Watering? Why??

Closed Thread
Old 03-12-2010, 06:36 PM
Bosoxfan
Default Watering? Why??

I was out and about on my golf cart earlier and found it interesting that sprinkler systems were running all over the villages.None at any homes but everywhere else.The golf courses I went by ..Mallory..Palmer...Glenview .were all being irrigated.Alot of the common grass areas and bushes were also being sprinkled.I was wondering if anyone knew why.My thought was maybe the ponds were so full they were trying to spread the water around.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM
Default Watering Question

You are correct.

The sprinklers may come on after big rains on the golf courses and easements in order to maintain the water levels in the ponds.

(This sprinkler water is not the same as the fresh water for our household water supply.)
Old 03-12-2010, 07:33 PM
Sage
Location: grew up in NYC and lived my adult life in Northern NJ; and now a resident of TV in Bonita
Send a message via AIM to RichieLion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pqrstar View Post
You are correct.

The sprinklers may come on after big rains on the golf courses and easements in order to maintain the water levels in the ponds.

(This sprinkler water is not the same as the fresh water for our household water supply.)
I know that's why they do it because all the ponds are overfilled and flooding the courses a bit, but it's too bad there wasn't some way to conserve some of that precious water for when we hit the inevitable dry period just around the corner and we're crying for rain.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

sounds like a good question for Janet Tutt....gn
Old 03-13-2010, 10:07 AM
Gold member

To conserve the water that comes from an unusually heavy amount of rain would require more retention ponds to be built. That may seem like a good thing until you realize that during normal rainfall these ponds would be dry or worse yet, just mosquito breading marshes. By distributing this water around the golf courses we are effectively mimicking nature by allowing the rainfall to seep back into the aquifers for potable water use - so it's really not being wasted, rather recycled for its primary function.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:51 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJblue View Post
To conserve the water that comes from an unusually heavy amount of rain would require more retention ponds to be built. That may seem like a good thing until you realize that during normal rainfall these ponds would be dry or worse yet, just mosquito breading marshes. By distributing this water around the golf courses we are effectively mimicking nature by allowing the rainfall to seep back into the aquifers for potable water use - so it's really not being wasted, rather recycled for its primary function.
Now that makes sense. Never thought of it that way. It's a simple way to retain the water and put it back in natures big loop.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.