Water Bill and Sewer Bill

Closed Thread
Old 06-28-2017, 01:36 PM

I closed on my house 3 p.m May 22. They gave me a bill from service May 22 to June 5, 2017 for 11,190 gallons! I did not live there at all , no renters, only irrigation 2xweek. This is only 15 days. My neighbor checked the house for me, no water leaking. Holly,... I called the water company they said this is low consumption and normal. They lied. I asked my neighbor, she sent me her consumption graph and told me that was 30 days for 12,010 gallons. She lives there everyday!

The water company always deny the facts? Any help? Not much money, but don't want to be robbed again.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:44 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie2009 View Post
I closed on my house 3 p.m May 22. They gave me a bill from service May 22 to June 5, 2017 for 11,190 gallons! I did not live there at all , no renters, only irrigation 2xweek. This is only 15 days. My neighbor checked the house for me, no water leaking. Holly,... I called the water company they said this is low consumption and normal. They lied. I asked my neighbor, she sent me her consumption graph and told me that was 30 days for 12,010 gallons. She lives there everyday!

The water company always deny the facts? Any help? Not much money, but don't want to be robbed again.
Sounds as though your irrigation was on for more than 2 days a week or for much longer times per zone. Maybe there is an underground leak that your neighbor could not see.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandtrap328 View Post
Sounds as though your irrigation was on for more than 2 days a week or for much longer times per zone. Maybe there is an underground leak that your neighbor could not see.
Have the irrigation set for 2xweeks. Have rain sensor too. But, turn off irrigation off since June 6.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:54 PM

And in VA, if you have toilet runs or pipe leaks, the water company adjusts the bill for you. Not here?
Old 06-28-2017, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

This had to be a bill based on estimates. Not possible for the water company to read your meter, prepare a bill and get it to you, all on the same day.

We had some of the same (estimated) water bill issues right after we moved into our new home.

Is this a new home or resale?

If resale, what has the history been?

How are you sure the irrigation system is only running 2 times a week?

What size lot?

Water leaks are not uncommon in new homes. Both irrigation and inside.

We had a potable water leak 3 years after moving in. At a joint in the meter box. Not evident from the outside. Water bill went to 4x in one billing period.

Why would the water company lie to you?

There are many factors that impact your “water” bill.

If you are now living in your home you can periodically check both meters to see what your actual usage is.

You concerns are understandable and should be easy to get answered. Don’t be too discouraged, it will get worked out.

Enjoy the TV lifestyle.

Don

Western PA, Marietta GA, finally TV....
Old 06-28-2017, 04:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:

You said you recently closed. We bought a preowned in February and our first bill was huge! When I called to ask for an explanation, they said they estimate line items and usually refund you once the "real" bills come in. Sure enough, about 5 or 6 weeks later, we received a check in the mail for about $300. That was nice. I think it also depends on the day of the month you close. Hope this helps. And I hope you get a check. Congratulations on your new home!
Old 06-28-2017, 05:18 PM
Sage

Quote:

I respectfully disagree. The water company helped me immensely. My lawn was getting dry two months ago so I asked someone who supposedly knew what they were doing to help me adjust the irrigation system. This was a paid "expert."

Three weeks later I received a call from the H2O dept to tell me I had used 65,000 gallons of water. I made an adjustment and asked them to check the next week. They called one week later - use was now about 45,000 gallons. Turns out the "expert" had set the system for 4 days/week. On Three programs! My bill over 6 weeks was almost $1000.

They have since called again to check - nice service, and very pleasant staff.

I now have become my own expert.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 06-28-2017, 08:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
I could give an answer about snakes, but your best reply will be from a TOTV member with the screen name "NUCKY". He was also afraid of snakes before moving here. Send him a PM and he'll put your fears to rest.
I was put into a state of pure panic by family members who knew I HATE SNAKES. GE, dbussone, Tal, Mrs Gracie and Mrs Barefoot calmed me down. So far it has really been a non issue but still fun to kid about. We have seen several black racers but they live next door because we stripped the property of the overgrown ugly bushes. It looks good now. Neat and clean and modest. Most plants in beautiful pots instead of in the ground. Welcome to TV you will love it here probably even in the heat. PM me if you need a hand.

Last edited by Nucky; 06-29-2017 at 07:03 AM. Reason: speallling
Old 06-28-2017, 08:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I was put into a state of pure panic by family members who knew I HATE SNAKES. So far it has really been a non issue but still fun to kid about. We have seen several black racers but they live next door because we stripped the property if the overgrown ugly bushes. It looks good now. Neat and clean and modest. Most plants in beautiful pots instead of in the ground. Welcome to TV you will love it here probably even in the heat. PM me if you need a hand.

Before moving here I lived on a TPC course in NC. I carried the standard clubs and a machete which I used several times on snakes

Old 06-28-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthOfTheBorder View Post
This had to be a bill based on estimates. Not possible for the water company to read your meter, prepare a bill and get it to you, all on the same day.

We had some of the same (estimated) water bill issues right after we moved into our new home.

Is this a new home or resale?

If resale, what has the history been?

How are you sure the irrigation system is only running 2 times a week?

What size lot?

Water leaks are not uncommon in new homes. Both irrigation and inside.

We had a potable water leak 3 years after moving in. At a joint in the meter box. Not evident from the outside. Water bill went to 4x in one billing period.

Why would the water company lie to you?

There are many factors that impact your “water” bill.

If you are now living in your home you can periodically check both meters to see what your actual usage is.

You concerns are understandable and should be easy to get answered. Don’t be too discouraged, it will get worked out.

Enjoy the TV lifestyle.

Don
Thank you Don. A resale home, not a big lot. I called them when I saw 11,190 gallons on my bill. She said, yes, it's low and normal even though I told her no one lived there. And this was only 15 days and I did not even flush a toilet there after closing. My neighbor is great. After I told her she went to check for any leaks and found none. Her consumption for 30 days was about 12,000 gallons which was on a high side for her.

The superior was supposed to call me. Did not get a call back today. Will see about the near future. Keeping optimism
Old 06-28-2017, 10:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdiebill View Post
The monthly water/sewer bill includes potable water for the house, non-potable water for irrigation and the sewer bill. Irrigation usage depends on the size of the lot and the settings on the irrigation control. The outside water spigots also are potable water same as inside the house.

The bill comes monthly along with the amenity fee (around $150) and trash pick-up ($17.90). Our total monthly CSU bill runs $250-260 for our designer with an average size lot.
Excellent explanation of The Villages monthly bill.
Old 06-28-2017, 10:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I was put into a state of pure panic by family members who knew I HATE SNAKES. GE, dbussone, Tal, Mrs Gracie and Mrs Barefoot calmed me down. So far it has really been a non issue but still fun to kid about. We have seen several black racers but they live next door because we stripped the property if the overgrown ugly bushes. It looks good now. Neat and clean and modest. Most plants in beautiful pots instead of in the ground. Welcome to TV you will love it here probably even in the heat. PM me if you need a hand.
And snakes serve a useful purpose in The Villages, they eat the mice and rats.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:27 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
And snakes serve a useful purpose in The Villages, they eat the mice and rats.

We have rats & mice in TV?

Old 06-30-2017, 09:52 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,298 Times in 491 Posts

If you have the Hunter irrigation controller with "Solar Synch", you need to disable it ASAP! That program will cost you big bucks for water. It seems like a neat thing BUT given that we were in a drought situation earlier this year, the Solar Synch took control of our irrigation and overrode the times and duration. Went thru 40,000 gallons plus of irrigation water in 3 weeks before I found this cause.

There is a setting where you can disable the system for 99 days. I just keep adding days to make sure it doesn't come on. Manuals are on line at hunter.com
Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

[QUOTE=photo1902;1419005]I think you're confused about how Solar Sync functions. Solar Sync works in conjunction with the Seasonal Adjustment setting on your irrigation controller. Solar Sync does not and cannot add days or times to your irrigation schedule. During the drought, if we looked, most, if not all of us around here, would have seen our Seasonal Adjustment at 100%. Meaning if you had Zone 1 set to run for 40 minutes, that zone would actually run the entire duration. If we had cooler temps, or rain, Solar Sync and the Seasonal Adjustment quite possibly would lower the setting from 100% to any less percentage, thereby shortening the run time of your zones. The Seasonal Adjustment setting can be permanently disabled by disconnecting a wire in the control box. That way, if you set it to 100%, it never changes. Lastly, disabling the Solar Sync will result in you being "that guy" whose irrigation is running when it's pouring rain.
Closed Thread

Tags
bill, sewer, water, reading, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.