Water Service WiFi Shut Off

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2019, 07:12 AM
Default Water Service WiFi Shut Off

Has anyone installed a WiFi controlled water shut off at the entry point of your home.

Looking for recommendations.

Thank you.
Old 07-31-2019, 07:30 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I have one. Dome water valve https://www.amazon.com/Dome-Automati.../dp/B01LX3JFR8.

For this model you need a hub, or brain, here is one that is highly recommend https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Smart.../dp/B07FJGGWJL.

With the hub you can add a door sensor. Here is how I use it: home watch comes in, the water is turned on and I get an email from the hub. Later I shut it off.

I also use a water monitor to check for leaks. Here are two: https://www.amazon.com/Flume-Smart-H.../dp/B07GPXKN8Z. And https://www.amazon.com/StreamLabs-Sm.../dp/B078SDZ3QG.

I have had home watch send me pictures of the exterior indicating they did a check but never entered the home. Once I got a urgent text telling me about a major leak, it turns out my renters washed their car with a running hose, I got rid of the hose and no leak alerts since. It did prove to me that the technology works.

Edit to add, I don't care about car washing, I simply don't want leak alerts.

Last edited by Toymeister; 07-31-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:50 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,741 Times in 1,223 Posts

Cool stuff!
Old 07-31-2019, 11:45 AM
Platinum member

It is vastly cooler having a whole house electricity monitor. With this you know if the major(and smallest) appliances use, if they are operating and when. I have zero surprises if I leave the home for any length of time and I can make intelligent decisions on home improvements. Is an electric attic fan expensive over a solar? I know that level of detail. Will solar pay for itself? Will changing the home temp save much??

Many people who mean well on this board are simply wrong, repeating the same myths

The Sense Home Energy Monitor. Available on Amazon, 299.00
Old 07-31-2019, 12:48 PM
Veteran member

The Phyn Plus is popular, more of a high-end unit. I have not had it installed as of today but will in August. Recommend you have a plumber install.

Whole home smart water leak detection with automatic shutoff | Phyn.com
Old 07-31-2019, 01:05 PM
Platinum member

Phyn and it's cousin Flo both incorporate a shut off valve with water monitoring, which is neat but quite expensive. Neither work for irrigation water. Flume does, if you want to monitor that as well.

I believe Flo (by Moen) requires a 60.00 a year subscription to unlock most of the features.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:14 PM

I did consider the Flo by Moen product until I read the $60 annual subscription fee. Still looking...……..
Old 07-31-2019, 02:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Phyn and it's cousin Flo both incorporate a shut off valve with water monitoring, which is neat but quite expensive. Neither work for irrigation water. Flume does, if you want to monitor that as well.

I believe Flo (by Moen) requires a 60.00 a year subscription to unlock most of the features.
There are definitely less expensive alternatives. I like the Phyn Plus for its ability to detect leaks and automatically shutoff the water. If one is looking for nothing more than remote shutoff, there are many less expensive units.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:17 PM

I have installed 2 Flume units. One for house water and one for irrigation. Bought via Amazon. Other than the initial purchase price no additional fees. These units monitor water flow, but can not shut off the water. Installation is simple - strap the unit around the water meter and plug in the separate WiFi unit you keep inside the house.

They will identify water leaks. You can set several levels of alerts so you will be aware of water usage.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:55 PM
Platinum member

After reading the details on the Phyn I don't recommend it. I have used Stream Lab monitor which, like Phyn, uses ultrasonic technology.

Initially, I had nothing but problems with it. They did do a software push which cleared it up. The ultrasonic sensors were too flukey. I got frequent false reads. Dispute recent performance I don't recommend it

Perhaps Phyn is better, the product is fairly new to the market. I would not be an early adopter unless it came with a generous return policy.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, shut, wifi, home, recommendations

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.