Water seeping into carpet from concrete pad

Closed Thread
Old 02-12-2020, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
Before calling an HVAC contractor, just pour water down the condensate line and see if it comes out the other end outside. Homeowners should know how to do this, and they should pour vinegar through the condensate line every 3 months or so to prevent it from clogging. But I doubt that the condensate line runs under the master bedroom.
I totally agree with you. I have been doing this for 17 years.......Never had a problem.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:38 PM
Veteran member

If there's an outside faucet on outside wall of the room. Water lines are either under the slab or in base of interior wall just above baseboard. Latter was the routing in my house to outside water faucet
Old 02-13-2020, 05:58 AM

Most likely a slab leak. Call American leak detection or Sleuth. They will come out and pressure test your house and locate the leak or source of the water so you plumber can jack hammer the slab and repair the pipe. Usually costs around $300 for their services.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Hopefully, the OP has already called a leak detection company, determined the issue and is having it currently repaired...while thread posts keep occurring.

I will be anxious to hear, when the OP gets the chance, to find out from them what it was...and how serious.

Good luck OP.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:37 AM

We had a similar problem, quickly diagnosed by our insurance adjuster, as water from dry, cracking, poorly applied caulk on our windows. I was very confident it was coming up from below and ended up being cured by recaulking our windows!
Old 02-13-2020, 10:14 AM

I had this problem in my home when I lived in Deland Florida. Home Depot and I imagine Lowe's sell a concrete sealer that comes in a gallon size just like a gallon of paint. Just make sure to dry out the whole floor with a fan for a few days then put the concrete sealer all over the floor and do two or three coats wherever you find any cracks. When you put down new flooring make sure you put flooring that has a moisture barrier or just buy a roll of moisture barrier to go under the new flooring. Builders don't usually seal the concrete floors which they should do here in Florida as all concrete will absorb moisture and often will develop cracks. Putting a good sealing compound on cement floors is strongly advised in Florida.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:08 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:
Before calling an HVAC contractor, just pour water down the condensate line and see if it comes out the other end outside. Homeowners should know how to do this, and they should pour vinegar through the condensate line every 3 months or so to prevent it from clogging. But I doubt that the condensate line runs under the master bedroom.
How much Vinegar do you pour down the condensate line? I use about a quart and I'm wondering if that's enough.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrieker68 View Post
We had a problem where there was a ring under the toilet (not the wax ring) that had been cracked in the master water closet. It leaked under the tile with no evidence and, eventually, the entrance to the master bedroom and master closet were quite wet. It took a few trips by plumber and the builder to figure it out but it was fixed under warranty.
Remember jrieker68, they said their home is 15 yrs. old. I had a 7 yr. old home & had to replace one of the builders cheap windows & it still cost me $150. I’ll bet you anything that window only cost the builder half that.
Old 02-13-2020, 03:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Englander View Post
How much Vinegar do you pour down the condensate line? I use about a quart and I'm wondering if that's enough.
I use a cup once a month.
I also pour a gallon of hot water into the pipe. My idea is too try and flush anything out of the pipe with running water. The vinegar is to kill any algae or mold.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
I think a quart of vinegar is enough. You are just trying to inhibit mold growth. Bleach will probably work better, but some experts say that the fumes can cause corrosion inside the supply fan unit. So, if you use bleach, make sure you don't spill it and that you immediately replace the plastic cap on the condensate drain pipe inside the unit.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:09 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I think a quart of vinegar is enough. You are just trying to inhibit mold growth. Bleach will probably work better, but some experts say that the fumes can cause corrosion inside the supply fan unit. So, if you use bleach, make sure you don't spill it and that you immediately replace the plastic cap on the condensate drain pipe inside the unit.
What about the pan underneath the coils where said drain is attached? I tried to clean it, but there is not any room to get at it.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,599 Times in 5,194 Posts

Quote:
What about the pan underneath the coils where said drain is attached? I tried to clean it, but there is not any room to get at it.
You would probably need an HVAC technician to clean out the pan, but it's probably not worth the cost. There is an electronic float switch that is designed to shut down the system if the pan fills with water. I would just occasionally check to see that water is coming out of the pipe outside your house, especially on a hot day in July when the unit is running. If it is, your condensate drain line is functioning.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:41 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Put a couple of these in the pan:
Access Denied
Old 02-13-2020, 10:08 PM

Same night as sprinkler ?
Old 02-13-2020, 11:28 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Put a couple of these in the pan:
Access Denied
Good idea!
Closed Thread

Tags
water, carpeting, house, concrete, carpet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.