Water Aerobics in Neighborhood Pools?

Closed Thread
Old 06-09-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baustgen View Post
Gimme a break! A group of villagers want to get together and do water exercises on their own is one of the benefits of living in TV. New friends, healthy exercise under attack. Ridiculous. If you are so fussy you can't stand observing it, move to another pool. There is one 5 minutes away.
Amen Brother! If neighbors want to participate together that's a good thing. Don't look for a problem that does not exist!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Sage
Default Go to the sports pools

I agree with the OP. There is a time and place for everything and The Villages has provided pools for exercise and they need to be used. The regular pools are to be enjoyed otherwise. Perhaps this should be discussed with the director, although I'm sure nothing will become of it. They don't want anyone to be unhappy here in the bubble.
Old 06-09-2014, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
I agree with the OP. There is a time and place for everything and The Villages has provided pools for exercise and they need to be used. The regular pools are to be enjoyed otherwise. Perhaps this should be discussed with the director, although I'm sure nothing will become of it. They don't want anyone to be unhappy here in the bubble.

Having your own pool may be the answer. Lazy us don't like the upkeep. BUT...Sweetie could be my pool boy!
Old 06-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Default Follow up/ pool usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruthtomnorma3 View Post
ok villagers....the answer is in friday's daily sun
section d lifestyles.....page 5 ..last three paragraphs ...... Well written...
We as adults are given the opportunity to realize the wrong...
What happens after a time of this unauthorized activity......???

Read the whole article which has interesting information ......
uptown girl and gracie girl provided the next level of information
thanks for your splash on the subject
now you know the rest of the story......
Old 06-09-2014, 10:38 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

I have a real problem with people who have classes at any of our facilities, art classes, craft classes, and appear to be volunteers but intimidate people to pay them by asking for a donation. It truly isn't the money, it is the principal of the thing.
You didn't fall off the back of a turnip truck. I like that about you.

I won't tell the story of a female who told me she ran a class in a neighborhood pool, had her friends come (from where she USED to live- in another retirement community) and charged them on the side for the classes…. until some curmudgeon turned her in.
I could tell it, but I won't.

Last edited by Uptown Girl; 06-09-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:04 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Having your own pool may be the answer. Lazy us don't like the upkeep. BUT...Sweetie could be my pool boy!
Nothing personal Gracie, but.....you're saying that multiple people should spend $25,000 - $50,000 apiece because selected individuals choose to disregard the restrictions they agreed to on purchase?

Please see : Is Common Sense Dead? - Talk of The Villages

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 06-09-2014, 11:36 AM
Veteran member

Oy, I didn't mean to cause an uproar over my post, but I did ask a reasonable question, to which it looks like no one has a definitive answer. It's like the complaint of dog walkers and bikers on the golf courses after dusk, or, as Gracie pointed out, saving seats in the squares. I guess "anything goes". In answer to the poster who suggested I go to another pool if the class in the neighborhood pool bothers me...I can WALK to that pool, and cannot walk to any other neighborhood pool. If there were children in the neighborhood pools, everyone would have a fit, because there is a pool specifically for the use of families with children, just like there are pools specifically for sports and aerobics. I agree with Happinow, and will call the recreation director for an answer to this.

Last edited by applesoffh; 06-09-2014 at 11:39 AM. Reason: addition
Old 06-09-2014, 12:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happinow View Post
If the activity dominates the pool and does not accommodate sharing, common sense should dictate that is unfair and not an equitable use of a "neighborhood" facility.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:21 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
Nothing personal Gracie, but.....you're saying that multiple people should spend $25,000 - $50,000 apiece because selected individuals choose to disregard the restrictions they agreed to on purchase?

I think that Gracie's point is that due to the dominant lack of common sense and courtesy, getting your own pool MAY be the only answer to avoid this inequity. Beyond that, you are screwed today as long as no one will take personal responsibility to counter unfair activities at the "shared" facilities.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:24 PM

Key words here ...... common sense
Old 06-09-2014, 12:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post

No. I wasn't saying that. Just making conversation. Indy got the gist of my meaning.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indydealmaker View Post
I think that Gracie's point is that due to the dominant lack of common sense and courtesy, getting your own pool MAY be the only answer to avoid this inequity. Beyond that, you are screwed today as long as no one will take personal responsibility to counter unfair activities at the "shared" facilities.
Good point. In the article quoted, the recreational manager seems to be implying that they won't do anything about it. If they can't be bothered with policing these things, why have this kind of pool division--rec, family, neighborhood--to begin with? At the very least the rec manager could put pressure on each rec center to keep these things from happening at the pools they oversee.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:25 PM
Sage

Why not just go and use the pool the way you choose to. Because it is not a sport pool, but rather a neighborhood pool, you cannot be prevented from using it. It's there for everyone to use, whenever they choose. Jump in and enjoy and ignore the ignorant.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
Why not just go and use the pool the way you choose to. Because it is not a sport pool, but rather a neighborhood pool, you cannot be prevented from using it. It's there for everyone to use, whenever they choose. Jump in and enjoy and ignore the ignorant.
I was wondering that too - what's the worst that could happen if you just use it the way you want to and ignore the exercisers? Won't they need to walk around you?

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 06-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Veteran member

Whats one to do...last week someone complained that people were talking in the pool to others and it was noisy and that the pool was for a peaceful time. No talking! WOW!
I like the idea that sports pools are for people who want to be active. If I want to be on a noodle relaxing then walkers in an adult pool can go around me or go the the appropriate pool. Agree with quirky3!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.