Water softener...

Closed Thread
Old 05-14-2019, 08:26 PM
Veteran member
Default Water softener...

We had a softener installed when we first moved to TV. We didn't like the slimy feeling that it left on the skin after showering so we had it removed. I see a new system being marketed by Kiley & Sons, It is the Nuvo softener that doesn't use salt and was told it doesn't leave any film on the body. Anyone have any good or bad reviews on this?
Old 05-14-2019, 08:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill32 View Post
We had a softener installed when we first moved to TV. We didn't like the slimy feeling that it left on the skin after showering so we had it removed. I see a new system being marketed by Kiley & Sons, It is the Nuvo softener that doesn't use salt and was told it doesn't leave any film on the body. Anyone have any good or bad reviews on this?

There is a softener discussion in this thread which started out about water filters: Do water filters help? See photo.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:35 AM

I believe if you do some research you will find that "the slimy feeling" you describe has nothing to do with salt or anything else being left on your skin. That's what your skin feels like when you use soft water, in which case shouldn't matter how a softener works... Look before you jump! Good luck.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:52 AM
Veteran member

Thank you EdFNJ but I was asking about the NUVO system specifically...Two pre filters and then a softener that doesn't use salt or Potassium Chloride.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Water softeners do not leave anything on your skin. Hard water does. If the water is soft you will feel that way regardless of the method used to soften the water.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 AM
Veteran member

After talking to Bob at Nova Filter systems I think this is the one i'll get. Just have to decide if we need the water softener or just filter and charcoal...
Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 AM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,327 Times in 1,442 Posts

We got the Nova filter system with the softener. It made a huge difference in the quality of the water, no calcium buildup around faucets, no iron residue, minimal water spots on glasses, clear ice cubes and you don't need the fridge filter. We use the Potassium pellets. Two years with no problems.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,094 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
We got the Nova filter system with the softener. It made a huge difference in the quality of the water, no calcium buildup around faucets, no iron residue, minimal water spots on glasses, clear ice cubes and you don't need the fridge filter. We use the Potassium pellets. Two years with no problems.

We have the same results with just the Nova water filter no softener. YMMV. Some water may be harder than others depending on where you live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"If one has no sense of humor, one is in trouble."
Betty White (1922-2021) R.I.P.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:14 PM

Does anyone have any experience with a "salt free" softener? They are not supposed to give the slimy feeling.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdFNJ View Post
We have the same results with just the Nova water filter no softener. YMMV. Some water may be harder than others depending on where you live.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone south of 44 has the same water supply so if one has hard water they all have it. Before we put the softener in we had the calcium deposits already building up around our bronze faucets, the filters won't stop that nor will they soften the water. Some may not be bothered by hard water or calcium and iron but some of us are. I guess it's just a personal preference.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:45 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgb10155 View Post
Does anyone have any experience with a "salt free" softener? They are not supposed to give the slimy feeling.
Our Nova system is salt free. We have the whole house filter plus potassium chloride softener. It does not leave a slimy feeling on your skin, which makes my husband very happy. I will say that it doesn't do as good a job at eliminating water spots as the salt systems we've had in the past (25 years' worth of water softeners from two companies). It requires a little looking after, such as drying off the shower door and kitchen sink & faucet to avoid any water spots. But the water tastes great and doesn't add sodium to our diet. We're pleased with the Nova system.
Old 05-15-2019, 07:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,127 Times in 2,240 Posts

OP, sorry to hear you installed and then paid to have your softener removed, you probably could have adjusted the system to alter the amount of hardness. But I tend to agree with several of the above comments, if you never had soft-water it does feel different. We had this for decades back up North, and it was a shock moving here with the relatively hard water. We have a whole house filter and water softener and love both of them.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
OP, sorry to hear you installed and then paid to have your softener removed, you probably could have adjusted the system to alter the amount of hardness. But I tend to agree with several of the above comments, if you never had soft-water it does feel different. We had this for decades back up North, and it was a shock moving here with the relatively hard water. We have a whole house filter and water softener and love both of them.
Actually we didn't have to pay, Had it removed under a satisfaction guarantee. After talking to the Nova guy he said all I needed to do is replace the salt with potassium chloride and the slimy feeling would be eliminated...oh well...After much research I believe the Nova system with softener is the way I'll go...
Old 05-15-2019, 09:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Actually we didn't have to pay, Had it removed under a satisfaction guarantee. After talking to the Nova guy he said all I needed to do is replace the salt with potassium chloride and the slimy feeling would be eliminated...oh well...After much research I believe the Nova system with softener is the way I'll go...
That is the right decision and the price is right.
Old 05-16-2019, 12:51 AM
Sage

The “slimy feel” has nothing to do with the choice of regenerate; sodium chloride vs. potassium chloride. The “slimy feel” is what your skin actually feels like without the hardness that comes from the magnesium and calcium ions in hard water. You are feeling the natural oils on your skin. Water softeners do not add anything to make your skin feel slimy.

Quote:
Closed Thread

Tags
softener, kiley, told, sons, salt

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.