Water seeping into carpet from concrete pad

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2020, 07:39 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
Anyone else have this situation? A few weeks ago I had a wet patch in the center of my master bedroom carpeting. Not even close to the windows or walls. Last night it happened again in a different area. Not a pet stain. No odor, just clean water. I have a frame house (Camelia) with vinyl siding it is about 15 years old. I have gutters around the entire house. Today we had a professional inspection. He tested various areas of the room penetrating the carpet with a special tool. He found evidence of water beyond the normal amount to expect. Apparently concrete always has a slight moisture presence. He inspected the exterior of the house and the windows. Then he pulled back the carpeting and, it appears the water is seeping in from cracks in the concrete. I had planned on replacing the carpeting sometime with wood but now not sure that is a safe choice.
I would be just sick if we had water leaking in, in the middle of the floor & not close to any windows or shower or sink. Personally I wouldn’t bandaid fix it by putting plastic down because the cracks in the floor will still be there & probably continue to leak. You got to find out why you have a leak coming through a crack. It would be terrible to bandaid fix it & latter find out you have a sink hole starting or water building up putting so much pressure on your foundation it’s cracking the concrete. If you don’t have wet spots leadings from any water sources, it’s probably leaking under the foundation. Boy it doesn’t sound like a cheap fix! I wouldn’t want to guess at the issue unless I had this issue myself. Just hope you don’t have a sink hole starting under your home. Good luck & hope you don’t have to spend lots of money fixing it.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:52 AM
Location: atl (marietta) - 1/20 bought on killington loop then covoid hit - looking again

sealing conc can be either bldr's item OR flooring guy's - sometimes neither - just depends,,, tv concrete is not waterproof - it would have to be 5,000psi mix design to qualify for that,,, conc's porous & will draw 'up' water thru capillary action
absent leaks, a slight trench drain about the slab properly drained might resolve the issue - certainly can't hurt
we svce some atl town home units w/underfloor leaks - typically copper pipes spouting pinholes - that could also be a cause
newbie coming in may so still ignorant re tv const methods/materials
Old 02-12-2020, 07:57 AM
Default Water problem

We have a brand new refrigerator, Samsung, that freezes up and leaked water into our master bedroom under the wall. Possibly the problem?
Old 02-12-2020, 08:40 AM
Default Water

It happened to us and was caused by a faulty hose bib on the outside of the house.
Old 02-12-2020, 08:41 AM

I manage 90+ properties in The Villages and have experienced this a t a couple houses. Get a Plumber out, you could have something called a SLAB LEAK. Our pipes are run under and thru the Slab Foundation and can get a leak. Water will come to the surface since the Concrete is porous. They will come in with Sonar Equipment to determine if there is a leak.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

In 2012 the CYV next door to our villa was less than a year old and when the snowbirds returned for the winter there was water through the master BR and bath. They called the warranty department and they immediately came and said the pipes under the slab had a leak. Initially they wanted to come in through my yard, but eventually decided to jackhammer into the slab floor directly below the master bath.

The workers removed the bathroom vanity, toilet and carpeting, vinyl flooring and then jackhammered into the slab, dug out the dirt and found the leak and repaired the pipe. Filled the dirt back in, removed the drywall up about 3', ran high speed fans and heaters for about 3 days until all the moisture was gone. Then brought in new construction workers who replaced everything like it was a new bedroom and bath. I think the bathtub was the only thing they didn't change. No cost to the homeowners. It took about 3 weeks for the whole repair.
Old 02-12-2020, 09:43 AM

We had a problem once with our bedroom carpet being wet too (near our doorway into the bathroom). It turned out the showerhead piping was leaking inside the wall where it was all connected at the top. This caused the water to drain into the pan underneath our shower to overfill and water oozed out somehow to the carpeting near our shower. A plumber came took the shower head apart (without damaging the wall), fixed the leak and all was well. Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:29 AM

We had laminate reinstalled a few of years ago and the moisture barrier had a velt back at the time and in some areas it was completely soaked. The moisture content of our slab was to high at the time to install the new flooring, we waited couple of days and the moisture content did not go down. They suspected leaks in our plumbing that runs through the slab, had a pipes pressure checked no leaks were found. We ended up sealing our slap with an epoxy sealant, the cost was $300.00 a gallon but after it was applied 0% moisture reading.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:30 AM

Do you have a pool or a one of those strip drains? If clogged, I've seen same problem.- Walter Anderson
Old 02-12-2020, 11:07 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,232 Times in 419 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Not to belabor the point, but the condenser is the outside unit and doesn't need to be anywhere near the condensate drain line. The condensate drain is at the air handling unit (furnace), which is usually located in the garage. It drains water to the closest point outside of the house. Your house may be different.
Exactly.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:14 PM

We had a similar problem. Turned out to be a shower leak from the cold water valve. Water was leaking from the pipe in the wall, under the tile, then eventually to the carpeting in the master bedroom closet.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:28 PM

We had a problem where there was a ring under the toilet (not the wax ring) that had been cracked in the master water closet. It leaked under the tile with no evidence and, eventually, the entrance to the master bedroom and master closet were quite wet. It took a few trips by plumber and the builder to figure it out but it was fixed under warranty.
Old 02-12-2020, 02:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
I would be just sick if we had water leaking in, in the middle of the floor & not close to any windows or shower or sink. Personally I wouldn’t bandaid fix it by putting plastic down because the cracks in the floor will still be there & probably continue to leak. You got to find out why you have a leak coming through a crack. It would be terrible to bandaid fix it & latter find out you have a sink hole starting or water building up putting so much pressure on your foundation it’s cracking the concrete. If you don’t have wet spots leadings from any water sources, it’s probably leaking under the foundation. Boy it doesn’t sound like a cheap fix! I wouldn’t want to guess at the issue unless I had this issue myself. Just hope you don’t have a sink hole starting under your home. Good luck & hope you don’t have to spend lots of money fixing it.
thats exactly what i was thinking. could it really form a sinkhole?
Old 02-12-2020, 02:51 PM
Veteran member

wrong,pipes are under house.
Old 02-12-2020, 05:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
wrong,pipes are under house.
Drive by some new construction just before the slab is pored. If you see pips sticking up from the ground then you know the pipes are under the slab.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, carpeting, house, concrete, carpet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.