Are we going to be turning our clocks back next month or not?

Closed Thread
Old 10-14-2020, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAAndre View Post
On this issue, there are plenty of studies that feel a later start to the school day would benefit all students. Young people tend not to be "morning people". Also getting out later in the afternoon might just keep lots of them out of trouble. Additionally this is the year to try it since many kids are home now anyway.
Hey, stop making excuses for teenagers' behaviors. Teens need to start being "morning people". Their future employers will not accept being late for work (unless they work a second or third shift). Also, "getting out later in the afternoon to keep them out of trouble" is bogus. Buckle up, teens. And parents: STOP HOVERING OVER THEM.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:10 AM

Senator Cantwell is the minority leader of the committee - not the chair. Republicans chair all Senate committees. Ask them why.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:44 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Does anybody really know what time it is?
Old 10-14-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Senator Rubio introduced a bill that would make Daylight Saving Time permanent. Many states including Florida have passed legislature to do this and many others have shown the desire to join in but it all has to be approved by Congress.

I haven't heard anything more about this and I did email Senator Rubio's office but got no reply yet. It's getting close to the turn-back day and boy could we use a little more brightness in our lives this dreary year. Nothing is more depressing than when it gets dark so early and there are plenty of studies that show the benefits of the extra hour of sunlight.

Let's hope this law passes and we finally get rid of these annoying time changes. Contact your representatives and support this effort.

Some updated info:

In 2018, California and Florida voted to make DST permanent. The Florida Sunshine Protection Act was passed in the state Legislature with overwhelming support for year-round daylight saving time. While California voters authorized the change, legislative action is still pending.

In 2019, six more states passed legislation for year-round DST, if authorized by Congress: Arkansas, Delaware, Maine, Oregon, Tennessee, and Washington.

In 2020 seven more states have enacted legislation: Utah, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Wyoming.

As of September 1, 2020, at least 32 states have considered 85 pieces of legislation.
Yes we here in Florida will change our clocks back in Nov.
Old 10-14-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Kid View Post
Does anybody really know what time it is?
Does anybody even care, care about time?
Old 10-14-2020, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Why bother to change??? It's going to be the same amount of daylight no matter what the clock is showing. After December 21st, the sun rises about a minute earlier each morning and sets about a minute later every day until June 21st when it reverses this process, taking you back to Dec21st which has the longest darkness and shortest daylight for all of us north of the equator.

Or maybe you could be a real snowbird and head to South America for the winter.

(I know that my post doesn't answer the OP ... it's for all the other commentators).
Old 10-14-2020, 07:25 AM
Send a message via AIM to Grill Meister Send a message via Yahoo to Grill Meister

Did the finger pointing and cross-party bickering and fighting just start recently?
Old 10-14-2020, 08:07 AM
Veteran member

Hallelujah and Amen to the OP!!!!!
Old 10-14-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Senator Rubio introduced a bill that would make Daylight Saving Time permanent. Many states including Florida have passed legislature to do this and many others have shown the desire to join in but it all has to be approved by Congress.

I haven't heard anything more about this and I did email Senator Rubio's office but got no reply yet. It's getting close to the turn-back day and boy could we use a little more brightness in our lives this dreary year. Nothing is more depressing than when it gets dark so early and there are plenty of studies that show the benefits of the extra hour of sunlight.

Let's hope this law passes and we finally get rid of these annoying time changes. Contact your representatives and support this effort.

Some updated info:

In 2018, California and Florida voted to make DST permanent. The Florida Sunshine Protection Act was passed in the state Legislature with overwhelming support for year-round daylight saving time. While California voters authorized the change, legislative action is still pending.

In 2019, six more states passed legislation for year-round DST, if authorized by Congress: Arkansas, Delaware, Maine, Oregon, Tennessee, and Washington.

In 2020 seven more states have enacted legislation: Utah, Georgia, Idaho, Louisiana, South Carolina, and Wyoming.

As of September 1, 2020, at least 32 states have considered 85 pieces of legislation.
As far as I know it was never acted on
Old 10-14-2020, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem4616 View Post
I believe that I read that it would take an act of Congress to stop the seasonal clock changes

however, right now they're all pretty busy pointing fingers at one another, appearing on talk shows, raising money and trying to get re-elected to do anything that might add value
Don’t know who you are but you just summarized Congress excellently !
Old 10-14-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malsua View Post
I'm surprised the insurance companies haven't pushed for this.

There is an uptick in deadly accidents just after the time changes. I believe the spring forward one is worse than the fall back one.
The reason for this originally was for school children walk in g to school or taking the bus
Old 10-14-2020, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindyCityzen View Post
Senator Cantwell is the minority leader of the committee - not the chair. Republicans chair all Senate committees. Ask them why.
Okay. After a little more research I found out that Senator Roger Wicker is the Chair. I just wrote him too.

Thanks.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRM0614 View Post
Don’t know who you are but you just summarized Congress excellently !
Interestingly there are 13 cosponsors on this bill and 5 are Democrats including Diane Feinstein.
Old 10-14-2020, 08:57 AM
Default Dst

Quote:
Did some research. Congress referred this legislation on 03/07/2019 to the Subcommittee on Consumer Protection and Commerce. Apparently the head of that subcommittee, Senator Maria Cantwell (D - Washington) has decided to just not act on it. There it sits collecting dust. Why should this one person decide to ignore what most of the country wants?

BTW - I did send a message via her website and received this response:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact my office. I appreciate hearing from you about the important issues facing our nation, and will certainly keep your views in mind as I work with my colleagues in the Senate. Due to the high volume of incoming emails, I am only able to respond to inquiries from constituents in Washington State . . . and I thank you again for taking the time to write."

I do hope at least someone read it.
Kind of what Mitch mcconnell does all the time
Old 10-14-2020, 09:02 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,136 Times in 881 Posts

Quote:
On this issue, there are plenty of studies that feel a later start to the school day would benefit all students. Young people tend not to be "morning people". Also getting out later in the afternoon might just keep lots of them out of trouble.

Additionally this is the year to try it since many kids are home now anyway.
I agree with you, but it gets tricky when parents have to still get to work early. Maybe everything should get pushed to start and end later.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, senator, loves, depressing, close

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.