Water shut off to irrigation

Closed Thread
Old 05-29-2019, 06:38 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default Water shut off to irrigation

Got a call from my neighbor that my lawn was turning brown. My home watch guy went to find out what was going on. I had Mr. Baumgardner inspect the system a month ago, all well. Found out someone had turned off my water? Lucky for good neighbors and my home watch guy!
Old 05-29-2019, 07:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

I would monitor the water usage every month. A neighbor may turn off your irrigation water if there is a broken head, or if the system is operating for an excessive amount of time.
Old 05-30-2019, 06:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would monitor the water usage every month. A neighbor may turn off your irrigation water if there is a broken head, or if the system is operating for an excessive amount of time.
I spoke with the neighbors on both sides. They saw nothing. Very strange, but I'm sure there is an explanation.
Old 06-05-2019, 04:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Being you didn’t mention where or how the water was shutoff? Most houses are plumbed where the irrigation is plumbed after the meter and before the house shutoff so most houses the water should of still ran the irrigation. unless the water was shut off at the meter?
Old 06-05-2019, 07:07 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

I recommend a water monitor, this way you will know within one day if the water has been shut off or if there is a leak. Leak detection takes 15 minutes. I know that today I watered exactly 1008.2 gallons for irrigation, for example.

I think neighbors are irreplaceable and home watch is fantastic. Up to the minute, precise monitoring eliminates the human error element. It is light-years ahead of watching your bill.

If you want details I can provide those. The cost was 185.00. I did the install myself no plumbing, it took about 10 minutes. It is cheaper than a new lawn, that is certain!

Last edited by Toymeister; 06-05-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-06-2019, 06:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
I recommend a water monitor, this way you will know within one day if the water has been shut off or if there is a leak. Leak detection takes 15 minutes. I know that today I watered exactly 1008.2 gallons for irrigation, for example.

I think neighbors are irreplaceable and home watch is fantastic. Up to the minute, precise monitoring eliminates the human error element. It is light-years ahead of watching your bill.

If you want details I can provide those. The cost was 185.00. I did the install myself no plumbing, it took about 10 minutes. It is cheaper than a new lawn, that is certain!
That sounds great. Being away that would be peace of mind.
Old 06-06-2019, 08:18 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I would LOVE the details on that Toymeister
Snow Flake until I retire
Old 06-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,254 Times in 425 Posts

Quote:

You're The Wizard of technology.
Old 06-06-2019, 10:12 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

PM'd you.

Drank the Kool-Aid and now own a home in Tamarind Grove. Yippee!!
Old 06-06-2019, 01:01 PM
Platinum member

In general there are two ways to measure and control water remotely, one way to control it alone and two to measure it.

I have had PMs on the last so that is what I am addressing.
Either you measure it with utrasound technology or at the meter by detection of movement of the magnet in the meter.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:16 PM
Platinum member

Steamlabs uses ultrasound and zip ties on a main pipe. Interior use only. 200.00 on Amazon.

Flume water monitor has been sold by water districts in the arid west to promote conservation. It is also sold directly to consumers. Like Streamlabs it has two parts, a plug in "base" and a battery powered unit that bungee cord straps on the meter in the meter pit by the curb. It doesn't interfere with the meter reads. In fact the meter box isn't opened by the meter readers at all. They use remote sensing technology. Flume is picking up the rotation of the meter as water flows through it. On Amazon for 185.00

Both systems have their advantages. Flume allows you to set a budget and you can see how you are doing against it. Whereas Streamlabs provides a measurement of the gpm, real time. Both provide leak detection. Both work via your home wifi, neither require a subscription.

Last edited by Toymeister; 06-06-2019 at 01:21 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:49 AM
Sage

Quote:
Steamlabs uses ultrasound and zip ties on a main pipe. Interior use only. 200.00 on Amazon.

Flume water monitor has been sold by water districts in the arid west to promote conservation. It is also sold directly to consumers. Like Streamlabs it has two parts, a plug in "base" and a battery powered unit that bungee cord straps on the meter in the meter pit by the curb. It doesn't interfere with the meter reads. In fact the meter box isn't opened by the meter readers at all. They use remote sensing technology. Flume is picking up the rotation of the meter as water flows through it. On Amazon for 185.00

Both systems have their advantages. Flume allows you to set a budget and you can see how you are doing against it. Whereas Streamlabs provides a measurement of the gpm, real time. Both provide leak detection. Both work via your home wifi, neither require a subscription.
Darn wifi is on the seasonal plan. Thank you
Closed Thread

Tags
home, watch, guy, water, ago

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.