communicating and generating ideas - not for illogical statistics. Come on Sydney, your second (2nd!!) post on this forum cant be like that. Get to know your neighbors. These are people that have "been there and done that'. Otherwise, point taken...I know this is a retirement community...that's why i have my family nearby...

Well Maddie, I have owned a home in The Villages since 2007, and do feel this could affect me in the future. As stated by you, the forum is for “communicating and generating ideas” which is exactly what I was doing and the number of posts I have is irrelevant. Additionally, I am one of “these” people and have “been there and done that”. You were also asked why you never responded when asked why your Mom couldn't watch your child at your home.
Old 10-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Exclamation

As I sit here, my 4 1/2 year old granddaughter is down stairs coloring and watching cartoons. There are five young teens playing catch out in the street. I don't mind them being there at all and there are no rules in our 200 unit condo community to stop them. BUT! when I move to the Villages it is because the covenants are in place so that I DON'T have to have the kids around me all the time! That's the whole reason for over 55 communities! If I felt that the rules would not be enforced there wouldn't be a reason to move to TV, I could just stay here.

"When you're right you can afford to keep your temper and when you're wrong you can't afford to loose it"
Old 10-14-2008, 09:58 AM
Default Messing with the amenities

Yeah... I agree, you surely can't have that 5 month old messing with our "amenities". She might want to play golf or take a course in line dancing.
When she gets to be a few months older she may run for a villages office. Sounds like a few her age are running it now! Get over it you snoops and MYOB.
Kind of reminds me of an old tune "The Shady Lady of Shady Lane"!!
Oh and by the way, these "rights" everyone keeps yammering about? Your "rights" stop at my front door. They then become my "rights".

Jerry Jackson (Summerhill)

Neat bumper sticker. Went like this: "It's God's job to judge terrorists. Our job is to arrange the meeting!"

Be a gentleman, remove your hat/cap when entering a building and dining out!

Last edited by SABRMnLgs; 10-14-2008 at 11:10 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:26 AM

Amen!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Gold member

From my first comment that was exactly my point....a 6 month old temporarily staying with her grandmother...not a problem.
Old 10-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRMnLgs View Post
Yeah... I agree, you surely can't have that 5 month old messing with our "amenities". She might want to play golf or take a course in line dancing.
When she gets to be a few months older she may run for a villages office. Sounds like a few her age are running it now! Get over it you snoops and MYOB.
Oh and by the way, these "rights" everyone keeps yammering about? Your "rights" stop at my front door. They then become my "rights".

I love this post!!! You have a great sense of humor....I know everyone has different opinions on the topic and that is great...atleast you are keeping it humorous...IMHO

Suzy Toronto

Last edited by Cassie325; 10-14-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by SABRMnLgs View Post

I love how that how when people are breaking the "rules that that they signed up for when buying in the Villages" they start talking like school kids, being sarcastic in their remarks. Love the "Oh buy the way" and Yammering"

I made no mention of "amenities", only the rules that you seem to disdain when they are not to your liking. You agreed to them, now abide to them.

In child speak, You don't play by the rules.

I don't care what you do behind your doors. The fact is that you agreed, when you bought at TV, to give up some of what you feel are your rights in order to live in the TV Community. Live up to you responsibilities or consider whether you belong in a community that restricts children visiting.

"When you're right you can afford to keep your temper and when you're wrong you can't afford to loose it"
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.