Water odor

Closed Thread
Old 01-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Default Water odor

Hi our house is 15 months old and lately there has been a strong sulphur odor coming from one of the master bathroom sinks and the laundry room. We do have a whole house water softener system. Strange it is only coming from those faucets. Any ideas? Thanks!
Old 01-18-2015, 04:24 PM
Gold member
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James

I get the same thing in one of my master baths sinks. We thought it was the water also but I believe it is actually coming from the drain. I use the sink all the time but if I don't run the water for 8 hours or so, I can smell it. I usually pour a combination of Clorox and water down the drain and don't run the water for an hour and usually it takes care of it for about 3 weeks or more. Give it a try.
Old 01-18-2015, 04:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by electricblue View Post
Hi our house is 15 months old and lately there has been a strong sulphur odor coming from one of the master bathroom sinks and the laundry room. We do have a whole house water softener system. Strange it is only coming from those faucets. Any ideas? Thanks!
Had the same problem a few years ago. We tried drain cleaners. We removed the traps and scoured them. Nothing worked. Then for no apparent reason the odor disappeared. I think somehow sewer gases were backing up but have no idea what corrected it.
I don't believe it is the water. If it were the water the odor would be evident in all sinks, showers, washing machine and tubs.
Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the info. I did put bleach down all the drains. Let sit overnight and the odor is gone! Yay!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.