Water seeping into carpet from concrete pad

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2020, 10:12 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
thats exactly what i was thinking. could it really form a sinkhole?
That’s why I thought not to bandaids fix it. It could be a disaster waiting to happen. There’s people that can check this without digging or any damage to the home. Just a suggestion! Good Luck!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:25 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
Anyone else have this situation? A few weeks ago I had a wet patch in the center of my master bedroom carpeting. Not even close to the windows or walls. Last night it happened again in a different area. Not a pet stain. No odor, just clean water. I have a frame house (Camelia) with vinyl siding it is about 15 years old. I have gutters around the entire house. Today we had a professional inspection. He tested various areas of the room penetrating the carpet with a special tool. He found evidence of water beyond the normal amount to expect. Apparently concrete always has a slight moisture presence. He inspected the exterior of the house and the windows. Then he pulled back the carpeting and, it appears the water is seeping in from cracks in the concrete. I had planned on replacing the carpeting sometime with wood but now not sure that is a safe choice.
LadyDi, you know just to be safe I would have the right people come in & see if it MIGHT be a sink hole Starting under your home. I don’t think they’re would be no damage or repairs for just checking. They have equipment that either Xrays or uses sound waves to see if ground is settling under your house & it maybe be nothing. No use bandaids fixing it because it might be a waste of money. But could be a disaster if your house falls into a hole. Hope you have a follow up letting us know what you found. Hope your findings were the grandkids spilling water, LOL.
Old 02-15-2020, 05:55 AM

We have a friend here that after 9 years had water in the middle of dining room. It ended up to be an old crack in the hot water line coming from the furnace room in the garage, they think the crack existed years before and the Villages covered the expense of fixing water pipe crack and new floor.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:02 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

The Villages paid to have it fixed? I am not surprised. Thank you Janisha. I misread you for a second.

OP. Have you found out the cause yet????
Old 02-15-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,754 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post

OP. Have you found out the cause yet????

I've been wondering as well.

The situation is scary.
Old 02-17-2020, 07:59 AM
Default Check for leaks with new construction!

All,

Check for leaks on new construction!

I had guests for the weekend, and they used our guest bedroom and bathroom of our Iris home in Marsh Bend. First real use of both. We closed in September, visited a few weeks in October and December, but never used the shower/tub in the guest bathroom. Finally full time at end of January.

Upon leaving Sunday morning, son was packing up, and reported that items on the floor in the bedroom were soaking wet. For a short time, thought it was just water dripping around shower curtain, onto floor, and leaking under the molding.

Nope.

Something was leaking behind the tile wall of the tub faucet or showerhead when turned on. Way too much water seeping onto carpet and under vinyl floor.

Cleared everything out so we could dry the carpet. Guest bedroom and master closet carpet are soaked along the molding . They are on other side of wall from guest tub/shower.

Submitted problem to our builder and to the warranty department and waiting to hear back for follow-up.

So...if you hardly ever use your guest tub/shower in a new home, now would be a good time to turn that water on and test things out!
Old 02-18-2020, 09:09 PM
Default Check your spigot

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyDi View Post
Anyone else have this situation? A few weeks ago I had a wet patch in the center of my master bedroom carpeting. Not even close to the windows or walls. Last night it happened again in a different area. Not a pet stain. No odor, just clean water. I have a frame house (Camelia) with vinyl siding it is about 15 years old. I have gutters around the entire house. Today we had a professional inspection. He tested various areas of the room penetrating the carpet with a special tool. He found evidence of water beyond the normal amount to expect. Apparently concrete always has a slight moisture presence. He inspected the exterior of the house and the windows. Then he pulled back the carpeting and, it appears the water is seeping in from cracks in the concrete. I had planned on replacing the carpeting sometime with wood but now not sure that is a safe choice.

If you have a concrete block house this may help you locate the problem. Check to see if your outdoor spigot is leaking. If so it can fill the cavity in the concrete blocks and infiltrate that way. I had a local lawn guy use my hose and he turned the water off at the nozzle. The pressure built and started a stream of water shooting toward the house where it leaked into the block through a gap next to the spigot. Days went by and the closet floor in our Master Bedroom started bubbling up and water appeared.

It's an easy fix, but you have to locate your leak. It probably from a wall close to the leak.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, carpeting, house, concrete, carpet

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.