Water keeps shutting off

Closed Thread
Old 01-17-2019, 11:30 AM
Default Water keeps shutting off

Having repeated problems with push pull valves under faucet sinks. They close by themselves. Any ideas. This is a 10 year old house but new to us. Thanks
Old 01-17-2019, 11:44 AM

Contact a plumber and have those push pull valves replaced with a better quality valve
Old 01-17-2019, 11:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,742 Times in 703 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanrn View Post
Having repeated problems with push pull valves under faucet sinks. They close by themselves. Any ideas. This is a 10 year old house but new to us. Thanks
Yes. This is not an unusual occurrence for push-pull (Accor) shut-off valves. More than likely it's failing and needs to be replaced. OR, it could be that the water pressure in your house is too high. If it's only one valve, I suspect that valve is failing. Unless you're comfortable doing plumbing jobs yourself, I would suggest calling a plumber.

The valves are not terribly difficult to replace (the worst part is getting them off). After turning off water to the house, the Accor's can be twisted off, although I prefer to use a small pipe cutter on the body of the valve. It does less damage to the water supply line. You'll want to replace them with a 1/4 or multi-turn shut off valve (probably what you're familiar with on previous homes).
Old 01-17-2019, 01:04 PM
Default Faulty water expansion tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanrn View Post
Do a search here for "Expansion tank" and you will find much discussion on this problem.

Evidently the valves pop out because of high water pressure in the system. This is caused by a faulty expansion tank which is located usually above the water heater. (look for the small upside down tank)

This is a plumbers job to fix.
Old 01-17-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoSteveO View Post
Do a search here for "Expansion tank" and you will find much discussion on this problem.

Evidently the valves pop out because of high water pressure in the system. This is caused by a faulty expansion tank which is located usually above the water heater. (look for the small upside down tank)

This is a plumbers job to fix.
I don't know if your problem is caused by the expansion tank. But, if you don't have an expansion tank, or if you have a defective one, you should get it fixed or get one installed. If the water heater is 10 years old, you may want to have it replaced. Some plumbers will install a new water heater, and not provide the expansion tank, especially if there was not one installed previously. But, I would never allow a plumber to install a new water heater without an expansion tank to prevent excessive water pressure in the house.
Old 01-17-2019, 06:48 PM

My water valves were closing by themselves, bad expansion tank above the water heater. 10 year old Gardenia
Old 01-18-2019, 03:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Had my gas water heater replaced, it was original and 14 years old, not leaking yet, I didn’t want wait till it did. I picked one out at Lowe’s, they’re contractor replaced the tank, plumbed out with new pipes and installs new expansion tank, and hauled off the old one. If it was electric I would do done it myself. Didn’t want mess with gas water heater. I’ve had most of the pop off valves replaced. If it was me I’d just replace water heater and expansion valve. Water heater on borrowed time anyway and probably got calcium buildup anyway.
Old 01-18-2019, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Had my gas water heater replaced, it was original and 14 years old, not leaking yet, I didn’t want wait till it did. I picked one out at Lowe’s, they’re contractor replaced the tank, plumbed out with new pipes and installs new expansion tank, and hauled off the old one. If it was electric I would do done it myself. Didn’t want mess with gas water heater. I’ve had most of the pop off valves replaced. If it was me I’d just replace water heater and expansion valve. Water heater on borrowed time anyway and probably got calcium buildup anyway.
Hope you got the $400.00 rebate. Plumber should have done the paper work. Check the box you want rebate to go to you.

Conservation Rebates - Peoples Gas
Old 01-19-2019, 10:47 AM

I was fixing a bad toilet float yesterday and had occasion to use the water valve a number of times.

It seems to me that the automatic turning off 'feature' is actually designed in. The way the thing works and is designed almost seems like the intent of the valve was to turn off with a surge of water pressure. This would make sense as it would protect the fixtures from leaking and damage.
Old 01-19-2019, 11:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Hope you got the $400.00 rebate. Plumber should have done the paper work. Check the box you want rebate to go to you.

Conservation Rebates - Peoples Gas
Didn’t know about it, been probably year ago. Maybe they stuck it in they’re pockets
Old 01-19-2019, 12:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,623 Times in 5,201 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
I was fixing a bad toilet float yesterday and had occasion to use the water valve a number of times.

It seems to me that the automatic turning off 'feature' is actually designed in. The way the thing works and is designed almost seems like the intent of the valve was to turn off with a surge of water pressure. This would make sense as it would protect the fixtures from leaking and damage.
The Accor valves are not designed to shut off automatically, but they will sometimes close if the water pressure gets too high. I would call it a defective valve. You can buy a flexible toilet supply line that has a flow device that will automatically close when there is a leak and the water flows faster than normal. I don't like them because the only way to reset it is to remove the entire connection from the valve.

Last edited by retiredguy123; 01-19-2019 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-19-2019, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

I had the problem with the valves under my sink. Later found that the retractable spray hose line was hooking the valve and pulling it to off position. Other than that no problem on 12 year old home
Closed Thread

Tags
ideas, year, house, close, repeated

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.