Water Usage Now a Secret

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2022, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Actually I don’t think any personnel information should be public. That how sleazbags use information to steal. I don’t even think should be able to look up address and see who live there. IMO invasion of privacy. Now want talk about health records where I have to pay for my own records. But, any office worker or insurance has full access.
Isn't that amazing. I pay for the MRI or PTSCAN and do not have access to the reults. I have to ask my doctor to get them. Seems wrong.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:34 AM

This is off the subject, kind of, but my last water bill said I used 17,500 gallons of water last month, and over 18,000 gallons the month before. I just bought the house, and it is unoccupied. I have the water shut off, both for the irrigation and the potable water. I called the Villages office which handles water bills, and after a long wait on hold, a lady finally came on the phone. I guess she was having a bad day because she was quite snarky and rude. At any rate, she told me I probably had a leaky toilet. I am at home up north in Illinois during the summer months, but I did have a man who could go inside the house and check the toilets and the sprinkler system. He found no leaks in the toilets, and the sprinkler system was indeed shut off. While she was on the phone, I asked the lady if there was a discounted amenity fee rate for snowbirds such as myself. I had no hopes that there actually would be one, but I was surprised at her rude response. Anyway, more than 35,000 gallons of water usage in two months sounds over the top. So, does anyone have any constructive words of advice for me? She did promise to have someone stop by and check that the meter was okay, but it does not seem that happened. (By the way, I have noticed that sometimes the comments here on Talk of the Villages are rather supercilious. I would ask that such responders sit on their hands and let others give me advice. Thanks.)
Old 06-23-2022, 08:37 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,965 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyseguy View Post
Isn't that amazing. I pay for the MRI or PTSCAN and do not have access to the reults. I have to ask my doctor to get them. Seems wrong.
Not true you can obtain dvd of scan and written report. All you need to do is ask
Old 06-23-2022, 08:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,965 Times in 754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
as long as i have lived in the villages, you could go to the "districtgov.org" website and click on "utility bill inquiry" and view the water usage data for any address in the villages. It was public information. You did this by doing an address search. That feature has recently been eliminated. Now, you need to enter the account number and last name of the person who lives at the address. Personally, i don't care who knows how much water i use, but i like to compare my usage to other properties in the neighborhood. To me, it is not a privacy issue. It was a useful feature, but now it is gone.
myob!
Old 06-23-2022, 08:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I don't know if it would be worth it, but you can apply for a one time reduction on your water bill for a leak. Also, if you live south of Rt 466, your bill should provide separate usage information for potable and irrigation water. If the water valves are shut off, then any leak would most likely be outside the house. Another possibility is that the valve is leaking as well as a toilet. Toilet leaks are sometimes difficult to detect because they can be intermittent.
Old 06-23-2022, 08:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
This is off the subject, kind of, but my last water bill said I used 17,500 gallons of water last month, and over 18,000 gallons the month before. I just bought the house, and it is unoccupied. I have the water shut off, both for the irrigation and the potable water. I called the Villages office which handles water bills, and after a long wait on hold, a lady finally came on the phone. I guess she was having a bad day because she was quite snarky and rude. At any rate, she told me I probably had a leaky toilet. I am at home up north in Illinois during the summer months, but I did have a man who could go inside the house and check the toilets and the sprinkler system. He found no leaks in the toilets, and the sprinkler system was indeed shut off. While she was on the phone, I asked the lady if there was a discounted amenity fee rate for snowbirds such as myself. I had no hopes that there actually would be one, but I was surprised at her rude response. Anyway, more than 35,000 gallons of water usage in two months sounds over the top. So, does anyone have any constructive words of advice for me? She did promise to have someone stop by and check that the meter was okay, but it does not seem that happened. (By the way, I have noticed that sometimes the comments here on Talk of the Villages are rather supercilious. I would ask that such responders sit on their hands and let others give me advice. Thanks.)
A leaking toilet while I was up north was about 28,000 gals one month. After that I had the water turned off inside my house when I wasn't there.

There have been a couple threads in the last year concerning bad water meters. Try searching for those to find how those issues were identified and resolved.

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 06-23-2022, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
IF, and that is a big IF, everything is really turned off, I would propose the most likely scenario is that you have a leak somewhere (usually underground) after the meter. Do you know anyone in the neighborhood that could go look and listen?
Old 06-23-2022, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
Not true you can obtain dvd of scan and written report. All you need to do is ask
I have asked and was told that I had to get it from my doctor as they ordered the test. Fl Cancer will release my blood work, but Sarasota Memorial and Doctors Hospital will not release scan results directly to me. I want to clarify that I am not asking for the report before my doctor, but am asking for the report so I can file it with all of the treatments and surgeries for documentation.
In NY I had a similar issue with Sloan, though Hackensack Hospital and Valley did release them. Perhaps the question is who owns the report? Would it be the doctor who ordered it, the facility that did it, or the patient?
Old 06-23-2022, 09:30 AM
Platinum member
Exclamation

[QUOTE=rhood;2109129]I think the old page (data) is still there. I was able to access it using the last bill link they sent me. I took screen shots so I have all my neighbors account numbers. I also check vacant homes of snowbird neighbors each month when they are gone for abnormal use.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was good info if you were helping friends keep an eye on water usage while they were away... It would be so easy for someone to hook a hose up to a snowbirder's house and fill their pool or hottub...
Old 06-23-2022, 09:35 AM
Platinum member
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill14564 View Post
A leaking toilet while I was up north was about 28,000 gals one month. After that I had the water turned off inside my house when I wasn't there.

There have been a couple threads in the last year concerning bad water meters. Try searching for those to find how those issues were identified and resolved.
My meter was read (so they said). I couldn't get the numbers to come on. I called and they informed me how to see the numbers. Nothing worked so next day my meter was changed and the bill was adjusted. Soooo, it happens...

Old 06-23-2022, 09:40 AM
Platinum member
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keefelane66 View Post
They actually did an MRI on your water meter to look for leaks...
Old 06-23-2022, 10:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,708 Times in 5,240 Posts

I appreciate all of the opinions. The website, "districtgov.org", is a public website that offers public information. You don't even need to be a Villager to access it. People can disagree about what information should or shouldn't be included on the site. But, I don't think it is appropriate to criticize someone who is just viewing and commenting on the public information that is available.
Old 06-23-2022, 10:37 AM
Veteran member

[QUOTE=DaleDivine;2109371]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhood View Post
I think the old page (data) is still there. I was able to access it using the last bill link they sent me. I took screen shots so I have all my neighbors account numbers. I also check vacant homes of snowbird neighbors each month when they are gone for abnormal use.[/QUOTE]

Well, it was good info if you were helping friends keep an eye on water usage while they were away... It would be so easy for someone to hook a hose up to a snowbirder's house and fill their pool or hottub...
I have their account numbers, so I will still be able to check empty houses for abnormal use.
Old 06-23-2022, 11:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,276 Times in 4,296 Posts

Furiously Googling the definition of "supercilious"...

It's possible that construction crews were using your water before to took possession of the home.

That happened to us with a new home some 30 years ago.

The builder had "inadvertently" put our registered meter on the home being built next door and theirs on ours. The construction crews were using water at the construction site to water lawns, wash out cement mixers, hose down the street, etc, etc, etc...

When we moved in, our first bill was astronomical, since you're typically billed on past usage! It took several phone calls to straighten everything out and have our bill adjusted...

-Tom Petty
Old 06-23-2022, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Butler View Post
Keeping in mind, that many people here are from European countries, that may have violated GDPR (General Data Protection Regulation).
But we’re not in Europe, are we…
Closed Thread

Tags
usage, address, water, feature, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.