Water Softener

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2012, 09:17 AM
Veteran member
Default Water Softener

I know, it's been beaten to death -- we are getting one and I know the water is safe in TV but we are getting one anyway.

So this is for those who have one. My question is buying one from a Home Depot (like the waterboss) vs going to an actual company that will install and give you life time maintenance.

Two friends; one has a water boss and loves it; cost for unit and install was less than $1,000. The other has a LifeSource or equalivant system (really forget the name). Paid $3,000 for install and life time maintenance.

Maintenance vs non maintenace really isn't an issue because I understand with the water boss, you're adding salt and replacing a filter every 3-4 months at a minimal cost. What I'm concerned about is the quality of any system - will there be problems with a less valued system

Am I better off going with a company that only deals with sofetners. Or should I buy one on line and have it installed professionally?

Comments are appreciated.
Old 03-13-2012, 09:40 AM
Sage

Something to focus on when buying a softener from anywhere/anybody is to make sure it's 'sized' properly for your home and your current water condition (iron, hardness, mineral presence, etc.). Another consideration is how efficient the softener is - how much salt and water are used for each regeneration of the softener - this will be a big consideration for cost-to-own over time.

How many people are in the home (an indication of water usage, generally), how much 'extraordinary' water is normally used (heavy laundry usage, lots of car washing, etc.), and the maximum water flow rate that can occur at any point in time (ex. doing laundry, washing a car, filling the tub all at the same time, potentially?) - those are the things to consider regarding getting a unit that's properly sized. If the softener selected doesn't have the capacity to keep up, it won't be softening properly.

Water quality can be determined by testing an untreated water sample from your home. The softener companies will do that as part of their sales pitch. You can also send a sample out to an independent facility for testing. Plus you can also find DIY test kits at various stores, including the big box stores. Again, ensure the softener specs will adequately address the results noted from the water testing.

Maybe this all seems like over-kill.......but it is the way to make sure that you're buying exactly what you need - and nothing more or nothing less. Don't pay for a softener that far exceeds your needs and likewise, make sure you're buying a system that's not undersized for your situation.

If you're a DIYer, buying a softener and installing it yourself isn't too big a deal. If that's not you and/or you're concerned about long-term maintenance/warranty things and are willing to pay a bit more for the product up-front, then going with one of the commercially available name brand companies might be the way to go. You've got to do what you're most comfortable with.

Bill
Old 03-13-2012, 10:20 AM
Gold member
Default PM

nanci2539

I sent you a PM check it out.

Herv
Old 03-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Gold member
Default Correct

Bill has good advise!

I did all my research from home in New York. As we were leaving some of the nations best frest water supply. I knew Florida was going to be a step down in drinking water smell taste and quality.

I went to Lowes and Home Depot got their test kits. I also went to independant labs. Learned how to test our own water here .

Spent hours on line looking at different companies and the products. Talked to them directly and visited homes with the units working.

Then when I moved into the Villages I tested our own water and had my results. Pool water is 1 our water was 3.5 Chlorine. One shower and my wife said this is going to change NOW! That was just the Chlorine.

The water snake saleman that tried to BS us were out the door. Those that were honest and provided water testing results that matched our own independant samples became a bargining agent that we started to compare and contrast.

Service, Water usage NO SALT systems Cost location apperance. YES apperance as some systems look like a boiler room or a brew house Distillery.

I have been second guessed ridiculed ignored and praised on TOTV .Dosent matter! I now have clean soft water in our home. And those that vist are safe.

In my opinion the only ones that are happy with Village water are those that have skin as thick as a alligator and or have budgets that trip over dollars to save a dime. Water system Heck no! We want new landscape yea! Its all in your personal preferences.

My research on water and health dictated that Health comes first. Florida water is from Aquifers and no publice drinking water system is safe. Yes it meets a standard. So does OSHA regs that have killed workers with exposure and chemicals for years. Chlorine will not save you. Just do your own research.

It all run's down hill into the aquifers! Cattle fields, dripping oil from trucks and cars. Lawn products. Leaking Gasoline Storage tanks. Even that guy stuffing the Dog Poop into the drains.

There I am now down off my Tub!
Old 03-13-2012, 11:14 AM
Sage

We have a Culligan rental water softner. $30 per month, maintenance included. 728-4571.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:40 AM

Carguys....what did you wind up buying? Thanks.
Old 03-13-2012, 11:48 AM
Gold member
Default Reply

Sent you a PM . I have learned from this site not to EVER endorse anyone.

Let intelligent people figure it out with their own research.

Last time I tried that to compliment a contractor a certain poster decieded to start quoting military uniform law which I considerd correct yet still a attempt to bash our brave young service people defending our country.

As a father of four serving that got to me

Lesson learned on that one. BIGTIME!

Herv
Old 03-14-2012, 06:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,665 Times in 594 Posts

Well, I was thinking about a water softener, so I got one of the Water Boss
water test kits, and.. to my amazement, the test came out that the water isn't so hard after all?!!!!!!.. very low in St.James.

So, I'm going to procrastinate a bit.
I did seal the shower grout and sprayed some plexus stuff on the acrylic doors, and I habitually already filter the drinking water and I toss an ounce of white vinegar in the dishwasher which seems to help (and also used gel detergent, not powder).
Old 03-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Default water

it isn't just the taste of the water,
it is what the water is doing to the pipes under the house.
no one wants to have the floors removed it fix pipes,
no basements.
Old 03-14-2012, 07:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarGuys View Post
Bill has good advise!

I did all my research from home in New York. As we were leaving some of the nations best frest water supply. I knew Florida was going to be a step down in drinking water smell taste and quality.

I went to Lowes and Home Depot got their test kits. I also went to independant labs. Learned how to test our own water here .

Spent hours on line looking at different companies and the products. Talked to them directly and visited homes with the units working.

Then when I moved into the Villages I tested our own water and had my results. Pool water is 1 our water was 3.5 Chlorine. One shower and my wife said this is going to change NOW! That was just the Chlorine.

The water snake saleman that tried to BS us were out the door. Those that were honest and provided water testing results that matched our own independant samples became a bargining agent that we started to compare and contrast.

Service, Water usage NO SALT systems Cost location apperance. YES apperance as some systems look like a boiler room or a brew house Distillery.

I have been second guessed ridiculed ignored and praised on TOTV .Dosent matter! I now have clean soft water in our home. And those that vist are safe.

In my opinion the only ones that are happy with Village water are those that have skin as thick as a alligator and or have budgets that trip over dollars to save a dime. Water system Heck no! We want new landscape yea! Its all in your personal preferences.

My research on water and health dictated that Health comes first. Florida water is from Aquifers and no publice drinking water system is safe. Yes it meets a standard. So does OSHA regs that have killed workers with exposure and chemicals for years. Chlorine will not save you. Just do your own research.

It all run's down hill into the aquifers! Cattle fields, dripping oil from trucks and cars. Lawn products. Leaking Gasoline Storage tanks. Even that guy stuffing the Dog Poop into the drains.

There I am now down off my Tub!
So what system did you end up with??
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.