Water Volleyball

Closed Thread
Old 07-01-2019, 07:42 AM
Default Water Volleyball

I would like to play water volleyball, but I can't figure out how to start. I went to open play and the man I talked to said that it was a closed group. Is there a rec center that will accept new players? If so, what day and time? I will appreciate any help that anyone has to offer.
Old 07-01-2019, 08:29 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,634 Times in 928 Posts

Look for beginner level in the rec news.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:08 AM

Step one: attend WVB 101 held twice a month (listed in Rec News)

Step two: look in the Rec News for _organized_ basic WVB. Organized WVB has someone in charge to run it smoothly.

If you're reading this today (Monday) come on out to Seabreeze organized basic evening play from 6 to 8 with some great people.
Old 07-01-2019, 09:56 AM
Default WVb

Wvb clinic meets first and 3rd Wednesdays at SeaBreeze at 1-3. Call SB ahead of time to sign up. After beginning class instructors should recommend next level/pools to go to
Old 07-01-2019, 10:04 AM

In WVB Open Play does not mean anyone can just show up and play. Open Play means there is a group and people have signed up to play with that group ahead of time, usually via email. Organized means anyone can show up and sometimes a Rec Employee will give out numbers to limit the number of players to the max allowed in the pool (typically 84- and there are rarely that many people showing up in the summer). There are different levels of play in WVB. You start out at Basic level and then as you get more proficient you may want to move up to Intermediate, and possible to Advanced and Advanced Intermediate. The latter two categories are mostly men and are very good players. I also beleive for those two categories (Advanced and Adv Intermediate) there is an evaluation system before you can join.

For Basic you can either sign up for WVB 101 or just show up anytime WVB Organized Basic is listed in the Rec news.
Old 07-06-2019, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIgolfers View Post
In WVB Open Play does not mean anyone can just show up and play. Open Play means there is a group and people have signed up to play with that group ahead of time, usually via email. Organized means anyone can show up and sometimes a Rec Employee will give out numbers to limit the number of players to the max allowed in the pool (typically 84- and there are rarely that many people showing up in the summer). There are different levels of play in WVB. You start out at Basic level and then as you get more proficient you may want to move up to Intermediate, and possible to Advanced and Advanced Intermediate. The latter two categories are mostly men and are very good players. I also beleive for those two categories (Advanced and Adv Intermediate) there is an evaluation system before you can join.

For Basic you can either sign up for WVB 101 or just show up anytime WVB Organized Basic is listed in the Rec news.
Thanks Higolfer for the info. I know you are just the messenger, but seems backwards. I am sure its not, but Open sounds Organized and Organized sounds Open. Just my opinion.
Old 07-06-2019, 06:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzyjourneyfan View Post
I would like to play water volleyball, but I can't figure out how to start. I went to open play and the man I talked to said that it was a closed group. Is there a rec center that will accept new players? If so, what day and time? I will appreciate any help that anyone has to offer.
Or you could contact....

Recreation Administration
984 Old Mill Run
The Villages, FL 32162

Phone: 352-674-1800
Fax: 352-674-1805
Email Recreation
Old 07-07-2019, 02:17 PM

Of all the sports activities in The Villages water volleyball is easily the most confusing to figure out. Furthermore, if you've played any amount of competitive volleyball in the past and are looking for competitive play you'll find the basic and intermediate play here a bit frustrating.

thomp679 is correct, the "organized basic or intermediate" is what you'll want to look for. Get there 10-15 minutes early and hopefully the folks will help you get oriented. It's a bit of a production but the process works after you see it in operation a few times. Some of the pools require 3-hits each time the ball clears the net and some are more traditional volleyball rules where you can return any hit over the net (they call it jungle ball). 90% of all hits would be carries of some form in traditional volleyball and understanding what actually constitutes a carry is an art in The Villages.

If you are good enough to play advanced intermediate or advanced you'll need to go through tryouts with that group specifically (contact names are in the Recreation News). If you make it through tryouts you'll be on a probationary period and assuming you make it through that then you'll be a member of that group. That group plays almost every day and you'll need to sign up in advance for any given day you want to play so they can organize the number of courts, teams, etc.

You'll find this to be a great way to get some exercise but you'll definitely need to find the level, style and pool where you feel the most comfortable.
Old 07-07-2019, 02:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomp679 View Post
...Open sounds Organized and Organized sounds Open. Just my opinion.
An opinion I share.

Open is open to anyone in racquetball and billiards and probably others.
Old 07-07-2019, 05:37 PM

thomp679- You are absolutely correct- it is backwards and creates confusion for newbies. But change comes slowly in TV!!
Old 07-07-2019, 08:25 PM

go to Eisenhower rec center they have basic and are all very nice people I play there when i am home. they meet on mondays i think and fridays check the rec news i think it is at 10 but again not positive. they are all very welcoming and will help you some of the other places like the seabreeze really do not want outsiders and are very vocal about it. also rohan has basic and are also very nice. good luck and i will see you in november
Closed Thread

Tags
water, play, volleyball, players, accept

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.