Water/sewer charge question

Closed Thread
Old 05-20-2018, 08:09 AM
Veteran member
Default Water/sewer charge question

Just trying to understand our monthly bill. Last month we were in RI for the whole billing cycle. Our Marion County water/sewer charge was $76.86. Water charge base was $12.75 while water charge use was $7.14. Sewer charge base was $22.53 while sewer charge use was $34.44. Since virtually all water use was for irrigation, I guess I am paying a sewer charge on that. Does that make sense? Thanks in advance for your replies.
Bruce
Old 05-20-2018, 08:14 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Check your actual billing dates. In Sumter mine goes from one month into the next. My last bill was 4/10-5/9. If yours doesn't work that way I'd suggest calling your service provider and get an answer.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip0358 View Post
Check your actual billing dates. In Sumter mine goes from one month into the next. My last bill was 4/10-5/9. If yours doesn't work that way I'd suggest calling your service provider and get an answer.
The service period was 3/14 to 4/12, while we were in RI. I don’t believe we use the retention ponds for watering up here so I guess your sewer charge would be based on your water usage even though the water usage (irrigation) doesn’t have much to do with the sewers. Is it different down south where you have two water lines coming in? I would think that you wouldn’t be charged for sewer for your irrigation. Am I correct in my thinking?
Old 05-20-2018, 09:21 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucernelson View Post
The service period was 3/14 to 4/12, while we were in RI. I don’t believe we use the retention ponds for watering up here so I guess your sewer charge would be based on your water usage even though the water usage (irrigation) doesn’t have much to do with the sewers. Is it different down south where you have two water lines coming in? I would think that you wouldn’t be charged for sewer for your irrigation. Am I correct in my thinking?
South of 466, two meters. No sewer charge on irrigation water usage.
Your best bet to understand you bill is to call the provider...………………..
Old 05-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I agree call your provider if you didn't find these things out before buying like most do.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Sorry..... wrong in your thinking. You only have one source of water coming into your home and it's not a pond. It's all potable. It's metered. Your sewage is not metered. Your sewer bill is based on the amount of water you use. Also there is a monthly base use for water and sewer.

If you were away and irrigated.... you have a sewer bill due.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:08 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
I think I’ve got it now. On the back of the bill it says that sewer usage is based on water consumption and is capped at 6,000 gallons. So I would imagine my bill, especially when we are not here, would be higher being north of 466 as opposed to south of 466.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:14 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWGUY View Post
Sorry..... wrong in your thinking. You only have one source of water coming into your home and it's not a pond. It's all potable. It's metered. Your sewage is not metered. Your sewer bill is based on the amount of water you use. Also there is a monthly base use for water and sewer.

If you were away and irrigated.... you have a sewer bill due.
I agree. In my post I meant that the more southern sections wouldnt be charged for sewer on irrigation because they have two meters. I guess I’m stuck having only one.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:02 AM

Do You turn off your water when You leave for any extended time? If NO, then You could be experiencing the dreaded "mystery flush" !
Old 05-22-2018, 10:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
I think I’ve got it now. On the back of the bill it says that sewer usage is based on water consumption and is capped at 6,000 gallons. So I would imagine my bill, especially when we are not here, would be higher being north of 466 as opposed to south of 466.
Only if you do a lot of irrigation.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:34 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tagjr1 View Post
Do You turn off your water when You leave for any extended time? If NO, then You could be experiencing the dreaded "mystery flush" !
What is a “mystery flush?” Or my being naive and it was meant as a joke?
Old 09-08-2018, 07:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
What is a “mystery flush?” Or my being naive and it was meant as a joke?
A slow leak in your toilet. Every couple of years you will have to replace the flapper as it will eventually leak.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:48 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
I agree. In my post I meant that the more southern sections wouldnt be charged for sewer on irrigation because they have two meters. I guess I’m stuck having only one.
Don't consider it "stuck". Be thankful you don't have the treated wastewater in your lawn. People get bad infections from the crapwater they use at the ballfields.
My usage is 3 times what it was back home and my bill is half.
Old 09-08-2018, 07:52 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm1cc View Post
A slow leak in your toilet. Every couple of years you will have to replace the flapper as it will eventually leak.
Thank you for the clarification.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Don't consider it "stuck". Be thankful you don't have the treated wastewater in your lawn. People get bad infections from the crapwater they use at the ballfields.
My usage is 3 times what it was back home and my bill is half.
What kind of infections? Golfers pick up balls and handle clubs that meet the grass that is watered with the same stuff. We haven't had an infection from golfing. This is the first time I have heard of anyone getting a "bad infection from a ballfield here.

Lawn irrigation water stinks because water in the pipes laying in this heat grows bacteria. Lawn irrigation water south of 466 all comes from the retention ponds which I think is a very good idea.

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-09-2018 at 06:23 AM.
Closed Thread

Tags
charge, water, sewer, water/sewer, base

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.