A way to help out if you have sewing machine

Closed Thread
Old 03-22-2020, 10:40 AM
Default A way to help out if you have sewing machine

With supplies unable to keep up with demand, if you have a sewing machine, here is a way you can assist those trying to provide medical care to those in need.

Is it PERFECT, not at all...but it does allow them to extend the life on some of those resources in time of need.

Tutorial: How to Sew a Face Mask for Hospitals | Coronavirus COV19 - YouTube
Old 03-22-2020, 12:07 PM

Where would one take these. I understand the hospital is not accepting them at this time
Old 03-22-2020, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md girl View Post
Where would one take these. I understand the hospital is not accepting them at this time
They might not be in need in our area at the moment, but when they are, they will be welcomed at any facility they are trying to help stop the spread, to include nursing homes, or even friends and neighbors in need. Here is an article showing how quickly that "not accepting them now" might change. I am making them and once I get about 100 made, will google who is in need of homemade face masks and try and get them there. Thanks for being willing to help!

Coronavirus In Colorado: ER Doctor Says Hospital Supplies Being Rationed, ‘We Are Not Prepared’ – CBS Denver
Old 03-22-2020, 01:20 PM

What a joke. They might be useful only for those who have Covid 19 in containing the spread of their contamination.
My daughter is an ER nurse in this area and these would be of absolutely no value in protecting her from Coronavirus. Might as well just wear a bandana as CDC is advising in worst case scenario. Let's spend our time, hounding the government, instead of making fake masks, until they finally come up with the needs that our medical personnel really must have.
Old 03-22-2020, 02:29 PM

A Joke? This article is 24 hours old...you might be in denial about the needs, but when you got NOTHING you do what you can. Care to revisit this conversation to see how things are for those that think these are of "no value" today?

WBRZ, area businesses accepting homemade masks starting Monday for BR General
Old 03-22-2020, 03:48 PM

NO, I am not in denial of needs. PLEASE READ WHAT I SAID:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
What a joke. They might be useful only for those who have Covid 19 in containing the spread of their contamination.
My daughter is an ER nurse in this area and these would be of absolutely no value in protecting her from Coronavirus. Might as well just wear a bandana as CDC is advising in worst case scenario. Let's spend our time, hounding the government, instead of making fake masks, until they finally come up with the needs that our medical personnel really must have.
Please read your referenced article carefully. Your article is stating the masks might be good for Patients. I agree-
They would not be sufficient for hospital personnel use.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

The homemade mask is of no use to staff.

There is a small backup supply for emergency surgery.

Some employees are refusing to work, putting pressure on those who are dedicated, or just can’t so NO
Old 03-22-2020, 04:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,472 Times in 3,096 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
They might not be in need in our area at the moment, but when they are, they will be welcomed at any facility they are trying to help stop the spread, to include nursing homes, or even friends and neighbors in need. Here is an article showing how quickly that "not accepting them now" might change. I am making them and once I get about 100 made, will google who is in need of homemade face masks and try and get them there. Thanks for being willing to help!

Coronavirus In Colorado: ER Doctor Says Hospital Supplies Being Rationed, ‘We Are Not Prepared’ – CBS Denver
How do they know that the people handling the cloth to make the masks aren't sick? I would definitely not want to use a home-made mask, made by a complete stranger, unless that mask came with a doctor's certification that the person making it was in good health and had already tested negative at the time they made the mask.
Old 03-22-2020, 04:19 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,417 Times in 2,267 Posts

My wife is having to take her own N95's to work. Her hospital only has enough to give them to nurses who work full time with Covid patients. My wife only enters Covid rooms as needed.

A local insulation company stepped up and donated a couple thousand masks last week. Not sure what the hospital would have done if that didn't happen. Target received a shipment and actually put them on store shelves for sale. The state stepped in and "commandeered" them..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 03-22-2020, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
NO, I am not in denial of needs. PLEASE READ WHAT I SAID:
Please read your referenced article carefully. Your article is stating the masks might be good for Patients. I agree-
They would not be sufficient for hospital personnel use.
I'm sorry, but I feel ANYTHING that minimizes the exposure to those working hard helps the staff. You say tomato and I say tomoto
Old 03-22-2020, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koapaka View Post
I'm sorry, but I feel ANYTHING that minimizes the exposure to those working hard helps the staff. You say tomato and I say tomoto
Since our entire family is that front line, with thousands of hours wearing masks. I can tell you from experience it would not help. We have fit tested different masks, two masks, multiple use of one mask. So far nothing else works

Last edited by asianthree; 03-22-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
sewing, machine, time, resources, extend

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.