Photographic examples of privacy around the lanai...

Closed Thread
Old 01-14-2008, 01:31 PM
Veteran member
Default Photographic examples of privacy around the lanai...

Can folks in Ranches, Designers, etc. post a photo or two of creative (but legal) ways they have provided some privacy around their lanais in the back yard?

On another thread, the topic of "fences" is discussed, with some reference to hedges. Two or three strategically placed small trees in combination with a hedge could also add to some privacy. The ability to "privatize" the back yard will be a factor as to whether we go with a courtyard villa or not.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Sage
Default Re: Photographic examples of privacy around the lanai...

OK I know this doesn't answer the question but for me the only way to get privacy is this:

The Villages Florida
Old 01-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ_Boston
OK I know this doesn't answer the question but for me the only way to get privacy is this:

The Villages Florida
A few "Beware of alligator" signs should be added Russ Boston to assure maximum privacy. :joke:
Old 01-14-2008, 02:33 PM
Veteran member

...are you suggesting a large landscape mural along the rear property line? ;D
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley
Old 01-14-2008, 03:00 PM
Sage

I guess we are a strange sort but, we actually dont want privacy. We really enjoy sitting on the lanai and watching the golfers go by! Its even funnier to hear there very funny and sometimes four letter word comments.
Last time we were down a group of golfers actually asked us if they could join us on the lanai for breakfast! We just love the friendliness of the villagers! ;D

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-14-2008, 03:07 PM
Veteran member

...to clarify my question...* * For the majority of homeowners who back to another house and didn't pay the extra $40,000 to $100,000 for a golf-course view, what creative ways did they use to create some privacy in their back yards as viewed from their lanai.* Any photos?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Sage

GFMucci,

Sorry, didnt mean to throw your post off track, but you would be amazed how little we paid for our home with a golf course view.

If our home backed up to another home, we would definitely be looking for ways to create more privacy also, Im sure.OK, back to being seriousabout this subject. :redface:

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:05 PM
Veteran member

If you look at the page TheVillages4rent.com and scan through the listings you will see some very nice creative and Village compliant landscaping. We have submitted all of our landscaping projects for approval and they have all been approved. It is really not hard to follow the rules and have some privacy. The very negative post on this site represent a very small percentage of the population of The Villages. Please do not let them discourage you from moving here.
Old 01-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halle
The very negative post on this site represent a very small percentage of the population of The Villages. Please do not let them discourage you from moving here.
Trust me, the tiny minority of negativity in TV reflected by this site or thread doesn't even show up as a blip on my mind's radar compared to the negativity experienced in most towns and cities!* It sometimes appears that, in other places, large numbers of folks take pleasure in their role as a bunch of raving libertarian anarchists.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:11 PM

A neighbor behind us had their screen replaced with a privacy type of screening. The brighter it got outside the more it blocked your view to inside. Our concern was how much light did it block from coming into the home. It seemed to be negligible. Their home is a Lantana and it cost them around $700. It did allow you to sit on your lanai and not be seen. We are lucky as we really like all our neighbors, as when we are out we have the opportunity for impromptu get togethers. Of course this is subject to change. We do plan to plant some things, but not to the extent that we close ourselves off. To get back on topic: I don't at this time have any photos, but we are open to ideas also.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:14 PM

Honestly, I read this thread being curious about seeing photos of privacy landscaping. I see nothing wrong with wanting privacy behind my home instead of looking into someone elses lanai, whether it be landscaping or golf course. I also did not read any negativity into the few posts on this thread (maybe a little sarcasm).

I do, however, feel badly for anyone who can't stand any kind of conversation which, in their opinion, is critical. There is freedom of speech in the U.S., and TV is in the U.S., isn't it?

Name calling is an easy and childish form of bullying. Try having an adult conversation about issues for a change. Of course I know you are in the minority so hopefully that won't change my mind about buying a house here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfmucci
Trust me, the tiny minority of negativity in TV reflected by this site or thread doesn't even show up as a blip on my mind's radar compared to the negativity experienced in most towns and cities! It sometimes appears that large numbers of folks are tormented by their role as a bunch of raving libertarian anarchists.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

Lest anyone here take offense prematurely, my comments on the quoted post above were directed to my experiences with other cities, and was not directed at any poster on this site regarding TV.* I was contrasting the positive attitude of folks in TV compared to more frequent negativity of people in other places.* If the shoe fits, wear it.* Everyone certainly has the RIGHT to b---h all they want.* Many exercise that right very freely and frequently.* Go for it if you must.* But I note there is a lot less of it in TV, if this website is an accurate reflection.* That is why I am seriously considering the move here.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:12 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rekops
First of all we are unlucky that the house directly behind us and directly opposite our Gardenia bedroom is inhabited by some very nice, but very noisy people. At first it was their TV blaring on their lanai. After talking with them, they got wireless headphones. But they practically live on their lanai, and enjoy alcohol way too much. Sometimes their parties go to 1:00 am. We have finally gotten through to them enough so that things are quite alot better. Sorry I cant send a photo, in case the nieghbors inhabit this site. We want to keep the peace.
As a former president used to say "Ah feel your pain."* If you turn lucky, we can hope they drink enough so they cannot run a computer to see your comment.* Not much you can do about neighbors who have an entirely different "consideration" value system.* Visibility is easier to block than noise. I wonder if even a "courtyard villa" would help in this situation.
Old 01-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Send a message via AIM to DENNIS G Send a message via MSN to DENNIS G

Don't have any pictures, but I have seen some that use the small opening plastic/vinyl lattice inside their screens. Can hardly see thru it.
Old 01-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Soaring Eagle member

BEFORE
The Villages Florida

AFTER, note in addition to plantings put in to screen view we also replaced 3 large panels across the lanai back wall with privacy screening material.
The Villages Florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.