Watering Lawns

Closed Thread
Old 09-25-2020, 12:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
You may like statistics, but I love technology. I have a Flume water monitor on my meter. Minute by minute, I can tell you my water usage. I know that my biggest zone uses just over 11 gallons a minute, my smallest uses 6. With 5 zones, 20 minutes a zone, it comes out to right around 1583 gallons per watering cycle. I have a CYV. I only run it once a week. That's 6600/month. I installed a hunter wifi controller that won't water if it's going to rain or be cold, so it averages a less than that as usually one of the cycles will get cancelled.

I also know that when a contractor parked his truck off the street and broke a head off completely, I never knew about it and the massive water bill was a bit of a shocker. I moved that head, but the Flume would have let me know anyway.
Have you heard the saying that you know that you have given great advice when someone gives it back to you? I have had Flume for years, two units, and one stream labs (for hot h2o). Back when I first posted about Flume people on this forum were amazed, glad to see the product is gaining wider acceptance.
Old 09-25-2020, 12:52 PM
Default Water Wisdom information

CDD Home Address Watering Days Watering Hours

1 Even Addresses
(ending in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8) TUE/ FRI 12 am -10 am & 4 pm -12 am
Odd Addresses
(ending in 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) MON/ THU 12 am -10 am & 4 pm -12 am

2 Even Addresses
(ending in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8) TUE/ FRI 12 am -10 am & 4 pm -12 am
Odd Addresses
(ending in 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) MON/ THU 12 am -10 am & 4 pm -12 am

3 Even Addresses
(ending in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8) TUE/ SAT 12 am -10 am & 4 pm -12 am
Odd Addresses
(ending in 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) WED/ SUN 12 am -10 am & 4 pm -12 am

4 Even Addresses
(ending in 0, 2, 4, 6, 8) THU/ SUN 12 am -10 am & 4 pm -12 am
Odd Addresses
(ending in 1, 3, 5, 7, 9) WED/ SAT 12 am -10 am & 4 pm -12 am

5-13 If you live in districts 5 thru 13, this document tells you when to water:
http://www.thevillageswaterwisdom.co...trict-5-13.pdf
WHEN you water is based on YOUR LOT #, so your water times will be different from your neighbors.
Old 09-25-2020, 05:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

I love statistics. Very helpful thing to do for investments. I looked to water usage to determine occupancy rates for those who rented out their homes. I tried to replicate those who claimed they "always" had their home rented it turns out such claims were a stretch of the truth. I used owner occupied homes as a baseline for water usage.

The most interesting thing I researched in TV was how many paid off the bond and what sort of home they had.

Did you do statistics on how much run off goes down the storm drain?
Old 09-25-2020, 06:41 PM

I think you’re best advice will come from a landscape professional or sod company. After reading some of the answers here, I believe you should listen to an expert before you waste too much water or just as bad, to wait until the lawn is stressed, and try to nurse it to recover. A lot depends on your grass type, the frequency of mowings and other variables such as direct sun, part or full shade, etc. I think you get the picture, talk to several professionals and you will know what to do to have a great looking lawn. Good luck.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:35 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
Did you do statistics on how much run off goes down the storm drain?
Well considering that I have a controller that looks at weather predictions, what has occured what the temp was, humidity was, added to the soil type, type of lawn (shrubs or grass) to determine the evaporation rate I am in pretty good shape. The controller can even water some now, some in a few hours to avoid run off. I certainly do not blindly follow some webpage from the source that profits by promoting consumption of water.

The purpose of looking at water consumption by me was not even irrigation usage, as I have said I wanted potable water data. Irrigation usage was just another column.

I can tell you this, without a doubt, everyone thinks they are an expert. It is unfortunate that when new ideas are posted here they are often ridiculed, it is sad.
Old 09-25-2020, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wisbad1 View Post
Use a hose and sprinkler, lot cheaper
I work, no time for that and I don’t find the amount I pay a lot. And it gets water better that is why we have sprinkler system.
Old 09-26-2020, 02:14 AM

I think you’re best advice will come from a landscape professional or sod company. After reading some of the answers here, I believe you should listen to an expert before you waste too much water or just as bad, to wait until the lawn is stressed, and try to nurse it to recover. A lot depends on your grass type, the frequency of mowings and other variables such as direct sun, part or full shade, etc. I think you get the picture, talk to several professionals and you will know what to do to have a great looking lawn. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2020, 04:31 AM

When we moved into our pre-owned home 5 months ago the prior owner settings on the Hunter unit was generating 30,000 gallons a month for well established landscaping.

Superior established - set - and controlled the Hunter unit (with owners consent) remotely.

If u have a full contract with superior then u have irrigation assistance at no additional charge. If the technician comes to ur home for service - $75 an hour plus parts.

The house is 12 years old and sits on a half acre lot - regardless...7,500 gallons a week was absolute insanity.

Disagree if u want but Superior is inferior - based on my experience.

This is my first irrigation system. I spent the last 5 months learning the system - tracking zone paths - adding new zones - uncovering long since grown over and buried heads - replacing heads and mastering the Hunter software program.

I use programs that run the system automatically. But I real time monitor usage almost every day (a stroll around the yard) checking leaf curl, wilting and browning. Then adjust accordingly.

I’m now down to 18,000 a month - much of which is attributed to new plantings.

It can be a lot of work to fine tune an established 12 year old irrigation system - or a lot of money paid out to others.

I chose the work path cause I have buy-in to a long term benefit. To many service folks it’s just an hourly buy-in that they want to extend for as long as possible.
Old 09-28-2020, 07:41 PM
Default Lawn watering

You want to put about a inch a week as far as runtimes there is a lot of difference depending on the head you have in you yard. If you are south of the turnpike MP rotators are used they have a precipitation rate of 0.4 in/hour which means it will need to run 2.5 hours. 150 minutes divided by the number of days you want to water will give you the run time per day. Spray heads have a a lot higher precipitation rate and will only need to run for 12-15 minutes.
Closed Thread

Tags
watering, restrict, days, suppose, long

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.