Water main breaks

Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2016, 04:49 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Sorry. I walked on your joke line...continue..
...a rabbi, a priest, and a minister walk into a bar. The bartender looks at them and says, "What is this, a joke?"
Old 03-18-2016, 04:53 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
This is a subject that is of some great interest to me. I made the majority of my living producing the material that creates the pipes in the street, the curb in front of your home, the slab you live on and the floors in hi rise office buildings and the patio you BBQ on. It is a very serious subject but no cause for any alarm whatsoever. What you are facing is a inconvenience, if it was a concrete strength failure on the 20th floor of a 60 floor building then maybe a little different. It is a high probability that it is not the material of the pipe but is the ground shifting around the pipe. I can't see the pipe from where I am. Heavy equipment travel can also cause a problem.
So, are we to assume you're the one responsible for cement costing twice as much in the NYC metro ? Are you Jimmy "the Nucky" Catalano ?
Old 03-18-2016, 06:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

I am the OP, and I thought of several initial responses to two of the responses. I then thought better of it, since some people may not be aware of how questions/comments intended to be witty do not always translate well online.

Rather than say "what's it to ya" or "if not interested, go on to the next post" to some of the responders, I will say that I am interested in the answer to my question for a couple of reasons, including who pays for all these repairs? Is the cost passed on to us? Are there more sinkholes than we suspected? Is that what is causing the water main breaks? This part of town isn't that old, so the pipes should still be good, I would think.

I am appreciative for the thoughtful responses.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:50 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

maybe lightning
Leaky Plumbing Linked To Lightning Strikes - tribunedigital-orlandosentinel

One would think when the pipe is examined a reasonable guess would be made. Was the pipe broken, corroded, connection loosened, etc. If is was ground movement that might be harder to determine after the break has caused the surrounding soil and sand to be washed away.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:01 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
I am the OP, and I thought of several initial responses to two of the responses. I then thought better of it, since some people may not be aware of how questions/comments intended to be witty do not always translate well online.

Rather than say "what's it to ya" or "if not interested, go on to the next post" to some of the responders, I will say that I am interested in the answer to my question for a couple of reasons, including who pays for all these repairs? Is the cost passed on to us? Are there more sinkholes than we suspected? Is that what is causing the water main breaks? This part of town isn't that old, so the pipes should still be good, I would think.

I am appreciative for the thoughtful responses.

If I remember what I read some time ago, I used to be SO good at that, Sumter County is seventh in Florida for number of sinkholes. Near Tampa is the worst area. Our amenity fee is based on cost of living. Not even some overactive and enthusiastic spenders who are elected to the CDD boards can make the amenity fee go up. We have had broken pipes and sinkholes at a somewhat constant rate since we first stepped into The Villages some nine years ago and we have NEVER had an "extra" bill for any repairs. We are assessed for grounds keeping of the common areas and perhaps it falls under that.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickeyD View Post
So, are we to assume you're the one responsible for cement costing twice as much in the NYC metro ? Are you Jimmy "the Nucky" Catalano ?
I was in the manufacturing & muscle side of the business and collections. $$$ Finance was left to the suits & salesmen. I was happy for the strong union that the drivers worked for because it just made our package better without having to pay the dues. Old school bosses who were the greatest. Customers who treated us like family..a storybook job. Stories to follow in person if we ever get to TV. Two kids still driving mixers here so I get to hear about everything. ZZzzz. Concrete Pipe is a specialty item and technically involved.

Nucky came from my grandfather and someone he was hanging with during prohibition in the Oranges in New Jersey, said I looked like a younger version of this person but I never met the man myself. Castellano, never heard of him, Capische.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, breaks, main, age, land, cdd, happen, subsidence, opposed, speculation, simple, notices, moving, recently, winter, due, cold, village, santiago, indiana

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.