Water Usage Now a Secret

Closed Thread
Old 06-24-2022, 08:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,308 Times in 2,027 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldragbagger View Post
They still have the ability to look at my bill and this just seems wrong. My personal finances, or anything else about my life, is my own business and mine only unless I choose to disclose it. Back in the pre-electronic everything days this would be the equivalent of someone intercepting and opening my mail. Would that seem okay to you? And also, being listed in the Villlages phone book, or not, is a choice. As of now we aren’t.
Back in the pre-electronic days you would not have been able to see and respond to my reply to SeaCros - should I be upset that you did?

If your water bill reveals anything at all about your personal finances then you have bigger problems than whether I can see it or not.

Is it nice to be able to compare my irrigation usage to that of my neighbors to determine if I am using too much water? Yes. Is it necessary that I be able to do that? No. Do I care if others can see how much water I use? No. Is there any personally identifiable information on my water bill? Absolutely not.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-24-2022, 08:47 AM
Platinum member
Location: born Urbana,Il lived in Urbana Ohio for 65 years a house in Lake Deaton

I really appreciate all of the comments on this posting as I am on the NSCUDD board. While district staff did present this new change for utility billing to the board, the focus was on possible saving if and when enough customers would discontinue the use of having paper statements sent to them. This new firm is supposed to actively promote this switch to using only online statements as this new firm is costing us a little bit more than the previous billing firm. The board was never shown nor discussed the new access method other than staff saying online billing statements would look very similar to what was shown on the old system.

While local boards with local control sound good and are promoted, it’s not always a panacea to produce and monitor public programs. Now, if I can just find my account number to access my statement.
Old 06-24-2022, 09:56 AM

We have actually spoken to our neighbors who also shared their billing with us.
Old 06-25-2022, 11:04 AM
Veteran member
Default Still can't see my bill

It's now been a full day since I received notice of my bill under the new system. Every attempt to actually look at the bill tells me to "try again later". Not a fan so far!

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoplanekid View Post
I really appreciate all of the comments on this posting as I am on the NSCUDD board. While district staff did present this new change for utility billing to the board, the focus was on possible saving if and when enough customers would discontinue the use of having paper statements sent to them. This new firm is supposed to actively promote this switch to using only online statements as this new firm is costing us a little bit more than the previous billing firm. The board was never shown nor discussed the new access method other than staff saying online billing statements would look very similar to what was shown on the old system.

While local boards with local control sound good and are promoted, it’s not always a panacea to produce and monitor public programs. Now, if I can just find my account number to access my statement.
Old 06-25-2022, 03:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicTrucker View Post
I’m newly full time, but have been using Massey for over a year. I’m in control of the sprinkler system and I’ve set it to their recommendation.
I'm a fairly new owner. I just went into the settings and set it to run 1/3rd of the time that they had it set at initially and my lawn looks just the same as all of my neighbors.
Old 06-25-2022, 05:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,377 Times in 3,052 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
Back in the pre-electronic days you would not have been able to see and respond to my reply to SeaCros - should I be upset that you did?

If your water bill reveals anything at all about your personal finances then you have bigger problems than whether I can see it or not.

Is it nice to be able to compare my irrigation usage to that of my neighbors to determine if I am using too much water? Yes. Is it necessary that I be able to do that? No. Do I care if others can see how much water I use? No. Is there any personally identifiable information on my water bill? Absolutely not.
People who want to know the vacation patterns of potential home burglary victims would LOVE to know your water usage habits.

If they see you don't use much water (other than sprinklers) during the months of June and July, they'll have a nice addition to next year's list of easy pickin's.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:08 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
People who want to know the vacation patterns of potential home burglary victims would LOVE to know your water usage habits.

If they see you don't use much water (other than sprinklers) during the months of June and July, they'll have a nice addition to next year's list of easy pickin's.
Theoritically yes, but realistically how many villages homes have anything worth breaking into for? My most expensive items in my house is probably the appliances. No burglar is going to be stealing your fridge or stove. I've yet to visit a fellow Villagers home where they have anything worth stealing to be honest to make a "Big score". Would be easier to steal golf carts at a rec center for thieves I would guess.
Closed Thread

Tags
usage, address, water, feature, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.