Waterfront Inn 2 nights, what's a must see.

Closed Thread
Old 04-15-2018, 06:53 PM
Default Waterfront Inn 2 nights, what's a must see.

Hello I will be in Florida this week and managed to set up a side trip to check out The Villages. Staying at the Waterfront Inn Tues and Wed. What are the must see things. I am doing some advanced scouting on my retirement dream. Anything going on....lol
Old 04-15-2018, 06:58 PM
fw102807

The trolley ride from the sales center is very informative
Old 04-15-2018, 07:54 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts
Default Sumter Landing

Quote:
Originally Posted by fw102807 View Post
The trolley ride from the sales center is very informative
The trolley ride doesn’t cost anything and a good idea. Hang around Sumter Landing and talk to some of the residents. You can learn a lot about TV by chatting with people on the Squares. Definitely read the Daily Sun and take a drive. For 5.00 get yourself a map of TV and make your way down to Brownwood and Spanish Springs too. Enjoy!
Old 04-15-2018, 10:23 PM

I suggest, rent a golf cart, and go on a long scenic cruise, late in the afternoon, soak it all in......That, should be the closer, done deal...
Old 04-16-2018, 07:11 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck1674 View Post
Hello I will be in Florida this week and managed to set up a side trip to check out The Villages. Staying at the Waterfront Inn Tues and Wed. What are the must see things. I am doing some advanced scouting on my retirement dream. Anything going on....lol
You are in for a treat. Tuesday night, go to the Lake Sumter Landing square - a couple blocks from your hotel and see Scooter the DJ. Grab a seat and watch the zaniness and fun. Good time to talk to lots of folks. Entertainment 5 to 9 p.m.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

Quote:
Check out TheVillages.com and go to the recreation section and see what clubs are meeting on those days. Find some that interest you and attend. Then go to the squares at night if you like music or dancing.

There's a DJ in LSL that night so if you're interested in live music stay away.

I found the trolley tour and boat ride to be a waste of time.

If you play golf, you can call the golf office and set up a tee time.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 04-16-2018, 08:03 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,093 Times in 1,328 Posts

You will be overwhelmed by TV. It will take years to learn this great place. Enjoy the beauty.
Old 04-16-2018, 09:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by justjim View Post
The trolley ride doesn’t cost anything and a good idea. Hang around Sumter Landing and talk to some of the residents. You can learn a lot about TV by chatting with people on the Squares. Definitely read the Daily Sun and take a drive. For 5.00 get yourself a map of TV and make your way down to Brownwood and Spanish Springs too. Enjoy!
If you are shy here is a feel good trick/tip that works every time. Buy the map at the real estate office, stand in a square, hold it in the air like you are looking for someplace and within 30 seconds a villager will approach you and offer to help. When I first came down I never did that on purpose to meet someone but realized that's what happened every time.
The trolly/bus ride seeing the north end, if it still runs, is a great way to learn. The same with the south end. I'm not sure a golf cart is a must or playing golf. A golfer can just look at a course and know quality. Take lots of pictures and videos.

Last edited by tomwed; 04-16-2018 at 10:17 AM.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Village Community Development Districts
Golf The Villages
The Villages - Florida's Friendliest Active Adult 55+ Retirement Community
The Sharon | The Villages Sharon L. Morse - Performing Arts Center - Tickets and Upcoming Performances
thevillagesdailysun.com | Trusted Villages news, weather, events, and more.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Sage

I agree with taking the trolley tour. It leaves from the sales office at lake sumter landing. Also nearby the sales office is a nice restaurant on the lake called the Lighthouse. I like the fish dinner. If it is a nice day sit out and enjoy the view over the lake. If you do rent a golf cart do yourself a favor and go to the apps section on your phone and buy the Villages Golf Cart GPS. It is cheap. It will really help you if you go exploring in the Villages. The bar at Mallory Country club is a lively place if you are looking to eat at a country club. The views from the patio are nice. City Fire in Sumter Landing is within walking distance of your hotel and is a lively place. I also enjoy eating outside at Johnny Rockets in Sumter Landing. I love their chocolate malts which they will split for you if you have a companion. You can actually eat outside at Johnny Rockets and listen to the band. If you are even vaguely thinking about buying a home here anytime in the future stop by the sales office and get an information packet. Not sure what they do now but they used to have a packet with a DVD to watch (it may be all on line now). The packet gives you info on home models and other info about living here.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnieman View Post
I agree with taking the trolley tour. It leaves from the sales office at lake sumter landing. Also nearby the sales office is a nice restaurant on the lake called the Lighthouse. I like the fish dinner. If it is a nice day sit out and enjoy the view over the lake. If you do rent a golf cart do yourself a favor and go to the apps section on your phone and buy the Villages Golf Cart GPS. It is cheap. It will really help you if you go exploring in the Villages. The bar at Mallory Country club is a lively place if you are looking to eat at a country club. The views from the patio are nice. City Fire in Sumter Landing is within walking distance of your hotel and is a lively place. I also enjoy eating outside at Johnny Rockets in Sumter Landing. I love their chocolate malts which they will split for you if you have a companion. You can actually eat outside at Johnny Rockets and listen to the band. If you are even vaguely thinking about buying a home here anytime in the future stop by the sales office and get an information packet. Not sure what they do now but they used to have a packet with a DVD to watch (it may be all on line now). The packet gives you info on home models and other info about living here.
great advice---added to everyone else's great advice.
Old 04-16-2018, 01:19 PM
Gold member

Do this first.

Purchase $8 ?? and download the Villages GPS navigation AP. You will be able to find your own way by car or golf cart. I recommend renting a cart.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:44 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagerjack View Post
Do this first.

Purchase $8 ?? and download the Villages GPS navigation AP. You will be able to find your own way by car or golf cart. I recommend renting a cart.
Better yet. Just put Google maps on bicycle mode for free. The Villages GPS was built for cavemen...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2018, 10:27 PM
Gold member

Eaton's Beach and Gator Joe's on Lake Weir, preferably by boat

Tags
waterfront, inn, things, tues, scouting

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.