Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2019, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Her water bill should be awful.
Yep!

Enough so, that if she can afford to pay it month after month., she can certainly afford to fix...what is basically a small problem.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:59 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Shut water off to her irrigation system when she not looking..
Old 04-14-2019, 08:34 AM
Veteran member

A lot of good advice from TOTV members. I have found the arrogant or insolent usually respond when their purse or wallet is threatened. If you make it clear it’s cheaper for her to fix her problem than a day before a judge, she just might listen. Money is a big motivator for some. If your appeal still gets no action, sue. I’ve never had to sue anyone and hope I never have to but sometimes you just don’t have a choice. Now if there is some oddball FL law that allows her to win the case, she could become a very difficult neighbor. Therefore, before you threaten a day in court, please buy an hour from a real estate lawyer.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,423 Times in 5,111 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Her water bill should be awful.
Unfortuately, 20,000 gallons of irrigation water only costs about 50 dollars.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

You will get this problem solved and when you do, come back and let us know it was handled.
Old 04-14-2019, 12:22 PM
Default Small claims is not an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Tell your neighbor that if it is not fixed by the weekend that you will be taking her to small claims court for the cost of repairs.
The reason is that the problem is still going on. You can use small claims court for payment of damages but, you must establish a financial value.

I for one am surprised that the Villages has refused to handle this matter. Perhaps, like most disputes we only are told one side of any dispute.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:13 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
The reason is that the problem is still going on. You can use small claims court for payment of damages but, you must establish a financial value.

I for one am surprised that the Villages has refused to handle this matter. Perhaps, like most disputes we only are told one side of any dispute.
Rather snarky comment. There is only one side - my property is destroyed because of her careless lack of concern by not fixing the issue. By the way - my water has been turned off for 5 months so the lake in my backyard is all her making. I can provide her name and address if you wish to verify my credibility.

Last edited by DianeM; 04-14-2019 at 05:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:16 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
A French drain, made of plastic can be installed easily and cheaply, (under the grass is sand) should not cost more than $200. Most likely a LOT cheaper than a lawyer.

The French drain will at least save YOUR lawn.

ASK for several bids. These guys who can put them in will fox you if you let them.
Guess again. A French drain runs between $5,000 and $8,000 and that is not something I should have to shell out for her lack of attention to this problem. My lawn is already trashed with the grass drowned and the top soil eroded to a point that I have sand for a yard.

Last edited by DianeM; 04-14-2019 at 05:23 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Guess again. A French drain runs between $5,000 and $8,000 and that is not something I should have to shell out for her lack of attention to this problem.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 04-14-2019 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:26 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeod View Post
Could Community Standards help? It seems one owner’s action (or inaction) is having a negative effect on another owner.
Community Standards point blank told me they do not get involved and it was my problem to resolve. Guess disagreements are contrary to their vision
Old 04-14-2019, 05:29 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

A google search came up with a few different configurations for the price of a french drain. Deep-trench drains of significant length could be between $6k-10k. The average shallow french drain between 30 and 50 feet long, would be between $350 and $1500 but average just under $1000.

I get that this is something that this definitely needs to be dealt with, and that you'll probably need to seek recourse from the courts. But you also need to ask yourself which is more urgent: fighting a lawsuit, or preventing more damage to your property.

Both sound like they're necessary. But if one waits too long, the other might be devastating.

What I would do is what was addressed already up-thread I think: put your concern and request in writing, in plain English. And mail it to your neighbor, return receipt requested. That way you have proof that a) you knew it was a problem and b) you tried to get her to fix it, at such and such a date.

Otherwise she could just say "what problem? I didn't know there was a problem." You need proof that she knows, if you intend to bring it up in court. Whether it's a problem caused by her, or by whoever put the pipes in, or by the sewer company, or whatever else - that's all research that needs to be done before you take it to court.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:42 PM

A crazy idea--wouldn't it be cheaper to offer to pay to fix her leak?

Northeast Ohio, Northern California, including Santa Cruz, Oakland Hills, East Bay, Stockton and Merced and now The Villages
Old 04-14-2019, 05:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
A google search came up with a few different configurations for the price of a french drain. Deep-trench drains of significant length could be between $6k-10k. The average shallow french drain between 30 and 50 feet long, would be between $350 and $1500 but average just under $1000.

I get that this is something that this definitely needs to be dealt with, and that you'll probably need to seek recourse from the courts. But you also need to ask yourself which is more urgent: fighting a lawsuit, or preventing more damage to your property.

Both sound like they're necessary. But if one waits too long, the other might be devastating.

What I would do is what was addressed already up-thread I think: put your concern and request in writing, in plain English. And mail it to your neighbor, return receipt requested. That way you have proof that a) you knew it was a problem and b) you tried to get her to fix it, at such and such a date.

Otherwise she could just say "what problem? I didn't know there was a problem." You need proof that she knows, if you intend to bring it up in court. Whether it's a problem caused by her, or by whoever put the pipes in, or by the sewer company, or whatever else - that's all research that needs to be done before you take it to court.
It's all been notated by both me and The Villages. i plan to sue her plain and simple .

Last edited by DianeM; 04-14-2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:46 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
A crazy idea--wouldn't it be cheaper to offer to pay to fix her leak?
Are you serious? Pay for someone else's carelessness? Not going to happen.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,374 Times in 3,051 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DianeM View Post
Are you serious? Pay for someone else's carelessness? Not going to happen.
If you lose the lawsuit, will you still refuse to fix it? Again I agree that this sounds like something that will ultimately need to end up in court. I totally get that and agree with it.

But taking someone to court doesn't always mean winning the lawsuit.

If you lose, you pay the court costs, and their court costs, and you still have damage to your property, and the leak that caused the damage still isn't fixed. But now, you know that your neighbor won't have to pay to fix it.

You have to be prepared to lose, if you plan on taking someone to court. This isn't to say that you'll lose. But you have to plan for the possibility. To do otherwise is short-sighted.

Fighting to prove you're right rarely ends up well.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, call, tsk, avail, spoke

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.