Water leak somewhere in home

Closed Thread
Old 01-24-2019, 02:31 PM
Default Water leak somewhere in home

I am wondering how many other people are experiencing water leaks in their Villages home. My bedroom rug is saturated and the grout in the hallway is darkening and whitish lime appears to be coming to the surface. Is this just an isolated problem I have or has anyone else experienced this.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:01 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecat View Post
I am wondering how many other people are experiencing water leaks in their Villages home. My bedroom rug is saturated and the grout in the hallway is darkening and whitish lime appears to be coming to the surface. Is this just an isolated problem I have or has anyone else experienced this.
That sounds serious, have you got a plumber involved yet? Please keep us posted on what is found.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Check to see that your condensate line isn't plugged and causing a water overflow.

Look for water in your furnace area.

Air Conditioner A coil drain

If your bedroom is a long ways away from this area and you don't have water near the furnace, it's probably coming in from somewhere outside (roof/slab/??).

Good luck finding it, but I suggest you call an expert...very soon.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,302 Times in 865 Posts

And call your insurance carrier. I assume you are out of warranty.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 01-24-2019, 03:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,414 Times in 5,106 Posts

Turn everything off, including the ice maker, and make sure none of the toilets are leaking. Then, look at the water meter to see if it has any movement indicating water usage. That will tell you if you have a leak in the house water system. Also, check to see if the ground outside the house is sloped away from the house with no standing water. If the wet carpet is near a window, water can be coming in around the window frame. If it is a concrete house, water can come in through a small crack in the concrete. Although, I agree that you may need to call a contractor or plumber. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:33 PM

After you get the water addressed, do you mind telling us what year your house was built?
Old 01-24-2019, 04:07 PM
Gold member

Just coordinated repairs on a flooded house owned by friends from PA. Turns out there water heater burst, but at first we thought it may be an under the foundation pipe. Best to check with your insurance company and get a professional leak detection service to check it out before it gets worse. The home I am still working on had to replace all carpet, wood floors, and baseboards after 5 days of water damage professionals drying out the interior. As I type this the painters are finishing painting the whole interior today. For help on vendors (carpentry, painting, etc. contact The Villages Warranty (352-753-6222). They are extremely helpful.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:19 PM
Gold member

I had something similar but it was contained to the bathroom. I don't know what hallway you are talking about or where the carpet is in relation to the bathroom. Our problem was that the reservoir for the toilet had a slow leak where it attached to the bowl AND the wax ring needed to be replaced. The best thing to do is to call a plumber.

Last edited by pauld315; 01-24-2019 at 06:47 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:34 PM
TOTV SPONSOR

Without more info it is difficult to answer your questions....and I would respectfully think you care more about your home....whether or not any other of the thousands of homes in The Villages have leaks seems irrelevant.

As some have said, here is what you should do.

1) check all water valves, toilet valves, toilet seals, shut off valves under sinks, etc.

2) Check your A/C condensate line to see if it is plugged and overflowing. Is your filter wet? Is the bottom of your return wet?

3) Check around your water heater.

4) Check your washer hose lines.

5) If all that seems good, turn off water and check meter for any flow.

6) IF the A/C was good, check with a Plumber or a good Leak detection company. There are some good ones out there.

Hope this helps!

Frank D.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:40 PM

It could also be coming in from outdoors, maybe from that very heavy driving rainstorm last night?

Might not be the first time water came in?

Maybe coming in through a vertical crack in the concrete blocks? The ones that Frank finds during his inspections.

And weren't there some problems in the past with water coming in at the joint between the footing of foundation and the walls? Driving rainstorms then I think too.

I think there were some double front windows with caulking issues too a couple of years ago.
Old 01-24-2019, 10:41 PM
Platinum member

Wax ring on toilet in our neighbor's house failed when they were not home and came home and found bedroom carpet soaked.
Old 01-25-2019, 05:45 AM
TOTV SPONSOR

Great points Steve.....Yes. I should have also posted those items. (Yesterday was a long day....).

The original post did not say how old the home was. We did have a short driving rain the other morning. This is why on a stucco home it is important to have the home repainted with all cracks caulked every 7-10 years or so.

And we do find double windows with mullion problems.

Moisture intrusion is the number one problem for any home.

Frank D.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:22 AM

We also had a wet carpet in our bedroom - it was determined that the neighbors plant watering spigots were broken and shooting water straight up under my eaves and obviously soaked into the concrete wall or foundation. We live in a courtyard villa.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2019, 10:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

We had the same thing happen to our house, but it was our own irrigation system, a sprinkler head failed or came off (we never found it), but the water shot straight up to the eves, into the concrete block wall and into the bedroom, so turn on your irrigation system one zone at a time and walk the house. Hope this helps.

Tags
water, home, coming, surface, leak

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.