Closed Thread
Old 06-11-2014, 10:45 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Here is my email to Mr. Rohan:

Dear Mr. Rohan,

A number of neighborhood pools are being used for exercise classes, tying up the pools for an hour or more at a time and making it impossible for the pools to be used for their intended purposes--floating around, relaxing, a little swimming. Many people have become combative when asked to make room for those wanting to use the pools for their intended purpose. Going to these pools' rec center staff and complaining has done no good. They either state there's nothing they can do about it, or they won't do anything about it.

There is a groundswell of dissatisfaction over this practice, and people are being urged to get together and try to get the rec department to enforce the rules at the neighborhood pools, and to have the exercise classes moved to the sports pools where they belong.

If you are a member of Talk of The Villages forum, I urge you to read this thread: Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools? It will give you information about which pools are being affected at this time. However, even if you don't read this thread, my request is that you direct your recreational staff at each rec center to ensure that these exercise classes are moved to the sports pools, and enforce the original intent of the neighborhood pools, which is for relaxing and socializing.
Here is the email response I got from Mr. Rohan:

"We are looking how to get the residents to mutually respect pool use and intent. We agree the exercise classes should not impede or impact the enjoyment of others to use the neighborhood pools. That's why we designed sports pools."

I urge all of you to email him at the address given in my post above.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:

"We are looking how to get the residents to mutually respect pool use and intent. We agree the exercise classes should not impede or impact the enjoyment of others to use the neighborhood pools. That's why we designed sports pools."

The Fly in the Ointment contained in his response is "mutually respect". It is a crying shame that this must be dictated.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:21 AM
Gold member

Quote:

They could start with a sign............

The Villages Florida

Too simple? We could form a vigilante group that crashes the activities to play Marco Polo.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:25 AM
Sage

The neighborhood adult pools should have monitors enforcing the rules, checking ID cards, and clearing out groups who take over the pool and patio as their own turf like playground bullies.

As many of us told our kids as they grew up:

"You want to be treated like an 'adult'?? Then act like one. But until you do, you are going to be watched by us or a babysitter."
Old 06-11-2014, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Here is Mr. Rohan's email address. Let's do something about this situation! John.Rohan@districtgov.org

Come on TOTV'rs who agree with CFrance and a lot of us...Send him a short and sweet email, and name pools. AND the time of the class that is taking up the space.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:34 AM

I am reading lots of negative comments that a "group" of exercisers prevent others from entering the pool, do not share, are taking up the whole pool and generally are a territorial group of individuals.
I am one of the people being complained about and we always leave a lane, greet people as they arrive and say come on in, plenty of room. There are "groups" all day at the pool, so should ALL of theses be prohibited?

Last edited by wvafran; 06-11-2014 at 12:33 PM. Reason: addional comments
Old 06-11-2014, 11:43 AM
Platinum member

His reply sounds ambiguous to me. Having "mutual respect" sounds like he is OK with all uses of a neighborhood pool, including water walking.

I think before people get too excited, he needs to clarify if he intends to allow it or not. Sounds like he does.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:52 AM
Default Have all of them arrested !

That should take care of the problem. It would also mean that friends gathering at the pools would not be possible. Many neighood groups gather at pools for fun and enjoyment. GONE, would be subject to to LAW inforcement. Most residents are not early risers and don't use the pools until the sun is high.

Quote:
Here is my email to Mr. Rohan:

Dear Mr. Rohan,

A number of neighborhood pools are being used for exercise classes, tying up the pools for an hour or more at a time and making it impossible for the pools to be used for their intended purposes--floating around, relaxing, a little swimming. Many people have become combative when asked to make room for those wanting to use the pools for their intended purpose. Going to these pools' rec center staff and complaining has done no good. They either state there's nothing they can do about it, or they won't do anything about it.

There is a groundswell of dissatisfaction over this practice, and people are being urged to get together and try to get the rec department to enforce the rules at the neighborhood pools, and to have the exercise classes moved to the sports pools where they belong.

If you are a member of Talk of The Villages forum, I urge you to read this thread: Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools? It will give you information about which pools are being affected at this time. However, even if you don't read this thread, my request is that you direct your recreational staff at each rec center to ensure that these exercise classes are moved to the sports pools, and enforce the original intent of the neighborhood pools, which is for relaxing and socializing.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaringg View Post
That should take care of the problem. It would also mean that friends gathering at the pools would not be possible. Many neighood groups gather at pools for fun and enjoyment. GONE, would be subject to to LAW inforcement. Most residents are not early risers and don't use the pools until the sun is high.
Nobody said friends shouldn't be allowed to gather at the pools for fun and enjoyment. We're saying that groups should not be allowed to take over the pool as their own pool.

With the size of these neighborhood pools, it only takes 3 or 4 water-walkers teamed up to "occupy" the entire pool. The loud group gossip is part of the "occupying" some do and it's very annoying.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetv View Post
The neighborhood adult pools should have monitors enforcing the rules, checking ID cards, and clearing out groups who take over the pool and patio as their own turf like playground bullies.

As many of us told our kids as they grew up:

"You want to be treated like an 'adult'?? Then act like one. But until you do, you are going to be watched by us or a babysitter."
My friend's husband works at one of the rec centers. They only have one monitor for three pools. Things like these exercise groups slip through. Then they become established events, and the rec center staff doesn't want to suffer the ire of 30-60 people, so they waffle and do nothing, even when faced with a complaint.

It really has to come from the top down, IMO.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:11 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wvafran View Post
I am reading lots of negative comments that a "group" of exercisers prevent others from entering the pool, do not share, are taking up the whole pool and generally are a territorial group of individuals.
I am one of the people being complained about and we always leave a lane, greet people as they arrive and say come on in, plenty of room. There are "groups" all day at the pool, so should ALL of theses be prohibited?
We were in TV a couple of weeks ago and I walked by the Charlotte Pool on my morning walks. I noticed several carts at the pool and was curious what was going on. As i peaked over the fence, several exercises invited me into the pool. There was plenty of room for others in the pool. It looked like they were enjoying themselves and I would have liked to join in. Unfortunately, things are crazy when we are only there for two weeks.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:12 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:

YES.
I don't have a dog in this fight, as I have not encountered it but I have encountered people having classes and charging for them in our facilities where it is NOT allowed. If you want to exercise as a group, do it in the sports pools. That is what they are for.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
There are "groups" all day at the pool, so should ALL of theses be prohibited?
As previously stated by a lot of different people, exercise groups belong at the Sports Pools. Otherwise a relaxed swimmer feels intimidated. No-one wants an elbow in their eye.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:07 PM
Default Charlotte pool

I have read of mutual respect being needed by all residents, but some postings have spoken of information gathering in opposition to the pool use by a group of neighbors. Did the man who came this a.m. and pretend to use the men's room, then turn and take pictures of people in the pool, qualify as respect? I vue it as rude and invasive . What is the purpose of the pictures? Will they be used without our permission?

Last edited by wvafran; 06-11-2014 at 07:09 PM. Reason: to correct spelling
Old 06-11-2014, 07:24 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
I have read of mutual respect being needed by all residents, but some postings have spoken of information gathering in opposition to the pool use by a group of neighbors. Did the man who came this a.m. and pretend to use the men's room, then turn and take pictures of people in the pool, qualify as respect? I vue it as rude and invasive . What is the purpose of the pictures? Will they be used without our permission?
That was Mr. Midnight's shy son, Tom. He was just peeping. Just ignore him.
peeping-jpg

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.