Water softener or water filter system?

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2022, 09:05 AM
Default Water softener or water filter system?

We just bought a home in TV. We have a softener here in Indiana due to very hard water. What would be the best to have? We only want to do one of these options.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MX rider View Post
We just bought a home in TV. We have a softener here in Indiana due to very hard water. What would be the best to have? We only want to do one of these options.
Have you tasted the water to know whether you will need a filter or softener? From what's been posted on TOTV some areas of the villages have decent water coming from the tap.

We added a Nova filter to ours to get rid of the aftertaste. We figured that if that didn't work we could always add a Nova softener and it would still cost less than some of the systems out there.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:18 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,445 Times in 580 Posts

Quote:
We only have a whole house water filter system it removes the chlorine odor which I am sensitive to.
We do not have an issue with hard water
Old 01-10-2022, 09:48 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Nova filter for me for several years. I even have a Nova system in my home in VA. Hate the chlorine smell/taste, all gone. I also use a Purewash system for my washer. It kept clogging up until I added Nova. You should see what the 1st of 3 filters look like when you change filters.

Last edited by Bay Kid; 01-11-2022 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-10-2022, 10:05 AM

We have a softener from Pegasus it does a great job and there are a few of us on the block that have them. I have not had an issue with the flavor of our water but our refrigerator has a filter in it....
Old 01-10-2022, 10:13 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,303 Times in 588 Posts

I have the same question. My wife complains that the water is making it impossible for her to manage her hair. Says she can't style it and it has no body. Do we need a filter or a softener or both or something else? Thanks.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:22 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
"We have a softener here in Indiana due to very hard water." So you are experienced with it. The water in the Villages is listed as good, I checked before moving here. We are ex-New Yorkers and New York has famously GREAT water. Water in the Villages, out of the tap tastes like Florida water. We do not have a filter or a water softener. For drinking and cooking we have a filtered tap on the door of our refrigerator. With QUALITY filters the water tastes fine to me and I am demanding. For laundry, adding BORAX to your wash helps with cleaning your clothes.

My view for all this sort of question, I would wait till you get here to make such decisions. There are many options. As we have chosen to do, the refrigerator filter.
Some people install filters under the kitchen sink. Again quality filters do a better job for taste and the filters need to be regularly changed.

A water softener, first of all needs a place to be-space in your garage and they typically back flush. It needs a place to dump that water.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
I have the same question. My wife complains that the water is making it impossible for her to manage her hair. Says she can't style it and it has no body. Do we need a filter or a softener or both or something else? Thanks.
I can't help it. "My wife complains," it is genetic. No I do not do marriage counseling.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainger99 View Post
She needs a water softener. You may not need it, but you do need her.
Old 01-11-2022, 06:32 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,135 Times in 880 Posts

I agree the softener will help your wife's hair, but the filter will help more IMHO. I just changed some plumbing in my house and the water is very hard here, crazy sediments in traps.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:05 AM
Default Pegasus whole house water system

Quote:
We have been very pleased with our Pegasus water system. The vendor is in the Wildwood mall on 301. Installation was a breeze and the water quality is fantastic! Highly recommend these folks.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:57 AM

There are no federal or state regulations on the amount of chlorine that can be added to a city or county water supply. Hence, many if not all Florida water companies treat tap water with an excessive amount of chlorine to kill everything harmful to humans. In the process the water can taste and smell like an indoor swimming pool. The Nova system will eliminate the chemical taste and smell from the excess chlorine. A simple chlorine test like one used for a swimming pool will reveal the amount chlorine being delivered to your home in your tap water.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:21 AM

Nova Filter.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:41 AM
Sage
Arrow

Read the info on the website

Nova Filters | The Villages Fl

Whole House Water Filter Customer Interview - YouTube
Old 01-11-2022, 09:14 AM

Quote:
You need both. The water softener protects your dishwasher, washing machine and toilets. A carbon inline filter provides safe drinking water. A Big Blue Carbon filter is not expensive to put in the water line before the water hits the water softener. Maybe an extra $200. Well worth the money in my opinion.
Closed Thread

Tags
water, softener, due, hard, indiana

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.